Shoutbox

@liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? (/showthread.php?tid=68467)

@liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Hank on 11-15-2006 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LG
"In the Hotmail and Live Mail support blog today, it was hinted that the
@Live accounts created with the javascript hack posted here on LiveSide (no
longer working),  on the Mail Support blog itself (in a comment) and on
Mess.be and elsewhere may not survive long:
  Because I don't want to get into the business of censoring comments, I did
not delete the instructions for creating an @live.com account. @live.com
accounts are not legitimately available anywhere except in the Netherlands,
where we released Windows Live Mail (without the Beta) last week. If you
created an @live.com account using the instructions below, it's quite likely
the account will get blown away.

While it remains to be seen whether any action is taken against these newly
created accounts (and for the record no action has been taken - so far - on
accounts created from an earlier leak of a workaround to the @live address
creation process), it's beyond us here at LiveSide why any such action would
occur.

Windows Live fans (and at this point there are far too few of them), the
ones who follow sites like LiveSide, should be rewarded for their
enthusiasm, not punished.  If anything, Windows Live and Live Mail might
want to review their security procedures, and take their lumps for what was
at best a sloppy release.  If the addresses are revoked, it might well turn
out to be a public relations nightmare, and anger Windows Live's biggest
fans.  Classic case of two wrongs not making a right, if it were to happen."

Well i guess it was bound to happen, it was of no real use to me becuase i
couldnt migrate my information, plus some ppl did stupid stuff like live.gov
or added spaces which might stuff

Whatever happens happens and i dont think ppl should be too upset becuase
they did it the wrong way anyway

i found this in MS newsgroups..whats peoples thoughts on this?. hope people havent deleted there other account just to use the @live address
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by davidpolitis on 11-15-2006 at 11:00 AM

Hopefully this doesn't happen, although at least if it does, I still have my other email(s).

I personally think that Microsoft really badly has to fix security bugs, and that they should stop making only IE compatible sites, all it does is pisses off people and makes them hate Microsoft even more.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Hank on 11-15-2006 at 11:18 AM

totally agree...people that rushed into signup with it. its there own faultt if they didnt keep there other addy active to use Messenger

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by John Anderton on 11-15-2006 at 11:43 AM

tbh i couldn't care less :refuck:
:P

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Menthix on 11-15-2006 at 11:52 AM

Well, that was bound to happen. To be honest, they should just merge hotmail.com over to live.com. So when you have johndoe@hotmail.com you automatically get johndoe@live.com and still kep the hotmail one as an alias so you don't have to tell everybody you changed address.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Hank on 11-15-2006 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

Well, that was bound to happen. To be honest, they should just merge hotmail.com over to live.com. So when you have johndoe@hotmail.com you automatically get johndoe@live.com and still kep the hotmail one as an alias so you don't have to tell everybody you changed address.
agree.. netscape did it witrh @netscape.net address an diverted everyone to @aol.com address. only difference with @aol.com address is they get 2gigs storage where @netscape.net was only 250MB
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by alexp2_ad on 11-15-2006 at 12:03 PM

Not going to happen.  Remember the hack even longer ago, maybe a month or two before that let you get a @live address?  It only lasted a day or possibly less.  Those addresses still work, they aren't about to bother removing any.  Why would they?  What possible reason could they have to remove them?  Except Menthix's idea, of merging the addresses, but I doubt that'll happen, they didn't do that with the localised hotmail addresses when they launched.

Anyway, I doubt they'll remove them.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by prashker on 11-15-2006 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
tbh i couldn't care less :refuck:
:P

Same.

Luckily I didn't get one, and I can already delete all the @live :D

* prashker hugs "@live" Group ;D
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Stigmata on 11-15-2006 at 12:10 PM

i would be very pissed off if i couldnt use my new email address anymore..

Seeing as it is now my main one.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by CookieRevised on 11-15-2006 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
i found this in MS newsgroups..whats peoples thoughts on this?. hope people havent deleted there other account just to use the @live address
I already posted my thoughts about that in that other thread where that hacking code was published (thread which now is T&T'ed and pruned).

I find it stupid and immature that people abuse such a system (yes, even if it has flaws which should be fixed) to register many emails. Emails which they probably wont use anyways.

Also, it prevents honest people from making the addy they want once the proper official method is released in that country, since many will be taken (but not used) already.

And not to mention the mails they make like tonyblair@live.co.uk which will confuse or trick people (eg: malicious people making microsoft@live.it or something and sending mails to people asking for their password, etc)...

I think it is very good if they clear out all those mails. If people where stupid enough to create them using that script and starting to use it as their main mail, they should bare the possible consequences too.

It is stupid to first sign up using that hacking script and then being pissed of at MS and blame them for clearing those mails.

--

As for the mails created in the proper way, of course they shouldn't be deleted. And the people having this, can be pissed of at MS if they were removed too for all I care... Though, it has to be said, the whole @live mail addresses are still in beta stage! So using it as your main one is always risky bussiness.
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Sunshine on 11-15-2006 at 12:55 PM

I think it be a good thing if they cleaned out those illegally gained adresses. It's not that hard to clean out accounts made after a certain date for domains not yet released and it will prevent problems later on.

Reasons/explanation why i think they should:
1. To show that MS won't be played with...if ppl get to keep those accounts imo it would be rewarding bad behaviour..
2. At some point people will get the possibility (hotmail might even dissapear totally) to transfer over their hotmail account to the new live.com account (yes transfer not having to readd all your contacts in a new id etc etc)....those who had f.e. blabla@hotmail.com will have oldest right to gain blabla@live.com and might (should imo) even automaticly get it....imagine the problems that would arrise if that addy was taken illegally already.
3. If there was no hotmail account with the name you wanted you can always register those live.com ones when they are officially released..just keep watchin the news.

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
quote:
Originally posted by LG
. @live.com
accounts are not legitimately available anywhere except in the Netherlands, where we released Windows Live Mail (without the Beta)...

Wrong, we can't get live.com accounts here either..only live.nl accounts were released. @live.com accounts are not released anywhere yet.
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Hank on 11-15-2006 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I already posted my thoughts about that in that other thread where that hacking code was published (thread which now is T&T'ed and pruned).
i didn't look sorry Cookie but hey im like DZ Lazy :refuck:
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by MC Inferno on 11-15-2006 at 02:14 PM

I know this a noob Q, but will my @hotmail.com automatically be changed to live.com or get deleted? I need to keep it the same.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by John Anderton on 11-15-2006 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
ould just merge hotmail.com over to live.com. So when you have johndoe@hotmail.com you automatically get johndoe@live.com and still kep the hotmail one as an alias so you don't have to tell everybody you changed address.
Yeah. Beats the hell out of having 2 addresses :-/
Automatic transmission from hotmail.com to live.com is the best thing that can happen.
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by elektra on 11-15-2006 at 07:34 PM

Well i got one and if its deleted ill go to my old hotmail one which is in my sig..
i doubt if its deleted TBH because millions of people registered one..so they will not delete it one by one will they

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Kenji on 11-15-2006 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by quacky
Well i got one and if its deleted ill go to my old hotmail one which is in my sig..
i doubt if its deleted TBH because millions of people registered one..so they will not delete it one by one will they
search: @live
results: 3,000,000
select all > delete :zippy:

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Nathan on 11-15-2006 at 07:52 PM

Erm,
It's not hard to go to the database "@live" (which i am assuming is the name of it" and click "Drop Table". Or even "select all delete.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by elektra on 11-15-2006 at 07:55 PM

Well if its that easy then....why dont ms do it?
i might go to my hotmail address again...

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by vaccination on 11-15-2006 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by quacky
Well if its that easy then....why dont ms do it?

because if they do, they could potentially get alot of angry people on their doorstep. I supose they are in a bit of a 'conundrum' over what to do and they will go through each outcome and see which is best.

well that's what i'd do anyway
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Nathan on 11-15-2006 at 07:59 PM

Because, they are debating whether they should do it or not.
Don't forget we had a right (in a way) If it is there to be done. Why can't we?

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Oxy on 11-15-2006 at 08:01 PM

Well, all the contacts i have on my @live i have on @hotmail, so switching wont be a problem. But i think that deleting these accounts will harm MS's reputation. I think that they will keep them IMO, and just have a @windowslive or something instead.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Menthix on 11-16-2006 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Don't forget we had a right (in a way) If it is there to be done. Why can't we?
You actually never had any rights at all... every basic EULA (End User License Agreement) prohibits unintended use of the service. I must say I haven't read the EULA for hotmail/msn mail, but I'm pretty sure there is a clause like that in it, which means the can do whatever they like... because you DID agree to that EULA and you DID use the service the way it wasn't intended to be used by using the javascript hack.

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Voldemort on 11-16-2006 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by skillz
Well, all the contacts i have on my @live i have on @hotmail, so switching wont be a problem. But i think that deleting these accounts will harm MS's reputation. I think that they will keep them IMO, and just have a @windowslive or something instead.
To be honest: do you think a 12 year old kid's opinion under a nickname will make any difference to microsoft?
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Stigmata on 11-16-2006 at 10:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Liveside.net

Hi all-

We just wanted to update LiveSide's readers – We will NOT be revoking @live.com email addresses recently obtained by many of you. We love all the enthusiasm for Windows Live, and certainly don’t want to stamp down on it in any way. We will however keep an eye out to make sure that accounts are not abused (for instance, if obtained by obvious spammers).

I'll watch this comment thread in case you have any questions!

Kevin Briody

Windows Live Team

Kevin Briody
Community Marketing | Windows Live & MSN

:)

Good to hear :)
RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Sunshine on 11-16-2006 at 10:52 AM

* Sunshine awaits the complaints towards Microsoft when hotmail accounts will be ported over to live.com ones and people can't keep their old account names (unless ofcourse they get those afterall..shame for the ones who gained it illegally)....

Once again i am amazed at how easily Microsoft is influencable and is even rewarding misbehaviour this way...

Nice signal they gave out here: "go abuse the system, we won't do shit about it"

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by surfichris on 11-16-2006 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
* Sunshine awaits the complaints towards Microsoft when hotmail accounts will be ported over to live.com ones and people can't keep their old account names (unless ofcourse they get those afterall..shame for the ones who gained it illegally)....
Accounts most probably will not be ported over like that. Joining the Live service will give you the option if the account is available using your existing name, yes.

But for a lot of accounts the expectation seems to be (from the Australian team at least) that most people will end up creating new accounts.

Another thing is that existing accounts will still use the @hotmail.com address but just have access to the live service.
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Nice signal they gave out here: "go abuse the system, we won't do shit about it"

That is not the signal they're sending out at all!!

Microsoft can't just go and delete these email addresses that people have started using (for email, IM etc) because then it becomes more of an ethical dilemma to them and that is when problems begin.

They've taken the only approach that a corporation like them can - they've disabled any further registrations.

They stated that any abuse such as spam will not be tolerated.

As for some of us, we've had live.com.au (or other domains) legitimately since the opening of the services. (I speak for myself here who's had a live.com.au address for quite a while now)
@live addresses are saved! by Oxy on 11-16-2006 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be

Maybe thanks to all emotional, sometimes threatening comments on Mail Support's news on Tuesday, Kevin Briody from the Windows Live team decided to step in and leave a comment over at LiveSide, assuring everyone that "(Microsoft) will NOT be revoking @live.com email addresses recently obtained by many of you. We love all the enthusiasm for Windows Live, and certainly don’t want to stamp down on it in any way. We will however keep an eye out to make sure that accounts are not abused (for instance, if obtained by obvious spammers)."

A happy ending for all of us then, including Microsoft's own employees! May I mention that we received a thank you note from one of them, informing us that he/she wouldn't have a @live addy yet if it wasn't for Mess.be. You're welcome!

Just thought you would like to know :cheesy:
RE: @live addresses are saved! by DarkMe on 11-16-2006 at 05:41 PM

yays!
good news
i was wondering they won't close them :rolleyes:

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by CookieRevised on 11-16-2006 at 07:53 PM

* CookieRevised goes stealing a car....

And they wont do anything about it because I'm already using it...

:rolleyes:

they are very quick to revoke awards, yet when people REALY abuse something they say "oh well, nothing to worry about"

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by RaPLeX on 11-16-2006 at 08:03 PM

lot of people has start using @live.com account. there cant close it :P

RE: @liveside accounts to be deleted? thoughts? by Sunshine on 11-16-2006 at 08:06 PM

It looks like Microsoft is yet again giving in to those publicly complaining (as is what was done over at LiveSide.net). Complaining about the possible loss of what wasn't to be theirs (yet) in the first place this time.

I seriously don't get it..how can bad behaviour be seen as enthousiasm and even be rewarded (yes rewarded as they get to keep their illegally gained accounts...at expensive of those who are waiting patiently for live.com accounts to be released...stealing the adresses they want and possibly even have oldest rights to)...what is this world coming to?