Shoutbox

computer keeps restarting by itself - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: computer keeps restarting by itself (/showthread.php?tid=68521)

computer keeps restarting by itself by TheMusicPirate on 11-16-2006 at 02:10 PM

hi, i am having a problem with my computer , it keeps restarting by itself, at first it would let me into windows i would be able to use the computer then it would restart, now when i turn on my computer it boots up, i hear the CPU fan going for about 5 seconds then it turns off.

EDIT: i have tried everything, i cleaned out the CPU fan, and the rest of the fans, i left the tower open and tried it, nothing, i tried it with a fan blowing air into the computer and still nothing.

RE: computer keeps restarting by itself by Sunshine on 11-16-2006 at 03:01 PM

Can you get into anything at all or does the comp just shut off? Can you start up your comp with a diskette or CD (if so you may repair Windows or reformat your HDD...if it's not the HDD thats borked that is)? If neither i would just bring it into a comp shop to see if there's anything left to safe....

RE: computer keeps restarting by itself by YottabyteWizard on 11-16-2006 at 03:03 PM

A friend of mine had this problem with a computer...

It could be RAM/Motherboard/HDD, so, I would suggest to take it to a computer store....

RE: RE: computer keeps restarting by itself by TheMusicPirate on 11-16-2006 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Can you get into anything at all or does the comp just shut off? Can you start up your comp with a diskette or CD (if so you may repair Windows or reformat your HDD...if it's not the HDD thats borked that is)? If neither i would just bring it into a comp shop to see if there's anything left to safe....

repairing windows, what does that do, does it format my computer?

i haven't tried with a cd, i don't have a floppy disk drive installed.
RE: computer keeps restarting by itself by YottabyteWizard on 11-16-2006 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheMusicPirate

No, it won't format your computer, it will just replace windows files.

Also, you don't need a floppy drive, you only need Windows CD and on the screen where it says it found another installation of windows press 'R' to repair it.
RE: RE: computer keeps restarting by itself by TheMusicPirate on 11-16-2006 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
quote:
Originally posted by TheMusicPirate

No, it won't format your computer, it will just replace windows files.

i'll try all those things that you guys have mentioned, thanks for your help.