Shoutbox

Cloning a CD - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cloning a CD (/showthread.php?tid=68630)

Cloning a CD by alegator on 11-19-2006 at 06:44 AM

I have a Dell OEM WinXP OS installation CD that came with my Dell PC. It has over 4 years and it's time to make a backup of it just in case it gets scratched, etc. What's the best method to make a clone CD? I guess there's lots of software for this (Nero, etc), just would like advise on the most reliable/precise method given that it's an OS installation CD. Thanks.

RE: Cloning a CD by MattyRid on 11-19-2006 at 06:53 AM

If your dell computer had burning capibilites, it more than likely has burning software on there, I suggest using that.

If you want to use something different, Nero would probably one of the better ones I have used, simple and easy.

RE: Cloning a CD by John Anderton on 11-19-2006 at 07:53 AM

Nero does the job perfectly. The XP installation disc doesn't have any protection i think.

RE: Cloning a CD by alegator on 11-19-2006 at 09:07 AM

-Should I use Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express? (both have options to perform a CD Copy)
- Any advanced settings, or is it a click'n go process?
- My PC has only one CD/DVD burner drive. Should I set the virtual drive (I have Alcohol 120%) as destination and then in a 2nd stage use it as source to burn the blank CD?

RE: Cloning a CD by MattyRid on 11-19-2006 at 09:13 AM

1) Nero ROM or Nero Express...doesn't make any difference, I use the ROM only because I have more control when making something like an Audio CD, but for copying CD's, express should be find

2) It should be a click and go process, nothing should be complex

3) What Nero will do is read the disc and store it in a temporary location. And then ask you to put a Blank disc in and burn it. After it finishes burning, it will delete it. Even you you do what you want to do...it shouldn't make any difference

RE: Cloning a CD by alegator on 11-19-2006 at 09:32 AM

Thanks MattyRid...regards