Shoutbox

Should i get vista? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Should i get vista? (/showthread.php?tid=68683)

Should i get vista? by Oxy on 11-20-2006 at 04:56 PM

Okay, heres the deal. I am getting a new dvd re-writter for xmas (hopefully) and i was thinking about getting windows vista. However, a thought came to mind. i have 3 other PC's in my home (used by my brother and my mum) and the product code for my computer was used for theirs as well (they didn't wanna pay for it themselves :dodgy: ) and if i install  vista, i can't go back to xp without paying for it again/ breaking the law.
So i want to know if in this situation i should get vista or not?

Thanks.

RE: Should i get vista? by EBFL on 11-20-2006 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skillz
Okay, heres the deal. I am getting a new dvd re-writter for xmas (hopefully) and i was thinking about getting windows vista. However, a thought came to mind. i have 3 other PC's in my home (used by my brother and my mum) and the product code for my computer was used for theirs as well (they didn't wanna pay for it themselves :dodgy: ) and if i install  vista, i can't go back to xp without paying for it again/ breaking the law.

Thanks.
Yes. I think you should get vista.(Y)
RE: Should i get vista? by DarkMe on 11-20-2006 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:

Thanks.
well, if your system can afford it yes
but still vista has bugs in:
file sharing
erasing files
installing programs
but omfg VISTA AERO ROCKS :p
or you can make a partition and install Vista to have both them, XP & Vista
RE: Should i get vista? by Oxy on 11-20-2006 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarkMe
or you can make a partition

I don't think im familliar with this 'partition', tell me more please?
RE: Should i get vista? by EBFL on 11-20-2006 at 05:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:

Thanks.
well, if your system can afford it yes
but still vista has bugs in:
file sharing
erasing files
installing programs
but omfg VISTA AERO ROCKS :p
or you can make a partition and install Vista to have both them, XP & Vista
Yeah, Lucky you.. :(
My system can't take vista.. :(
RE: Should i get vista? by DarkMe on 11-20-2006 at 05:03 PM

quote:
quote:
or you can make a partition

I don't think im familliar with this 'partition', tell me more please?
How to make a partition ;)
RE: Should i get vista? by Oxy on 11-20-2006 at 05:10 PM

quote:

How to make a partition ;)

Hey cool, thanks!

RE: Should i get vista? by Kenji on 11-20-2006 at 05:21 PM

quote:
but still vista has bugs in
Vista is final, how will there be bugs, there will be un noticable ones yes, big bugs no.

Vista works fine for me only one bug with wireless, and would work fine for anyone with 1GB ram, a decent processor, and a good graphics card that is WDM compatiable.
RE: Should i get vista? by WDZ on 11-20-2006 at 06:24 PM

"Microsoft's internal processes required Vista's bug count to drop to 500 or fewer before the product could go into escrow for RTM."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_Vista#Pre-RTM

=/

Personally, I'd wait for Service Pack 1 before installing Vista... :p

RE: Should i get vista? by elektra on 11-20-2006 at 07:11 PM

Well, vista is a great operating system but with a lack of new features, i would get it when, we really know how good the release is (look at public reviews and such) see what the say about it, if its good get it! if its bad dont get it, i would get windows vista premium (or something like that).

Hope it helps

RE: Should i get vista? by Max on 11-20-2006 at 07:30 PM

One copy of Vista will set you back like £200.  So, go onto Ebuyer.com and order three copies of XP Media Centre 2005 with Vista Upgrade Coupon for £75 a pop and then on January 30th pay £8 a copy to get the free upgrade to Home Premium, or £95 for Windows XP Professional and spend £8 a pop to Vista Business. :)

That is what I am doing.

RE: RE: Should i get vista? by Matti on 11-20-2006 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Well, I guess Microsoft thinks lots of people will wait for SP1 and therefore they will release an SP1 of Vista soon after the public release (like 2-3 months after), so not all major bugs can be fixed. Maybe we should wait for SP2? :P

Well, if you're pc can take it and you can get it on a separate partition, go for it. However, I don't think installing it over XP isn't a good idea yet. :-/
RE: Should i get vista? by Oxy on 11-20-2006 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Max
One copy of Vista will set you back like £200.  So, go onto Ebuyer.com and order three copies of XP Media Centre 2005 with Vista Upgrade Coupon for £75 a pop and then on January 30th pay £8 a copy to get the free upgrade to Home Premium, or £95 for Windows XP Professional and spend £8 a pop to Vista Business. :)

That is what I am doing.

WOW! that's a great idea!
RE: Should i get vista? by DarkMe on 11-20-2006 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Well, I guess Microsoft thinks lots of people will wait for SP1 and therefore they will release an SP1 of Vista soon after the public release (like 2-3 months after), so not all major bugs can be fixed. Maybe we should wait for SP2? (Smilie)
i dont think that all the people would wait for it, maybe i'll wait til SP1

I have RC1 and its buggy so as early as SP1 comes out i'll be buying it :p
RE: Should i get vista? by ShawnZ on 11-20-2006 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
"Microsoft's internal processes required Vista's bug count to drop to 500 or fewer before the product could go into escrow for RTM."

=/

thats excluding the thousands flagged "by design"...
RE: Should i get vista? by Ptoye on 11-21-2006 at 06:05 PM

I would get it if i was u....do as it says up there^^^ by getting MCE and £8 upgrade to Premium! If its a possible for you to run them then why not?

I am getting the business edition on december 6th! Its the one they are rolling out to Multinational companys and my mum happens to work for one :D. then I am getting a free upgrade on January 30th  for my new laptop!!:D:D:D

But yeh if i was you i would do it!!Aero  Rocks!!

Hope this helps :P

Pete

RE: Should i get vista? by Thor on 11-21-2006 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

=/

I'd wait until I get a graphics card that can handle those 15% of extra load :P

Even though just running it, wlm, ff, mirc, etc goes nice, just games that are a bit slow. :/
RE: Should i get vista? by DarkMe on 11-21-2006 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
Even though just running it, wlm, ff, mirc, etc goes nice, just games that are a bit slow. :/
I usually run wlm, ff, ie and wmp
and with 512 in ram its enough although sometimes music doesnt play right =/
RE: Should i get vista? by ins4ne on 11-21-2006 at 10:59 PM

i'll wait at least 6 months... good ol' WinXP does its work. why change to buggy software when you have a stable and almost bug-free OS?? my oppinion. and i know there are people out there which think the same. but you can do like you want. its you PC.

RE: Should i get vista? by Sunshine on 11-21-2006 at 11:00 PM

Don't get Vista yet...wait it out for a while when it gets released. Then look at what people who upgraded think etc., also take notice that not all your software will work on Vista..same for drivers (there might not even be Vista drivers for some stuff yet).

RE: Should i get vista? by ins4ne on 11-21-2006 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Don't get Vista yet...wait it out for a while when it gets released. Then look at what people who upgraded think etc., also take notice that not all your software will work on Vista..same for drivers (there might not even be Vista drivers for some stuff yet).
thats a fact i forgot to notice ;) most software and hardware aren't vista ready yet :rolleyes:

ps: how many version will come out? like xp home and pro. i saw once 4 or 5 different vistas?? premium, ultimate, worldowner,... :S

pps: worldowner was a joke 8-)
RE: Should i get vista? by Sunshine on 11-21-2006 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
ps: how many version will come out? like xp home and pro. i saw once 4 or 5 different vistas?? premium, ultimate, worldowner,... :S
6 in total: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Enterprise and Starter.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

RE: Should i get vista? by ins4ne on 11-21-2006 at 11:19 PM

thx sunshine :) so many versions :S. when you have been bothered to buy vista, then the next problem occurs: which one :lol:

omg XP 4 ever

RE: Should i get vista? by DarkMe on 11-21-2006 at 11:20 PM

i think ultimate would be the best option to choose
as it has all the features that you could resquest

RE: Should i get vista? by ins4ne on 11-21-2006 at 11:21 PM

$399 :rolleyes:

ps: there are ways ... ;)

RE: Should i get vista? by Chestah on 11-21-2006 at 11:33 PM

I'd personally say yes. But in the case of most users i'd only buy it if you had extra money at this stage.

If not, then i'd recommend buying it in another 6 months or so. Or i guess if you are worried about current bugs you could even wait still SP1 (planned late 07 i think).

Edit: theres no way that Ultimate is the best for everyone =/. Hardly anyone will need the extra features of Ultimate.

Vista Home Premium is what most users will need, including most people on these forums.

RE: Should i get vista? by lizard.boy on 11-21-2006 at 11:58 PM

I probably wont be getting vista until somewhere around June.

RE: Should i get vista? by Fivesixy3 on 02-04-2007 at 10:50 PM

you should get vista, but dont go for the UPGRADE, since most xp systems are out dated, GET A NEW PC with VISTA in it! This way you wont spend money for no reason and when you open up a fresh new pc ITLL RUN :)

RE: Should i get vista? by Pyroteq on 02-05-2007 at 06:27 AM

Im waiting for SP1, but i also need to upgrade parts of my computer to run vista well..
I have 1gb ram (need another 1) and a new graphics card. i have a radeon x800xt that could run it, but i want performance!

RE: Should i get vista? by Lou on 02-05-2007 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmo
quote:
but still vista has bugs in
Vista is final, how will there be bugs, there will be un noticable ones yes, big bugs no.

Vista works fine for me only one bug with wireless, and would work fine for anyone with 1GB ram, a decent processor, and a good graphics card that is WDM compatiable.
I beg to differ. We are both running vista, and if you look properly, like I do, you will notice bugs. There are bugs scattered all over the operating system, but that doesn't mean it's not good. It just means that it still needs some work (hence a service pack)
RE: Should i get vista? by Nagamasa on 02-05-2007 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyroteq
Im waiting for SP1
I would wait for it too.

Stupid buggy computer turns of whenever I play Warcraft III :S
RE: Should i get vista? by joey on 02-06-2007 at 10:10 AM

ive got a better idea, just switch to linux! most programs you get for windows, someones made an alternative thats just a good and usually free too. and theres loads of versino of it dead cheap, and you can run it on as many systems as you like. :)

RE: Should i get vista? by dbgarza on 02-13-2007 at 04:44 AM

I'm staying with my good ol' XP for now, even though my computer is new and it can handle Vista, except for the Aero since my graphics card is a 256 MB Connect 3D ATI Radeon 9250 but with Pixel Shader 1.4 and Aero needs of Pixel Shader 2.0.

But I really don't feel the need to change to Vista for now, mostly because of the hardware and software compatibility, though XP is starting to lose support slowly, as an example the game Halo 2 won't run on XP, is a Windows Vista only game, but since I'm not much a hardcore gamer I really don't care much about that XD

RE: Should i get vista? by Hank on 02-13-2007 at 05:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

=/

thatss what i think im gonna do is wait till SP1 is released an then install Vista
RE: Should i get vista? by Jesus on 02-13-2007 at 11:03 AM

After reading this thread, I get the feeling that the main argument for switching to Vista is its eyecandy*-)

Is that all people care about these days? I say switch to StyleXP or something like that...

RE: Should i get vista? by RaPLeX on 02-13-2007 at 11:18 AM

U can get when you need,otherwise i think u can wait for sp1.

RE: Should i get vista? by Eddie on 02-13-2007 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaPLeX
U can get when you need,otherwise i think u can wait for sp1.
Yeah i advise waiting for SP 1 :) Although it runs well for me :)