Shoutbox

Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? (/showthread.php?tid=68720)

Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 11-21-2006 at 06:25 PM

Hey there,

I heard that when switching from MSN 7.5 & MSG+ to Windows Live messenger + MSGPLus!Live you will lose all your settings and custom smilies etc.

So i was wondering if by now all those settings and smilies were automatically being transferred or if there was a way to migrate them.

Not that i'm some smiley whore, but i'd hate to set everything all over again. :P

Thanks for any info.

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by alexp2_ad on 11-21-2006 at 06:36 PM

Pretty much everything should be kept.  Emoticons definitely shouldn't be lost at this stage.

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by MattyRid on 11-21-2006 at 08:52 PM

Only thing you will lose during the upgrade are all the custom names you had with Messenger Plus! 3. This is because Messenger Plus! Live not having that feature due to Microsoft's Nickname feature in Windows Live Messenger.

Apart from that, nothing else should be lost.

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 11-22-2006 at 07:19 AM

Thanks for the info guys. :)

And for the custom away names; i don't think that will be a problem because i wasnt actually using any. :)

Ok, so i switched to Live messenger + MSGPLUSLive and everything went fine.

Though all of the sudden every contact i ever blocked from my MSN list is now in a seperate list at the bottom of my contact list.

Will they be able to see me again all of the sudden?

Is it possible to get rid of this?

Removing every contact manually would mean i would have to erase 250 contacts by hand :\.

Thanks again for any info. :)
RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by prashker on 11-22-2006 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJ_The_SP
Removing every contact manually would mean i would have to erase 250 contacts by hand :\.

Yes, you can ask me or marissa. I had 360 and I had to remove manually.

You will just have to remove every single one manually.

They will not be able to see you online.
RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by matty on 11-22-2006 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJ_The_SP
Ok, so i switched to Live messenger + MSGPLUSLive and everything went fine.

Though all of the sudden every contact i ever blocked from my MSN list is now in a seperate list at the bottom of my contact list.

Will they be able to see me again all of the sudden?

Is it possible to get rid of this?

Thanks again for any info. :)
They are just email contacts, (Non-Instant Messaging Contacts), you can hide this group.
RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 11-29-2006 at 04:06 PM

Ok, so everyone is now working fine but i still have one question. :P

With my previously installed MSN 7.5 + MSG+ i could type (!WAT) in my contacts messeging window and it would display the song running in my winamp.

After i switched to Messenger live + MSG!Live+ this no longer seems possible.
I went through all the options but i just dont see it...
I do see the ability to add a script for it however.

Do i have to add a script or is there already a way to do this again?

Thanks. :)

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by RaceProUK on 11-29-2006 at 04:11 PM

Turn on 'What I'm Listening To', and use (!MYMEDIA) ;)

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 11-30-2006 at 12:16 AM

(!MYMEDIA) doesnt seem to be working.

I am using Winamp though, is that a problem?
(I know it wasnt before...)

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by RaceProUK on 11-30-2006 at 02:09 PM

Do you have a plugin for WinAmp that sets WLM's Now Playing? Toaster is a good one. Get that installed and running, then try again.

Sorry, forgot to mention you need a plugin for your media player too.

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 12-03-2006 at 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info... i now have Toaster installed, but what key/command do i use to show ppl im talking with the song i am listening to? :)

Thanks.

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by RaceProUK on 12-03-2006 at 11:21 PM

You may need to go into Toasters settings and enable the MSN/WLM Now Playing feature, as well as turn it on in WLM of course ;) The option in Toaster should be easy enough to find: it's very easy to configure.

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 12-09-2006 at 07:57 PM

Sweet, its working now.

Thanks for all the help. :)

Would it be possible to give (!MYMEDIA) an alias for MSN use btw? :)

RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by RaceProUK on 12-10-2006 at 07:11 PM

You mean for MSN Messenger 7.5? In that case, just use Messenger Plsu! 3 and (!WAT).

RE: RE: Migrating MSGPlus settings when switching to Windows Live Messenger? by DJ_The_SP on 12-11-2006 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
You mean for MSN Messenger 7.5? In that case, just use Messenger Plsu! 3 and (!WAT).

No no, i meant for Messenger Live.

With Messenger 7.5 ; (!WAT)  used to work fine... but with Messenger Live (!MYMEDIA) is pretty long to type. :P

Any way i can set a different alias to it?