Shoutbox

Contacts on *sidebar* - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Contacts on *sidebar* (/showthread.php?tid=68820)

Contacts on *sidebar* by leyton01 on 11-25-2006 at 06:34 AM

Any plans on releasing a similar function to Contacts on Desktop that is compatible with the Vista Sidebar?  Would be great to dock a selected number of contacts to the sidebar and use them just like Contacts on Desktop.

RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by user27089 on 11-25-2006 at 08:56 AM

I don't think Patchou has many plays for Windows Vista yet, as it isn't yet officially out and selling in the shops and it'll take a few years for most people to have it, so what's the point?

RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by NiteMare on 11-25-2006 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't think Patchou has many plays for Windows Vista yet, as it isn't yet officially out and selling in the shops and it'll take a few years for most people to have it, so what's the point?
to be honest, more people then you think have it, or will get it when it comes out...
RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by Vilkku on 11-25-2006 at 09:05 AM

Check this out ;)

RE: RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by leyton01 on 11-25-2006 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

sidebar is available for XP as well.  The kind of people who use msg plus are the kind of people who will adopt Vista early.

Vilkku - I have looked at that - it is pretty clumsy but hopefully it will improve as it goes through the beta stage.  The functionality of contacts on desktop is perfect - it just needs to be dockable on the sidebar.  I am not sure how the original one is coded or how much work it would be to make them into a gadget though.

RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by DarkMe on 11-25-2006 at 06:16 PM

I have been using that gadget for a while although sometimes it consumes a lot of ram but nothing that can be fiexd in the future

edit: 400th POST!!

RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by Kenji on 11-25-2006 at 06:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leyton01
The kind of people who use msg plus are the kind of people who will adopt Vista early.
What makes you think that?

I know loads of people that dont even know what Vista is,  and most people who want it, cant run it.

Anyways, good find Vikku, ill use that when i get my Vista partion working again.
RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by sljaxon on 11-28-2006 at 01:10 AM

Great Sidebar gadget.

RE: RE: RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by CookieRevised on 11-28-2006 at 01:37 PM

quote:
The kind of people who use msg plus are the kind of people who will adopt Vista early.
Not at all.

The few hundreds of people on forums like this who use Plus! are serioulsy outnumbered by the millions of people who are average computer users and do not have the money to buy Vista, don't have the correct specs, or don't have the knowledge to illegally download and install it; let alone have a _real_ use for it.
RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by leyton01 on 11-28-2006 at 04:20 PM

You are all reading way too much into that comment.  It's not about numbers or percentages - it's about attitudes and computer knowledge.

The kind of people who want to mod their messenger installation and would know about and install the kind of program like msg plus are the kind of people who are likely to be early adopters of new technology.

The majority of us are geeks at heart (some not just at heart) - naturally we would have a higher usage of a newer OS when compared to the average user.

It's not about pure numbers, having the money or hardware to get vista - its about trends.

--------
I know loads of people that dont even know what Vista is,  and most people who want it, cant run it.

Anyways, good find Vikku, ill use that when i get my Vista partion working again.

--------
That is kind of my point - loads of people don't know about vista but they would also not know about msg plus.  People like YOU who use msg plus are the kind of people who are more likely to know and use Vista...

RE: RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by CookieRevised on 11-28-2006 at 08:36 PM

quote:
You are all reading way too much into that comment.  It's not about numbers or percentages - it's about attitudes and computer knowledge.

The kind of people who want to mod their messenger installation and would know about and install the kind of program like msg plus are the kind of people who are likely to be early adopters of new technology.
No... not at all.

Plus! is not aimed at geeks at all, it is aimed to the average user, the non-geek. That's the whole point. Plus! is made especially for the normal user, not for the wizkid.

Hence, Plus! is used by far more average computer users, than used by wizkids and geeks.

Simply reading the questions from the new people here already confirms this. If only people who are very knowledgeable use Plus!, like you say, we wouldn't have a support forum here and wouldn't explain quite often even the basic (to us) things.
RE: Contacts on *sidebar* by joemailey on 12-05-2006 at 03:24 PM

BUT

Most of the people i know who use plus , i have told to use plus.

Basically the same way plus spread word of mouth a lot, by experienced users.

Which is what this guy i think is trying to get at.