Shoutbox

Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? (/showthread.php?tid=68886)

Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by Lando81 on 11-26-2006 at 09:55 PM

This really Cofuses me.

Does anybody know?

RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by user27089 on 11-26-2006 at 10:30 PM

It won't work because the feature in Windows Live Messenger won't be compatible with it. I doubt it will ever be, it'll only be compatible with a few media players, the zune isn't one of them, it's a device.

It's similar to asking why an iPod won't work on it, it just won't.

Also, please don't double post, it's against the rules.

(By the way, this isn't a Microsoft support forum).

RE: RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by alexp2_ad on 11-26-2006 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
It's similar to asking why an iPod won't work on it, it just won't.

I think he means the zune media player / syncing software for the PC.

And if it doesn't, yeah, that's a bit rubbish.  Maybe someone will write some sort of plugin or something.
RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by Lando81 on 11-26-2006 at 10:44 PM

yeah thats what i mean thanks.

there better be a plug in soon.

RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by user27089 on 11-27-2006 at 10:34 AM

It will probably be supported in the next version of Windows Live Messenger or something.

RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by sljaxon on 11-28-2006 at 12:37 AM

quote:
It will probably be supported in the next version of Windows Live Messenger or something.
Maybe.

quote:
Originally posted by Lando81
yeah thats what i mean thanks.

there better be a plug in soon.
I seriously doubt it, Microsoft didn't even bother adding vista support ( http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35800 )

RE: RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by Salem on 11-30-2006 at 02:43 PM

quote:

Any application can actually be compatible with the current What I'm Listening To feature in MSN Messenger 7.0  (and newer). Its just needs to be programmed into the application/plug-in. So a Zune Media Player update could support it, it wouldn't necessarily need a WLM update.

Who knows, someone may even be able to right a MessengerPlus! Live script that would add the ability until then.

~Salem(@)
RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by RaceProUK on 11-30-2006 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Salem
So a Zune Media Player update could support it, it wouldn't necessarily need a WLM update.

It won't need a WLM update at all.
Since all these plugins for media players basically copy a lump of data into WLM's process space, WLM doesn't need to be media-player-aware at all. In fact, as some tools have shown, any program can trigger WLM's 'What I'm Listening To' feature with whatever data they like, so long as it conforms to the right format.

I can post more detail later if you like ;)
RE: RE: Why Wont Zune work with the "what im listening to" feature? by Salem on 11-30-2006 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Originally posted by Salem
So a Zune Media Player update could support it, it wouldn't necessarily need a WLM update.

It won't need a WLM update at all.
Since all these plugins for media players basically copy a lump of data into WLM's process space, WLM doesn't need to be media-player-aware at all. In fact, as some tools have shown, any program can trigger WLM's 'What I'm Listening To' feature with whatever data they like, so long as it conforms to the right format.

I can post more detail later if you like ;)

Yeh, I myself have experimented with it in one of my applications written in Visual Basic 6, and it's working perfectly (except for a few minor thing i'd like which i cant seem to get right).

So it basically up to the media player, program or plug-in developer(s) whether or not to support the WLM feature.

~Salem(@)