Shoutbox

WLM at school - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM at school (/showthread.php?tid=69020)

WLM at school by Nathan on 11-30-2006 at 10:02 PM

At school we have 2, 8mb lines.
But whenever i sign into wlm it sorta times out so it signs me off.
But i also get other errors link "Display name could not be changed" etc...
Is there anyway for wlm to stop timing out so soon, because i think its schools internet timing people out to save bandwidth etc..

Cheers for this,
Nathan

RE: WLM at school by xJ + on 12-01-2006 at 12:19 AM

I don't think there's a way, it's control externally.
Unless you hack which is not at all recommended.

RE: WLM at school by RaceProUK on 12-01-2006 at 04:18 PM

No amount of hacking will allow you to change the timeout. The WLM servers 'challenge' the client every 45 seconds, and if there's no reply within 5 seconds, you get booted.

RE: WLM at school by absorbation on 12-01-2006 at 05:14 PM

16MB is pretty slow for a school. You see it is designed so that many people can access one connection. If say just 10 people are using the Internet you would only have a 1.6MB connection. If it's in school hours or around this time that could be nearly a 100 people odd using the Internet. However I doubt that there is someone being a bandwidth hog, and your connection won't be that dramatically cut . You will probably find those on Messenger at the same time as you are slowing it down. I generally think your school's Internet is slow :P

RE: WLM at school by devilz-fury on 12-01-2006 at 05:29 PM

schools block wlm so thats why its blocking you.(Y)

RE: WLM at school by Kenji on 12-01-2006 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by devilz-fury
schools block wlm so thats why its blocking you.(Y)
Not his school.

And i agree with absorbation, 16MB is pretty slow for a school, my old school had about 5 8mb lines going in to the school or something :P

RE: WLM at school by Nathan on 12-01-2006 at 07:22 PM

Meh,
I got my facts wrong it's 4 x 8mb lines :$

Anyhow it's dead annoying especially when contacts need to contact me .

RE: WLM at school by saralk on 12-01-2006 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
16MB is pretty slow for a school. You see it is designed so that many people can access one connection. If say just 10 people are using the Internet you would only have a 1.6MB connection. If it's in school hours or around this time that could be nearly a 100 people odd using the Internet. However I doubt that there is someone being a bandwidth hog, and your connection won't be that dramatically cut . You will probably find those on Messenger at the same time as you are slowing it down. I generally think your school's Internet is slow :P

Thats not exactly, true. If there are 10 people on the line at the same time, it is very unlikely that they will be sending out a request or receiving something at the EXACT same time.

Most home broadband connections share the same line with around 50 other people, yet you rarely get any slowdown as a result.
RE: WLM at school by Wally on 12-03-2006 at 04:59 AM

i cant believe ur school actually lets you go on WLM at my school you cant even download it

RE: WLM at school by Lourix on 12-03-2006 at 05:48 AM

Well back at my school we could download anything we wanted but if we downloaded anything bad we had to pay the price and that was usually a week's detention.

RE: WLM at school by Wally on 12-03-2006 at 05:52 AM

you are very lucky we are so limited at my school eny site we go on is blocked or going to be blocked and if we get on a site thats been blocked we get banned for a month but nothing a proxy site cant fix :)

RE: WLM at school by Nathan on 12-03-2006 at 09:46 AM

Nah,
This is wlm on my laptop not working not the school pc's
The school pc's dont allow you to do anything!

RE: WLM at school by Eddie on 12-03-2006 at 02:14 PM

At my school we just launch proxies on VBScripts to get past everything :D And if they block that proxy we just recode the IP in the proxy and send it out again :P And most of us at school just launch stuff off of USB's school cant do anythin about that :D

RE: WLM at school by xJ + on 12-03-2006 at 03:20 PM

In my secondary school, I simply ask for the user name and password to log into the administrator account! And I gain full access to the PC, but the network is still controlled externally with full access without any time out whatsoever when using the administrator account!!
Don't ask me why, I just got the user name and password just by asking the PC admin.

You can try asking nicely... Though your chances of success is minimum.

RE: WLM at school by RaceProUK on 12-03-2006 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Most home broadband connections share the same line with around 50 other people
But the shared bits of line are metaphorically wider pipes, usually.

Anyway, the speed of any network (system) is determined by the speed of its slowest link. In a PC, this will be the CPU-memory link, and with broadband, it'll be the phone line and the exchange.