Shoutbox

Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows (/showthread.php?tid=69151)

Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Joe on 12-04-2006 at 06:58 PM

I have windows vista Beta 2 on one partition of my hard drive (V:\)
and I have Windows XP MCE 2005 on the other(C:\)

I have screwed up both OSes and i need to reinstall each one... I want to know how to format the c: partition and install my XP... then I should be good

I need to keep the v: partition until i am done messing with c: because it has everything i still need, i have no removable media to back up my files on.

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Chris4 on 12-04-2006 at 07:01 PM

My Computer -> Right-click C: Drive -> Format

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Ezra on 12-04-2006 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
My Computer -> Right-click C: Drive -> Format

That aint gonna work if you are running the OS from it.

Boot into the other OS then do it, put the cd in it afterwards choose the partition to install windows to and repeat the same step for the other partition.
RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Joe on 12-04-2006 at 07:37 PM

IF I format C:\, then boot from my installation CD... where will that get me?

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Ezra on 12-04-2006 at 07:42 PM

the setup of windows :P.

Just select the just formatted partition as the installation directory and it will start installing.

After that boot into the just installed windows installation, copy your important files from the other partition and repeat the steps to install windows to the other partition.

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Joe on 12-04-2006 at 07:43 PM

* Joe tries this.
If you don't hear from me for a while, I failed.

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Voldemort on 12-04-2006 at 07:51 PM

tried using the repair feature?

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by GoodThings2Life on 12-04-2006 at 07:53 PM

You could just boot from the CD/DVD and as you're installing it will prompt for partition information.....

Then you delete all (providing you have a backup of data, etc)... recreate one for one OS, and create a second for the other OS. :)

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Voldemort on 12-04-2006 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GoodThings2Life
You could just boot from the CD/DVD and as you're installing it will prompt for partition information.....

Then you delete all (providing you have a backup of data, etc)... recreate one for one OS, and create a second for the other OS. :)
he can't format both....

btw, there is a linux live cd that helps in this.... if i remember the name ill tell ya.....
RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by andrewdodd13 on 12-04-2006 at 08:10 PM

Just a note, erasing C: will cause the Vista boot loader to cease functioning, so you won't be able to boot to Vista after formatting.

You will still be able to access the second partition to pull the data over to C:, then reinstall Vista B2. Although... you may wish to upgrade to RC2 - B2 is a few seasons out of date.

Oh, and you're Vista drive more than likely won't be mapped to the V: drive after reinstalling, I doubt that really matters though.

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Joe on 12-04-2006 at 08:10 PM

Repair feature didn't.... err, repair, so that's why i'm settling for this

RE: Help! Clearing Partition + Installing Windows by Joe on 12-05-2006 at 12:55 AM

Double post... sue me...

I tried to install the MCE again with the packed-in Dell Reinstallation DVD... and about 50 files failed at the beginning of the installation... then it put XP Pro on my computer, instead of MCE... PLUS, it wouldn't allow me to install my drivers from the packed in DVD because it said the CD was only for Dell computers... which the computer is....

Right now, I get this message when I log in with my normal profile..

Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.

This happened, i think, after I took all the file permissions to Vista Beta 2. If there is a way I can reverse this, I may be able to fix my issues...

also, a bunch of files no longer have icons, just the plain "wtf is this?" icon, but they still run.

BLAH... help...

EDIT:... no system restore was set up because I'm an idiot...