Shoutbox

need help finding the right mobo + gpu - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: need help finding the right mobo + gpu (/showthread.php?tid=69167)

need help finding the right mobo + gpu by Supersonicdarky on 12-05-2006 at 01:51 AM

i'd like to find the cheapest gpu + mobo (cuz its so crappy its agp not pcie) so that it would support vista glass and hopefully have better performance in 3d games (like nfs mw/carbon). and in the title it says the right ones because i want it work with current cpu

current gpu is nvidia geforce 400 i believe

[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

so please help because i'm tired of using this piece of crap everyday (6)

pweeeeeese!
[Image: red_cat.thumb.jpg]

RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by brian on 12-05-2006 at 03:01 AM

I'd suggest getting a new processor with that because if you want cheap then don't expect any quality or big changes.

RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by lizard.boy on 12-05-2006 at 03:35 AM

Heres the predicament: Your stuff is old, all of your technology has been replaced.
Socket 754 -> is now socket AM2 for AMD and Lga775 for Intel, so your processor would not be compatible with a new motherboard. (And you'll be hard pressed finding a 754 motherboard nowadays)
DDR memory is now replaced mostly by DDR2, which is not backwards compatible so your memory most likely would NOT be compatible with a new motherboard.
AGP graphics -> Most new graphics cards are being built on PCI-express which is incomputable, and it would be hard to get a new graphics card for your old (current) motherboard.

Your best bet would be to buy a new system at this point, but you'll have a hard time getting something really cheap if you want performance and quality.

Anybody else have any input?

RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by Supersonicdarky on 12-05-2006 at 04:30 AM

wow, its shittier than i thought [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

my dad wont want to get rid that one, unless i turn it into a downloading machine. And i dont need super performance, just so it would have latest technology support (like d3d10 and all the pixel shader crap)

RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by lizard.boy on 12-05-2006 at 04:33 AM

If your looking for directx 10, the graphics card alone will set you back $600 + USD.

RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by Kenji on 12-05-2006 at 04:41 AM

You wil need a new Motherboard, i have a 754 socket, I brought new RAM and everything a few months ago, then i found out that i wont be able to use it in my Core 2 Duo based PC i am building atm :sad:

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i dont need super performance
If i was you id go for a Intel Pentium D similar to this
1GB ram
Obviously a motherboard :p
and a nVidia 7300GS, i have that and it works with all the vista affects.
RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by John Anderton on 12-05-2006 at 06:18 AM

For a GPU, I'd suggest a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (or a GS if you want to save some money). If you have an even tighter budget, goto NVIDIA's site and look at the vista capable GPU list and choose one for your needs :)

For a mobo, I would like to say that a 975 series mobo by ABIT is good but that again is quite costly I believe.

If you really want a processor, E6600 wins :P but that isn't cheap either. It comes upto what you want and what you can afford. Thats all :P I dislike Pentium D's because they are midrange step up processors to the core 2 duo's imo. Conroe > * ;)

And oh, 1 GB of ddr2 ram and you're all ready ;)

RE: RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu by markee on 12-05-2006 at 06:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
For a GPU, I'd suggest a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (or a GS if you want to save some money). If you have an even tighter budget, goto NVIDIA's site and look at the vista capable GPU list and choose one for your needs :)

For a mobo, I would like to say that a 975 series mobo by ABIT is good but that again is quite costly I believe.

If you really want a processor, E6600 wins :P but that isn't cheap either. It comes upto what you want and what you can afford. Thats all :P I dislike Pentium D's because they are midrange step up processors to the core 2 duo's imo. Conroe > * ;)

And oh, 1 GB of ddr2 ram and you're all ready ;)

That would be my recommendations too.  I've hard some great things about the E6600 and E6400 (especially with a half decent cooling system).  Both processors are probably best value for money atm.

For you GPU this link shows all of nVidia's Vista compatible GPU's (I'm assuming that means they can run aero but I'm not entirely sure).

And as JA said you really do want the 1GB of RAM, and really it has come down a lot in price lately so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Although this does end up more expensive then what you were initially planning, I think you will probably need to cover more than the minimum specs when it comes to a Windows OS as I'm sure you are aware with XP and the likes.