Shoutbox

Can an ISO burn itself? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Can an ISO burn itself? (/showthread.php?tid=69176)

Can an ISO burn itself? by PenguinBoy on 12-05-2006 at 03:13 PM

Hi i was wondering, i've looked at the info on nero, and other cd image creators, i'm still not certain whether its possible.

but my idea was to create a cd with some songs on, and then on that cd put an iso capable of burning that info onto yet another disk.

So that anyone who listens to the cd and likes it, can put it into their pc and re-distribute it with a click.

It worked in my head. But when i tried to think about how i would do it, i couldn't get out of the chicken-egg nature of it all.

any ideas?

RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by sljaxon on 12-05-2006 at 03:39 PM

Well, you could burn a multi-session disk, then place the music on the first, and the ISO on the second. Only problem is, they'd need an ISO burning program. I guess you could write one, or distribute deepburner(http://www.deepburner.com) with it.

RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by saralk on 12-05-2006 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sljaxon
Well, you could burn a multi-session disk, then place the music on the first, and the ISO on the second. Only problem is, they'd need an ISO burning program. I guess you could write one, or distribute deepburner(http://www.deepburner.com) with it.

He is trying to get around the problem of how do you have an ISO with an ISO of itself on it?
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by sljaxon on 12-05-2006 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
He is trying to get around the problem of how do you have an ISO with an ISO of itself on it?

I see now... The ISO in the ISO will just have to not have the ISO of the ISO it is on in itself. :S
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by PenguinBoy on 12-05-2006 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sljaxon
I see now... The ISO in the ISO will just have to not have the ISO of the ISO it is on in itself. :S

lol, THAT is how confusing it is.

I thought, "right i could make one without the iso on, and then add the iso of the project afterwards. of that afterwards."

Is it possible to open up an ISO and edit it, as if it were a zip file? With some sort of resource editor?

In which case i could create a dummy iso, put it on the cd, and then when i'd made it, just pop iso into it again.

I think it's actually impossible. Would have been a good marketing idea though.

It'd be like putting a zip inside itself.

I might try to put a downloader in it instead, to grab an ISO from online, that could work :).

RE: RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by sljaxon on 12-05-2006 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
Is it possible to open up an ISO and edit it, as if it were a zip file? With some sort of resource editor?
http://www.magiciso.com

quote:
I might try to put a downloader in it instead, to grab an ISO from online, that could work :).

Yes, that would work.

EDIT: Or you could just make the ISO in the ISO will not have the ISO of the ISO it is on. ;)
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by foaly on 12-05-2006 at 06:47 PM

is it not way easier to put an cd copy-program onto the cd?
then there is no need for an ISO since you can just copy the cd...

RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by PenguinBoy on 12-05-2006 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
is it not way easier to put an cd copy-program onto the cd?
then there is no need for an ISO since you can just copy the cd...

like nero? or do u mean an indipendant program that'll burn a copy?

If you could elaborate on that then maybe that'd be a better idea.

But having an iso online and putting a downloader on the cd would save space. and also would mean i could send the iso to people to burn the cd independantly.

I could just encourage people to copy the cd in a read me. I just thought it'd be cleverer to have them able to do it with a click.
RE: RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by rav0 on 12-06-2006 at 09:41 AM

quote:
like nero? or do u mean an indipendant program that'll burn a copy?
You could put a burning program like that on the CD, that will copy the CD it's on, and the new CD will have the program on it then, the same as the original.
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by Voldemort on 12-06-2006 at 05:35 PM

you could put CdBurner xp  pro 3, its free and burns cds :P

RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by sljaxon on 12-06-2006 at 09:25 PM

The idea is put a program on the iso/cd that copies the cd it is on when run.

It could also, umm..., 'isoify' the cd it is on.

RE: RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by rav0 on 12-07-2006 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
you could put CdBurner xp  pro 3, its free
... and comes with a large dose of ad/mal/spy/bad/roffleware.
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by ShawnZ on 12-07-2006 at 07:39 AM

you're aware that cd burning software has the ability to copy from one disk to another, right?

RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by CookieRevised on 12-07-2006 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you're aware that cd burning software has the ability to copy from one disk to another, right?
lol, most sensible reply in this thread...

---

I don't get why you need an iso of the cd on the cd to copy the cd.

For starters, this is even logically impossible. Say your music is X and the iso is Y. This means that the iso Y = X + Y... Do the math... So the CD would contain X + X + X + X + X + ... + X (until eternity or until you drop dead, whichever comes first :p) + Y (doh! this equals X+Y again :D). etc...

But even if it was possible to do this. You also would always have the first track on the audio cd being a data track... not very 'userfriendly'.

And as Shawnz has put, and some others, what's wrong in simply copying a CD one to one? Almost all computers of today come with burning software. And even if they aren't, burning a CD is by default possible in even Windows XP.

If you want to make something special, make a properly burned (and this does not mean burning on 999x speed, but on 2x speed or whatever your burner supports as lowest speed!!!) cd with "CD Text" and possibly an attached image, aka making it a "CD+G" so a logo or whatever is shown in CD+G compatible players also.

;)
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by Voldemort on 12-08-2006 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
.. and comes with a large dose of ad/mal/spy/bad/roffleware.
iirc the only thing it had was a yahoo bar, and it was optional
RE: Can an ISO burn itself? by ShawnZ on 12-08-2006 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Almost all computers of today come with burning software.

if they didn't, you couldn't burn an ISO anyway, which is why i don't see a point to this discussion whatsoever