Shoutbox

sound disappeared in msn - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: sound disappeared in msn (/showthread.php?tid=69190)

sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 08:45 PM

running;
windows vista ultimate
windows live messenger 8.0
msn plus 4.11

i was about about to watch a movie the other day and found out that i could mute only the msn messenger application if i clicked the speaker-icon and then clicked on the word "mixer", so i did and this far no worries. but the very next day when i wanted to use msn again i had no sound, it came to my mind that i had muted it the day before so i just reversed the procedure but this didnŽt solve the problem... =/
anybody know what i am doing wrong..?

and yep, everything is in order when i enter "tools" "alternative" "alerts and sounds" in windows live messenger...

please help me.

regards /Danny

RE: sound disappeared in msn by elektra on 12-05-2006 at 09:09 PM

Uninstall wlm and reinstall it, might repair the sound files
i had this problem before and i had to restart my computer (you could try that but the first one is more likely to work),

are you using the muter script?

RE: RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by elektra
Uninstall wlm and reinstall it, might repair the sound files
i had this problem before and i had to restart my computer (you could try that but the first one is more likely to work),

are you using the muter script?

not using any scripts at all, just installed everything...
tried to make a phonecall trough live messenger and the result was that my friend could hear me but i couldnŽt hear him, seems that windows is preventing every sound that comes from msn to reach the speakers..?
RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:18 PM

and yes, already tried to uninstall and reinstall wlm, same problem though... =/

RE: sound disappeared in msn by elektra on 12-05-2006 at 09:23 PM

Is there any chance that wlm is being block by a firewall
When you go to tools - options - Alerts and sounds - a sound and play, can you here it then
Also try Reapplying your wlm defaul sounds ;)

RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:25 PM

yep, then my computer plays the sound, thats a little bit strange i think...
more ideas..?

RE: sound disappeared in msn by MicroWay on 12-05-2006 at 09:28 PM

So it's solved or not???
How anbout making an "ignore" on Firewall about WLM if is that's the problem???

RE: RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:29 PM

quote:
When you go to tools - options - Alerts and sounds - a sound and play, can you here it then

not online..?

RE: sound disappeared in msn by elektra on 12-05-2006 at 09:30 PM

quote:
have you tried all of them
well im puzzeled
:o got an idea, if you set your own default sounds does it play it them ?
RE: RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:32 PM

quote:
quote:
have you tried all of them
well im puzzeled
:o got an idea, if you set your own default sounds does it play it them ?

iŽll try to set my own default, brb...
RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:35 PM

nope, didnŽt change a thing... =(

RE: sound disappeared in msn by ins4ne on 12-05-2006 at 09:36 PM

I had that problem once some time ago. I remember a bit. Go into Control Panel -> Sounds and audio devices -> Sounds and there look the scheme. It should be empty (in my case??) or set to windows-standard. I think I solved my problem that way. I'm not sure thought. Try that and tell me the result.

RE: RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
I had that problem once some time ago. I remember a bit. Go into Control Panel -> Sounds and audio devices -> Sounds and there look the scheme. It should be empty (in my case??) or set to windows-standard. I think I solved my problem that way. I'm not sure thought. Try that and tell me the result.

sorry, been there tried that...
aargh!
more ideas anybody?
RE: sound disappeared in msn by ins4ne on 12-05-2006 at 09:43 PM

I remember. Go back there where i said. Have a look if under 'MSN Messenger' there are sounds. A little audio icon should be there. If not: Go to the MSN Messenger folder and there should be 6 or 7 .wav files. You must add them to that Scheme then. Got me?

RE: sound disappeared in msn by elektra on 12-05-2006 at 09:44 PM

back to basics then.
Can you hear music etc
if not then i suggest you do a clean uninstall, by going add or remove programs removing it there then going C;/ - programs files - msn messenger and delete it then go back to the page and down load it also do the same for MP!L programs files - Messenger  Plus live!

RE: sound disappeared in msn by ins4ne on 12-05-2006 at 09:46 PM

@elektra: If the sounds are deleted in Windows I don't know if they will be added that way. He said he uninstalled and installed again. Still no sound!! So let him try my way...

RE: RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-05-2006 at 10:06 PM

quote:
I remember. Go back there where i said. Have a look if under 'MSN Messenger' there are sounds. A little audio icon should be there. If not: Go to the MSN Messenger folder and there should be 6 or 7 .wav files. You must add them to that Scheme then. Got me?

that, that sounds like an idea, iŽll try it! =)

quote:
Originally posted by unbreakabledanny
quote:

that, that sounds like an idea, iŽll try it! =)

...and what if "msn messenger" does not even exit under the "windows default scheme" where do i add the .wav files then..?

did you understand what i meant?
there is no msn folder under the "windows default sound scheme"
is there any way to add msn sounds to the windows defalt sound scheme?
RE: sound disappeared in msn by ins4ne on 12-06-2006 at 01:30 PM

I don't know. I had 'MSN messenger' in the "windows default scheme". But it seems that it has gone :S. Weird Windows :@. Sorry i can't help you further. But the way i told you helped me last time when the sounds in MSN have gone...

Anyways. I'll do some researches for you. Maybe Google tells me a possibility...

RE: RE: sound disappeared in msn by unbreakabledanny on 12-06-2006 at 03:25 PM

quote:
I don't know. I had 'MSN messenger' in the "windows default scheme". But it seems that it has gone :S. Weird Windows :@. Sorry i can't help you further. But the way i told you helped me last time when the sounds in MSN have gone...

Anyways. I'll do some researches for you. Maybe Google tells me a possibility...

thanks a lot!
but there must be a way to put msn in the windows sounds scheme..?