Shoutbox

Am I doomed? Please Help Me... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... (/showthread.php?tid=69210)

Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by lrac522 on 12-06-2006 at 04:24 PM

I am running AVG anti-virus program running on my desktop, after switching on, AVG updates then said that there was a threat with some Trojan file and ask if it should be healed or remove to AVG vault, I selected heal and it says to restart and to my God! XP cannot be reloaded, as soon as it reaches the XP logo it keeps restarting over and over. Why did AVG allow this to happen and how can I rectify this problem? I backed up all my important files from my laptop through my router unto the desktop.  Cheers

RE: Am I doomed? by Stigmata on 12-06-2006 at 04:26 PM

Press f8 in startup.

Go to advanced options or something

and select not to restart on system error

then restart the pc

then read the bluescreen error that you get on load

then run it in safemode and fix the error :)

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by lrac522 on 12-06-2006 at 04:29 PM

Thank you so much, I'll try that...

I'm afraid that that option is not listed.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known good Configuration (your most recent...)
Directory Service Restore Mode (Windows domain...)
Debugging Mode

Start windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu.

If i should select any of those options it would just keep restarting. I don't know what next to do...:'(:'(:'(

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by foaly on 12-06-2006 at 04:51 PM

try booting trough the windows installation cd and choose repair

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by ins4ne on 12-06-2006 at 04:56 PM

Dumb but install windows to another partition. Boot from there and save all your files from c: to whatever. Then do a format C:. After that install windows to c:, copy the saved files to whatever and remove the other os.

A bit complicated but i know what i mean and it worked for me a lot of times after fucking my os...

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by lrac522 on 12-06-2006 at 05:26 PM

I tried the XP cd and chose to repair, it ask what windows i wanted to logon to and after doing that, to my surprise, things starting to run on my screen lightening speed like the MATRIX! I haven't a clue what to touch next. :'(

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by foaly on 12-06-2006 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
I tried the XP cd and chose to repair, it ask what windows i wanted to logon to and after doing that, to my surprise, things starting to run on my screen lightening speed like the MATRIX! I haven't a clue what to touch next. :'(

hmm never heard off that happening before...

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by Voldemort on 12-06-2006 at 05:46 PM

shift + f10?

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by Lourix on 12-06-2006 at 05:53 PM

Do be honest if nothing else works I would try reformatting the computer but only if that is your last option and if you have the drivers and a disk to get all the computer files back. I have always had problems with AVG so I got Zone Alarm Suite instead works better.

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by MeEtc on 12-06-2006 at 05:56 PM

If you know the file name and original location, and if AVG quarantined the original file, you could get out a DOS boot disk and simply copy the quarantined file back to where it should be.

Another option is to go into Recovery Console (Boot a XP CD!) and recover the file from the original CABs on the disk.

Again, this will only be helpful if you can remember which file was cleaned in the first place.

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by lrac522 on 12-07-2006 at 09:22 PM

Thank you all for your kind help, because I have 2 drives, one that runs Windows ME and the other for XP, i used this Active Data Recovery Software to copy the file onto the ME drive. lots of work though renaming the files back from FAT32 format to NTFS. Disappointed with AVG though going back to Norton. (Y)

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by Voldemort on 12-07-2006 at 10:29 PM

norton will disappoint you even more :P

RE: RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by lrac522 on 12-07-2006 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
norton will disappoint you even more :P

You know I never have problems with the Norton 2002 version, been using it for so many years the ones i had problems with were the later versions.
RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by Rolando on 12-08-2006 at 03:10 AM

YOU'REnotDOOMED

Something similar happened to me once not long ago.

The thing is, while trying to remove the 'virus' it deleted some important file. I had to use System Restore after turning off my computer and initiating in Safe Mode.

I recommend you try using AVG Anti-Spyware (previously ewido) aswell.

Try using System Restore, it worked wonders for me.

Ps: After restoring, scan with AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware and use Microsoft's Online OneCare Full Service Scan (Long name, yes) Here's the link

Edit: woops, didnt see you already fixed the problem. I wouldnt reccomend going back to Norton though, AVG is way better.

RE: Am I doomed? Please Help Me... by lrac522 on 12-08-2006 at 07:45 AM

I was unable to use the System restore option due to the fact that the computer would just shut off and restarts continuously when loading. Thanks anyway