Shoutbox

Recover datas in CDs. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Recover datas in CDs. (/showthread.php?tid=69364)

Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-11-2006 at 09:10 AM

Here's the problem,
I have a couple of CDs that contain lots of backup datas, and apparently when I insert the CD, Windows detect that the CD is empty which is not true. I am very sure that those CDs contain datas and they are important but Windows can't detect it and it detects as empty CDs.
Those CDs are burnt two years ago on Windows XP SP1. And my current Windows is Vista.
And I am sure that those CDs' image aren't damaged whatsoever.
Here's the solutions I tried.
I tried cleaning the CDs with some cleaning chemicals for CDs, I tried insert them to another drive, but to no avail. I bought one of the drives this year and another drive which comes with my PC, both of them are DVD burners however, one is DVD Ram and another one is just DVD RW respectively.
I didn't try on my sister's PC though, as I'm afraid that it will damage my CD as her PC is 4 years older then my PC, running on Windows Xp sp2.
My laptop is sent for repair and there's no other choice for me to try. :cry:
I tried Googling but the results given aren't what I've anticipated it to be though.

Here's my questions, is there any programs that are free, and work like a charm, and is there other solutions?
I need those datas urgently.
Please don't start lecturing me for not backing up on several CDs/DVDs, or external harddisk or any external storage. That time I didn't have any external storage available for me, and I have limited CDs/DVDs.
I am very upset about this.
Thanks for hearing me out. And your answers are much appreciated.

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by John Anderton on 12-11-2006 at 11:07 AM

How can you be certain that the discs aren't damaged?
The layers are quite small and you can't be sure if they were damaged.

Anyway, sometimes it happens that the discs were written at a higher speed than can be read by your device. I hope thats not the case.
The change in OS has nothing to do with this problem.
I recommend you try using the disc on your sisters old pc :)

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by rav0 on 12-12-2006 at 11:00 AM

Burning speed is unrelated to reading speed (unless the burn was too fast to work properly on cheap media, then reading will be very slow or not happening on any device, because the disk is just bad).

Try IsoBuster. It's worked for me a few times. It's not free, but a trial is available. I don't know if the trial is limited.

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-12-2006 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
How can you be certain that the discs aren't damaged?
The layers are quite small and you can't be sure if they were damaged.

Anyway, sometimes it happens that the discs were written at a higher speed than can be read by your device. I hope thats not the case.
The change in OS has nothing to do with this problem.
I recommend you try using the disc on your sisters old pc :)
Thanks for your advice.
I'm very certain that they aren't damaged as I haven touch those CDs for more then one and half years; they simply placed in their own CD case, and werer left untouch ever since.
Anyway, I've tried on my sis's PC, but due to slowness, the PC lags and hangs eventually.. -_-"
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Burning speed is unrelated to reading speed (unless the burn was too fast to work properly on cheap media, then reading will be very slow or not happening on any device, because the disk is just bad).

Try IsoBuster. It's worked for me a few times. It's not free, but a trial is available. I don't know if the trial is limited.
Thanks rav0, I will try that program. (:

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Adeptus on 12-12-2006 at 02:40 PM

Do you remember what CD burning software was installed on the PC these discs were created?

Where that question is leading is that the discs created with some third party UDF packet writer might be unreadable by Vista for whatever silly reason.  If that is the problem, the solution would be to install the same software on a computer (it will probably have to be your sister's computer with XP, given most CD writing software itself isn't compatible with Vista) and see if that helps.

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Voldemort on 12-12-2006 at 02:49 PM

sometimes they are burned compressed with some propietary format so

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Do you remember what CD burning software was installed on the PC these discs were created?

and use it to see the disks:P
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-12-2006 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Yeah, I do remember but there's one problem though...
The program came pre-installed on my PC, and there isn't a copy of the program on CD, its installer was on my hard disk but it was cleared away when I install vista.. How unfortunate.
quote:
sometimes they are burned compressed with some propietary format so
hmm.. what do you mean?
I'm abit noob with these burning compression thingy.
quote:
and use it to see the disks:P
I usually will do that. thanks for the advice though. (:
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Adeptus on 12-12-2006 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ+
The program came pre-installed on my PC, and there isn't a copy of the program on CD, its installer was on my hard disk but it was cleared away when I install vista..
What was its name?
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-12-2006 at 03:29 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by xJ+
The program came pre-installed on my PC, and there isn't a copy of the program on CD, its installer was on my hard disk but it was cleared away when I install vista..
What was its name?
The name's Sonic RecordNow!
I'm not sure about the version number though, but I do know that it's an old version...
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Adeptus on 12-12-2006 at 04:27 PM

Try this:  http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/udf/software_updates.html .  Once again, I wouldn't try to install it under Vista; use the computer with XP you mentioned.

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Dr4g0n on 12-12-2006 at 05:22 PM

My dad also had this problem when he got a new computer. He was stuck for a while with it, but I fixed it (H).

But seriously, his problem was Sonic RecordNow too. I suggest you install it and that should solve your problem; it's because of the way that Roxio formats the discs, it makes it unreadable by Windows without the software installed.

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Voldemort on 12-12-2006 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
hmm.. what do you mean?
I'm abit noob with these burning compression thingy.
they get compressed with the software's  own system l
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
it's because of the way that Roxio formats the discs, it makes it unreadable by Windows without the software installed.

RE: RE: Recover datas in CDs. by rav0 on 12-13-2006 at 04:38 AM

quote:
I'm very certain that they aren't damaged as I haven touch those CDs for more then one and half years; they simply placed in their own CD case, and werer left untouch ever since.
Cheap disks go bad by themselves. They can be fine the day that you burn them, and for that week, but just rot (or warp) over time.
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by linx05 on 12-13-2006 at 09:49 AM

You might want to try IsoPuzzle. It is a free program that is having a lot of success lately. You can read a bit about it here and the official site is here. It may take a long time to get all the data, but it will be worth it.

This version is experimental and supports only data CDs and DVDs with sectorsize of 2048 byte - Audio CD, VCD and SVCD are not supported.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
I suggest you install it and that should solve your problem; it's because of the way that Roxio formats the discs, it makes it unreadable by Windows without the software installed.
What evidence do you have to support this?
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-13-2006 at 04:58 PM

quote:
quote:

Thanks rav0, I will try that program. (:
It didn't work unfortunately... Thanks though. (:
quote:
Try this:  http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/udf/software_updates.html .  Once again, I wouldn't try to install it under Vista; use the computer with XP you mentioned.
Is that an update to an existing driver - udf reader?
It kept giving me error telling me that the drive doesn't have an udf reader. I tried it on both my sister's PC and mine. Have the same error.
quote:
Cheap disks go bad by themselves. They can be fine the day that you burn them, and for that week, but just rot (or warp) over time.
Erm.. I don't usually buy cheap disks. ;)
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
You might want to try IsoPuzzle. It is a free program that is having a lot of success lately. You can read a bit about it here and the official site is here. It may take a long time to get all the data, but it will be worth it.
I will try using it later and will post an update on it...

EDIT:
I might take a while to update on it due to my 'busy' schedule. Thanks to all whom have help. I appreciate it. (:
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-14-2006 at 03:16 PM

here's the update.
The program, IsoPuzzle, doesn't work. Not even on Windows XP.. Looks like the CDs don't have any hope... ):
Any other similar programs that you think it will work well? Please say yes.. Otherwise, I would have to leave the CDs in the rubbish bin. :cry:

My apology for double posting... Just to get let people know that there's an update from me... Will delete once there's a reply from someone.. hopefully

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by Adeptus on 12-14-2006 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ+
Is that an update to an existing driver - udf reader?
It kept giving me error telling me that the drive doesn't have an udf reader. I tried it on both my sister's PC and mine. Have the same error.
I was under impression that it was a full installation rather than an update, but have not actually tried it (I don't need/want it on any of my computers).

The UDF reader is a free download, so if the link I gave you isn't the correct file, you should be able to find it somewhere else on the same site.
RE: Recover datas in CDs. by linx05 on 12-15-2006 at 12:40 AM

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Error messages? Does it complete? What?

RE: Recover datas in CDs. by xJ + on 12-15-2006 at 02:32 AM

quote:
I was under impression that it was a full installation rather than an update, but have not actually tried it (I don't need/want it on any of my computers).

The UDF reader is a free download, so if the link I gave you isn't the correct file, you should be able to find it somewhere else on the same site.
Yeah, I, too, thought it was a full installation till I install it. Thanks for your help anyway. I will search for that online. (:
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Error messages? Does it complete? What?
IsoPuzzle was surveying my CD, it stopped responding half way through it. No error messages were shown whatsoever, it simply stops responding. Tried several times but to no avail.
It didn't complete unfortunately.