Shoutbox

WINDOWS VISTA - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: WINDOWS VISTA (/showthread.php?tid=69490)

WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-14-2006 at 11:47 AM

I was planning on trying out the latest version of windows vista but what i have  been hearing is that its not fully compatible with all the software i currently use in windows xp is this true?? is it really worth getting now???

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by xJ + on 12-14-2006 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wally lebo rambo
I was planning on trying out the latest version of windows vista but what i have  been hearing is that its not fully compatible with all the software i currently use in windows xp is this true??
Ya, of course....
quote:
is it really worth getting now???
Depend on you.
If I were you, I will wait till all of the drivers and updates of each individual softwares are officially out before I get my hands on the final release of Windows Vista.

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-14-2006 at 12:01 PM

Thanks  xJ + is there eny bugs or problems with vista and can you please tell me what is the latest version so far . id apresiate that alot

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by xJ + on 12-14-2006 at 12:15 PM

I can't really tell you exactly what the bugs are or the problems are. I'm currently not using the final version of Vista. I'm using the last beta build which is, in my opinion, very annoying with crashes here and there.
The latest build is 6000

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-14-2006 at 12:25 PM

yeah i know what you mean about the crashes iv actually ran windows vista but it was a really old beta i thought microsoft might of fixed all this by now... well i guess ill wait till it actually gets releast thanks again

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Chestah on 12-14-2006 at 01:13 PM

I'd recommend waiting until January the 31st as official drivers should be out by then. Of course, its illegal to be using RTM code unless you have paid for it so thats another reason to wait :).

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Eddie on 12-14-2006 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
I'd recommend waiting until January the 31st as official drivers should be out by then. Of course, its illegal to be using RTM code unless you have paid for it so thats another reason to wait :).
Im not gonna buy it until SP1 is released probably :P unless someone buys it for me of course :P
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by xJ + on 12-14-2006 at 03:04 PM

It's recommended to wait till the release of Service Pack 1 which is around either 2nd half of year 2007 or early 2008, then buy Windows Vista. By then, Windows XP Service Pack 3 will eb released.
Currently, Windows Vista is really buggy, till the last beta build, some old bugs come back, and some have been fixed, and there are some new ones that seriously bug me. I'm not sure about RTM though.
That's just my opinion.
And, Chestah, to correct your error, the release date of WIndows Vista will depend on each individual country. But the official release date announced is 30th January 2007 and it's not 31st January 2007. Some countries might release later though.

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Voldemort on 12-14-2006 at 05:09 PM

not really. you are not a tester, so it would be illegal unless you buy it.
drop title caps kthx.

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Ptoye on 12-14-2006 at 06:50 PM

hey,

Unless you think it would be good to have and really want it wait on SP1. I get a free upgrade on 30-31 of Janurary but i will not install it untill such time as SP1 is out so i can then download it as soon as i have installed vista.

It does look good though and there is bout in my mind about that but i dont want to have a bad first encounter with Vista.

So if i was you i would either buy a New PC/Laptop now ( just for the free upgrade :P) and ofcouse because its always nice to get a new pc :P, because i have found prices over £350 for Vista and i think that is a bit pricy for a OS.

Hope this helps

Pete

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by RaceProUK on 12-14-2006 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
By then, Windows XP Service Pack 3 will eb released.
Assuming MS are still going to release XP Service Packs once Vista is out.
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-14-2006 at 11:30 PM

I think its good to wait a few months after it gets released for peaple to test it out properly and report eny problems but what pisses me off the most is to run vista i basicaly need a new computer mine isnt to its standards DAM! :p

RE: RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Ptoye on 12-15-2006 at 05:21 PM

quote:
I think its good to wait a few months after it gets released for peaple to test it out properly and report eny problems but what pisses me off the most is to run vista i basicaly need a new computer mine isnt to its standards DAM! :p

Yeh thats then mabay a good idear to get a new one with a free Vista upgrade like i said.
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Hank on 12-15-2006 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
I'd recommend waiting until January the 31st as official drivers should be out by then. Of course, its illegal to be using RTM code unless you have paid for it so thats another reason to wait
best to wait atleast 6 months after the release, , not all drivers will be out on the 31st of Jan , logitech dont even have drivers for Vista Release candidates as of yet i dont think

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
It's recommended to wait till the release of Service Pack 1 which is around either 2nd half of year 2007 or early 2008, then buy Windows Vista. By then, Windows XP Service Pack 3 will eb released.
XP SP3 wont be out till 2008 ..SP2 for WinXP64Bit an 2003 is in i think Release Candidate Now an on Windows Update
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Nathan on 12-15-2006 at 10:46 PM

Hmm,
I have about 5 s/n's which i dont use which i got before you had to pay for them so im ok :P

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Hank on 12-15-2006 at 10:47 PM

Nathans gonna pirate it?..norty

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Nathan on 12-15-2006 at 10:48 PM

Who told you - i will kill them :P

meh :P

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Hank on 12-15-2006 at 10:53 PM

dunno why your gonna bother with Vista, XP i think still rocks ..as they say, if it aint Broke, why fix it

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by RaceProUK on 12-15-2006 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
if it aint Broke, why fix it
:S
* RaceProUK wants it noted that XP isn't exactly the most bug-free piece of software in the world...
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by bladeswords on 12-20-2006 at 04:48 AM

I have been testing out Vista recently.  It is annoying.  Things such as the good old display properties in WinXP are now all in seperate areas, each requiring to be opened seperatly.

Also configuring the network cards!  That took me so long to find the new area for it.  For everything that had 2 clicks in vista now has 4!  I wanted less clicks damn it!

Areoglass on the server build also!!  Who thought that would be an awesome idea?! 

Also I am having trouble trying to get Vista working on a 2003 domain, it never keeps its profile.  I think that could be because my security setup...but still...

Although there is many annoying problems things with Vista, there are also some cool things.  Settings generally apply much faster, then it looks really sexy. 

I cant wait to see the amount of new computers bought just for Vista....

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 05:13 AM

Well if your gonna stick with XP i recomend using the vista theme i am currently using it . it looks really good :P 

http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/ atleast until vista is released thats if your looking for the theme

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by bladeswords on 12-20-2006 at 06:30 AM

Nice!  Looks kinda like the one that I am using at the moment.

I am not too sure who made it, but I can post the theme file if anyone wants it.

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 07:04 AM

Yes that would be great thanks!!! :) and just to let you know the theme im using actually transforms the whole of XP to the VISTA look if you were wondering ohh and the WLM theme is totaly different i got that some were else:P

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by bladeswords on 12-20-2006 at 07:21 AM

Oh, cool.  That is awesome.  That one looks like it is decent.  I have seen so many that are really crappy and look horriable.  Do you know if any actually do Areo Glass on XP?  I am sure someone has done it.

Link to the theme that I am using...Vista Theme Here

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Hank on 12-20-2006 at 07:29 AM

another thing bout Vista, if you use Raid, don't expect it to work on reboot after installation,

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 07:33 AM

thanks:) umm on the site i sent you if you explored it more you might be able to find the Areo glass im sure ivv seen it i just cant remember from the top of my head

heres another look at my theme it also comes with an object dock :P this is how it currently is

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Jimbo on 12-20-2006 at 10:09 AM

quote:
thanks:) umm on the site i sent you if you explored it more you might be able to find the Areo glass im sure ivv seen it i just cant remember from the top of my head

heres another look at my theme it also comes with an object dock :P this is how it currently is
Can you post where we can download that please
RE: RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 10:13 AM

sorry download what can you please be more spacific thanks:)
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Jimbo on 12-20-2006 at 10:24 AM

quote:

sorry download what can you please be more spacific thanks:)
Youre theme and object dock
from the image you uploaded
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 10:28 AM

ohh ok year sure man:) http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/  <<< thats the site there im using vista inspirate but just to let you know this changes the whole XP into vista and can be removed i hav customized it to my liking you can as well but please next time read the whole thread because i already posted this site :) thanks

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Jimbo on 12-20-2006 at 10:35 AM

quote:
ohh ok year sure man:) http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/  <<< thats the site there im using vista inspirate but just to let you know this changes the whole XP into vista and can be removed i hav customized it to my liking you can as well but please next time read the whole thread because i already posted this site :) thanks
Ok, sorry, so can i have that installed but then change back to standard windows theme if i want, or is that not possible
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 10:38 AM

yeah:) you can but after its installed customize it to the way you like;) thats what i did to mine enjoy:)

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Jimbo on 12-20-2006 at 10:38 AM

quote:
yeah:) you can but after its installed customize it to the way you like;) thats what i did to mine enjoy:)
Sorry to ask so many questions, how do i customize it?
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 10:43 AM

nuh its alright LOL :P ummm there are heaps of options and properties what i mean by customize is change your desktop background and stuff ull get what i mean;) OHH and in the dock its gonna be at the top just right click on it and change the settings to change the positions if you  have any more questions im happy to help just PM or ill give you my WLM email :)

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Jimbo on 12-20-2006 at 10:45 AM

Thanks a lot for helping me. +1

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by bladeswords on 12-20-2006 at 10:57 AM

I just installed your theme wally lebo rambo.  Nice!  I like!  Much easier then Vista on your system :)

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Wally on 12-20-2006 at 11:04 AM

im really glad you like it i agree that it is easier :) hope theres no problems with it

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Ptoye on 12-20-2006 at 07:23 PM

hey, i have just installed that vista theme but how do i remove the new vista logon back to XP login?

Ta
Pete

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Jimbo on 12-20-2006 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
hey, i have just installed that vista theme but how do i remove the new vista logon back to XP login?

Ta
Pete
You could try modifying one of the dlls, not sure which one, umm im sure wally lebo rambo will know
RE: RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Ptoye on 12-20-2006 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
quote:

Ta
Pete
You could try modifying one of the dlls, not sure which one, umm im sure wally lebo rambo will know

and how do i do that :S lol

Cheers
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by DarkMe on 12-20-2006 at 07:26 PM

quote:

Ta
Pete
Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > then remove it
then reinstall and untick the box saying "install vista log on"
thats what i did
RE: RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Ptoye on 12-20-2006 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarkMe
quote:

Ta
Pete
Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > then remove it
then reinstall and untick the box saying "install vista log on"
thats what i did

Thanks!!

and thanks jimbodube  :D
RE: WINDOWS VISTA by bladeswords on 12-20-2006 at 10:34 PM

Something that annoys be about Vista is the damn HUGE icons!  Seriously have you seen those things (I am not talking about the transformation pack).  I couldnt find any easy windows setting to change them either!!

RE: WINDOWS VISTA by DarkMe on 12-20-2006 at 10:38 PM

Right click on desktop > View > Classic Icons
and they'll be the same size as XP

RE: RE: WINDOWS VISTA by Ptoye on 12-21-2006 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bladeswords
Something that annoys be about Vista is the damn HUGE icons!  Seriously have you seen those things (I am not talking about the transformation pack).  I couldnt find any easy windows setting to change them either!!

I think the big ones are cool. they make it diffrent. i mostly like the recycling bin :d

Pete