Shoutbox

Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version (/showthread.php?tid=69496)

Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by Fabioamd87 on 12-14-2006 at 05:44 PM

hey why dont open the code of the plugin?
someone cam make a linux version...

RE: please open by Oxy on 12-14-2006 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fabioamd87
hey why dont open the code of the plugin?
someone cam make a linux version...

Now theres a problem there:

1) i can't fully understand what you're saying..

2)Windows live messenger will probably never be available for linux, unless they make linux a special version (unlikely) and therefore will never be a plus! for it.
RE: please open by Mike on 12-14-2006 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .OxY
1) i can't fully understand what you're saying..
He means to make MP!(L) open source, so that someone is going to port it over Linux.

That is not possible, because Linux lacks the needed APIs for this to be done.
If it was to be done, then a new client would have to be made, instead of adding features to an existing one.

And also, there is no official client from Microsoft for Linux, so you would have to make it for one of the third-party clients (GAIM, etc)
RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by ShawnZ on 12-14-2006 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike

um, no it doesn't :-/
RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by Patchou on 12-15-2006 at 06:27 PM

yes it does.

And anyway, there's no official client on Linux, if you're already using an open source client, then you can also modify it directly to add the features you want :p

RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by RaceProUK on 12-15-2006 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
um, no it doesn't (Smilie)
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
yes it does.
Depends what APIs you're talking about. Low-level system APIs, Linux has loads of. Probably comparable to Windows. However, APIs in the clients is another story entirely.
RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by Chrono on 12-15-2006 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

um, no it doesn't :-/
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
yes it does.

That's what happens when you try to be a smartass shawnz :rolleyes:

And there isnt even an official version for linux so why'd he bother? Add the features directly into an open source msn client for it :P
RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by joey on 04-20-2007 at 03:29 PM

so in basic there's never going to be one for linux?

that sucks, gaim and kopete are crappy, as i find there's not much you can do with them compared to messenger plus. :tongue:

RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by andrewdodd13 on 04-21-2007 at 12:31 AM

It's true - GAIM is a general client, and aMSN has horrible fonts. Personally, once I've sobered up, I'm gonna begin work on a proper MSN client for Linux.

Obviously, it won't have all the amazing features of Plus! (although it'll support some, like formatting tags), but it will look decent and work well :). It'll take me forever though. :D

RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by vaccination on 04-21-2007 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
so in basic there's never going to be one for linux?
Not unless you want to directly edit the source of GAIM yourself ;p
RE: Why not make Plus! open source, so someone can make a Linux version by Re-Mi on 04-24-2007 at 09:55 PM

Well,

I know there never will be an official plus! for linux but there are so many talented programmers here and amsn is one of the main msn clone's for linux maybe someone or multiple persons could pick up the requests for a plus! addon for amsn and make an opensource one them selfs ( amsn plugins are programmed in tcl/ tk many people say itś not that hard to learn). I know that some things can't be programmed for linux or amsn but many options should work. and maybe once gained popularity new own things could be added or there could be a side by side plugin in cooperation with patchou ( i know he already had provided the amsn community with some help to get the basic sound commands to work /shello etc etc.)

I personally could see a future for this amsn plugin but i think not many people share this vision.