Shoutbox

New Site - Input Wanted - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Site - Input Wanted (/showthread.php?tid=69513)

New Site - Input Wanted by Dempsey on 12-14-2006 at 11:34 PM

Well I was in a random mood earlier and I bought a website Stealthy Surfer.  Atm it just has the big standard PHP Proxy install, but I'm just wondering what features I could add to the site to make it different?  Like having a login system so users can store their favourite URLs? i dunno, anyone have any ideas?  Anyone use proxies and have any recommendations?

Cheers for any feedback :)

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Stigmata on 12-14-2006 at 11:42 PM

well you do know that as soon as people begin to use it, the domain name will be blocked.

thats the main problem with proxies :(

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Dempsey on 12-14-2006 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
well you do know that as soon as people begin to use it, the domain name will be blocked.

thats the main problem with proxies :(
yea i know :(  thats why i went with a name without proxy to start with and I'll remove all references to proxy on the page, but once its been found and blocked :(  But ther'll be plenty of other users.
RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Voldemort on 12-15-2006 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
I'll remove all references to proxy on the page
and the title? :P
RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Supersonicdarky on 12-15-2006 at 01:25 AM

make it so you can stream internet radio (like di.fm) through it into winamp, because everything is blocked at school (tho i can visit the site)

and about the design, make it simple, like google ;)

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Rolando on 12-15-2006 at 01:58 AM

You should change the title like Voldemort said :p.

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by lizard.boy on 12-15-2006 at 02:47 AM

I have this set up on my server, and Theres a few people in my school who use it, but it hasn't been blacklisted yet. (after 2 years)

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by MeEtc on 12-15-2006 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
make it so you can stream internet radio
X2

have a popup window without all the browser buttons, but make your own forward, back, history etc buttons, and have an html form to put in the address(and all the other buttons that are already there), all in a frame at the top of the page. make it look like your own proxy browser

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Adeptus on 12-15-2006 at 03:03 AM

I would have serious concerns about providing a service like that.

While you think about it in terms of students getting around school content filters, it is not at all unlikely that it will end up used for various illegal activity, which could get the cops knocking on your door.  You might come out of it clean after explaining what it is (and handing over your logs, pointing to the next link in the chain), but that would probably not be the most pleasant of experiences.

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Supersonicdarky on 12-15-2006 at 03:06 AM

people at school are using the same proxy, made by me. no cops yet :/ (and its been up for about 6 months now)

RE: New Site - Input Wanted by Adeptus on 12-15-2006 at 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
people at school are using the same proxy, made by me. no cops yet :/ (and its been up for about 6 months now)
It's obviously a matter of time and luck.  I would expect it to go unnoticed for years, even if it was widely known and actively used for illegal purposes. 

The point, however, is that it can happen -- and the question is, do you want to take the chance?  What do you get out of taking the risk, however small it may be?