Shoutbox

The world's most advanced keyboard? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: The world's most advanced keyboard? (/showthread.php?tid=69518)

The world's most advanced keyboard? by albert on 12-15-2006 at 07:34 AM

So I was looking around for a keyboard to match my MX Revolution mouse.

And I found this :  http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detail...66,CONTENTID=12339

Now this seems to be the world's most advanced keyboard.

The FN key is simply brilliant, although I have to admit taking out the number pad might be an inconvinient for people entered a lot of date everyday.

The little touchpad and the volume control are just sexy IMO.

I checked out a few websites to read reviews, it's only problem seems to be it's price.

Priced at USD $199, that is a killer for teens who just love new gadgets.

I personally thought about getting it.. Then I realized it's not out in Canada yet.. and if I wanted to purchase it through out ebay or amazon, that would come up to about 300$ CAN..

Quality wise it seems to be worth getting, but what do you guys think about it price-wise?

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by xJ + on 12-15-2006 at 08:03 AM

The price seems expensive. It should be lowed down to around USD$180 with those technology.
The keyboard itself looks cool and stylish and it matches the UI of Vista too...

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by ins4ne on 12-15-2006 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Logitech
The touch-sensitive volume slider gives you precise, fingertip audio control.
I got such a 'brilliant' touch-sensitive cowshit on my MX5000 and if they didn't improve that, it's still shit. You slide over it and the board needs 2-3 secs to notice something and react 8-).

quote:
Originally posted by Logitech
Bluetooth® wireless technology ensures seamless, secure operation from up to 30 feet.
The Bluetooth-Key from Logitech is SHIT!!! My keyboard always loses connection. 'up to30 feet'? WTF??? Key -> Keyboard = 20-30 cm ... :@

My next Keyboard I'll get is a wired one! Never had any problems with my old 10€ keyboard :sad:.
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Eddie on 12-15-2006 at 08:07 AM

Neh, it looks cool but i would rather stick to a simple keyboard and get awesome graphics and sound cards, although i do need a new mouse, keyboard and mousepad :)

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by kao on 12-15-2006 at 08:10 AM

ins4ne, maybe yours sucks? my mate has the diNovo keyboard and he can use his wireless from accross his room with no problems at all and the usb key is just sitting on his desk next to his monitor =)

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by ins4ne on 12-15-2006 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
ins4ne, maybe yours sucks?
Ya sure. It's exactly the same key. Even the driver is the same... SetPoint 3.10 :zippy:.
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Dempsey on 12-15-2006 at 08:21 AM

This is an advanced keyboard --> Optimus Keyboard :P

Going into production next year, but gonna cost quite a bit :P

There's a mini version already available to buy - Optimus Mini Three

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by ins4ne on 12-15-2006 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
This is an advanced keyboard --> Optimus Keyboard
:O great keyboard!! Looks awesome. I'd like to know the price of that ^o).
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Kenji on 12-15-2006 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
The little touchpad and the volume control are just sexy IMO.
Youre starting to scare me, first the mouse, now this..
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by ins4ne on 12-15-2006 at 08:40 AM

OMG!! Just noticed something ( I didn't read your post right alby :$) no numpad :|...

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by xJ + on 12-15-2006 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Optimus 103 keyboard to cost $1,200

My G15 > Optimus

How many people actually look at the keyboard while playing a game.
* xJ + stares at the price..
You serious? that's way too expensive.. well it might be dropped sooner or later.. lolx

And I do look at the keyboard while gaming though.. :P
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by ins4ne on 12-15-2006 at 08:42 AM

:| 1,200$?

That's way too much. Maybe one day it'll be affordable for everybody...

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by albert on 12-15-2006 at 08:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
got such a 'brilliant' touch-sensitive cowshit on my MX5000 and if they didn't improve that, it's still shit. You slide over it and the board needs 2-3 secs to notice something and react (Smilie).

I read in some articles that some old NvidiO had that issue. It's been fixed.

quote:
The Bluetooth-Key from Logitech is SHIT!!! My keyboard always loses connection. 'up to30 feet'? WTF??? Key -> Keyboard = 20-30 cm ... (Smilie)

My next Keyboard I'll get is a wired one! Never had any problems with my old 10€ keyboard (Smilie).

Now I don't know what keyboard ou got but all reviews give a 10/10 on the bluetooth thingy. Even my MX Revolution can go too far for me to use.

quote:
This is an advanced keyboard --> Optimus Keyboard (Smilie)
Knew about this one for a while, although it is hot it's a little too pricy for me.

quote:
There's a mini version already available to buy - Optimus Mini Three

Haha.. COol but 150$ for 3 keys? LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
Youre starting to scare me, first the mouse, now this..

What.. I love sexy looking gadgets.. Is that a crime..? :(
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by -dt- on 12-15-2006 at 08:46 AM

quote:
My G15 > Optimus

so thats makes the tiny lcd useless....

g15 < *

its wayyyyyy too big
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by albert on 12-15-2006 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
My G15 > Optimus

so thats makes the tiny lcd useless....

g15 < *

its wayyyyyy too big

8-) Owned.. 8-)
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by ins4ne on 12-15-2006 at 08:51 AM

quote:
NvidiO
Maybe a new graphics card from Logitech xD

lol diNovo ;)
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by albert on 12-15-2006 at 08:56 AM

quote:
quote:
NvidiO
Maybe a new graphics card from Logitech xD

lol diNovo ;)

Sorry.. It's 3:56 AM here.. Getting a little tired.. lol
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by RaceProUK on 12-15-2006 at 08:23 PM

Mouse

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by CookieRevised on 12-15-2006 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Priced at USD $199, that is a killer for teens who just love new gadgets.

I personally thought about getting it.. Then I realized it's not out in Canada yet.. and if I wanted to purchase it through out ebay or amazon, that would come up to about 300$ CAN..

Quality wise it seems to be worth getting, but what do you guys think about it price-wise?
300$ CAN for a keyboard which simply looks nice (in the eye of the beholder) and more importantly is even less usefull than any other ordinary keyboard is waaaaaaaaaay too expensive...

Personally I never ever would buy it (even not for 199$US).

I rather would spend the money on something more usefull like extra memory, a big harddisk or whatever.
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Woraug on 12-15-2006 at 09:34 PM

I doubt the Optimus keyboard will ever be released.  It's been talked about for years.  About a year ago, they sold the Mini 3 at $99, which could later be returned for credit towards the Optimus when (If) it released.  They say now that the screens on the keys are no longer LCD, but will be OLED.  Anyway, back on topic.  I would love to own a DiNovo, but for now, I'll stick to my $17 multimedia/office keyboard.

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Nathan on 12-15-2006 at 09:38 PM

I'd say this is more advanced:
Laser Keyboard

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Plik on 12-15-2006 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
I'd say this is more advanced:
Laser Keyboard
IIRC its also supposed to be really horrible to use, and the novelty will wear off after a few keystrokes

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Woraug on 12-16-2006 at 01:46 AM

I've tried that laser keyboard.  My friend Daniel has one.  Half the time it didn't even detect keystrokes.

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Nathan on 12-16-2006 at 09:40 AM

Don't tell me that :<

I've just bought my uncle one :P

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Fuse on 12-18-2006 at 07:48 PM

they should offer the same product without the damn bluetooth/touch thingy, then maybe they'd get it less than $100 and they should sell it here in the uk.

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Nathan on 12-18-2006 at 08:08 PM

Erm What would be the point of "laser" keyboard if they got rid of the touch :P

+ They do deliver to the UK because i live in the UK and there delivering it to my house :>

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Kenji on 12-18-2006 at 08:12 PM

How the hell are you meant to type with that thing, you need to feel the keys, and i bet it would fuck up if youre pressing the top keys.

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Nathan on 12-18-2006 at 08:16 PM

Nope,
I've typed on it, Its really nice :P

EDIT: I'm just arguing with cookie about this keyboard :P

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by CookieRevised on 12-18-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Nope,

lol...

though, I should be carefull in using it though.... No wonder there are no neg comments on review pages... when you shake it too hard out of frustration because it doesn't work properly, the laser will actually shoot up in your eyes making you blind or worse, frying your brain and killing you...
RE: RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by Vilkku on 12-18-2006 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Nope,

lol...

though, I should be carefull in using it though.... No wonder there are no neg comments on review pages... when you shake it too hard out of frustration because it doesn't work properly, the laser will actually shoot up in your eyes making you blind or worse, frying your brain and killing you...

And that's the truth because Cookie said so :O

Anyway, thay keyboard is more a gadget than something you would use daily.
RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by lightoftheworld on 11-24-2008 at 05:58 AM

The Logitech Di Novo keyboard is in NO WAY shape and especially form the world's most advanced keyboard. That title belongs to the Kinesis advantage Qwerty-Dvorak keyboard at least and or the Maltron keyboard at best. As I understand it, outside of the software built into your computer, this STUPID excuse for a keyboard won't let you type in anything other than Qwerty. Perhaps the arguement is that it is the world's best Stupid keyboard, slimmest, most square looking, most Fung Shui, or any of a number of arguements such as most tactile has the best gives the best finger feel or some other characteristic of which I am sure it has many. But to argue that it is the world's best keyboard is like arguing that roller skates will get you from San Francisco to Los Angeles when you skate down the Coastal High Way faster than a fully functioning Lamborgini after they remove all speed limits.

For my money, the worlds ultimate keyboard at this time would be a Maltron-Dvorak switchable keyboard of which Maltron is now (I think I saw) producing. But in practical terms the world's best keyboard layout is the Dvorak. The reason for this is that a Maltron is a physical form as well as a layout. Dvorak on the other hand is built on the Qwerty physical platform. And it is already pre-built into every computer in the world. At least it is built into all Linux, Macs and PC's.

Be sure to click on the links below for a treatise on the Dvorak layout. The reason I recommend the Dvorak keyboard is that for the cost of a letter or at the stroke of a pen whoever is the president of the United States can save the country triliions of dollars each and every year. Here are the facts as they stood in 1975. I saw this in a book called Future Facts. (if I recall right). Between the time the Dvorak was invented and 1975 the country lost over one trillion dollars in productivity. That was way before the advent of the PC and the Internet was a mere thought in it's Father's head. Now computers are ubiquitous, but the keyboard has persisted. In my opinion and certainly my personal experience this is due to the tenured system of education. I don't have to even have to look at the facts but I'm willing to bet that the most tenured teachers in this country are typing teachers. I made that call out of the air. Challenge me if you will. And correct me if I am wrong.

Sooner or Later the world will wake up and no one will be using the Qwerty keyboard that has cost the world so much in terms of time, money and health. And as each passing day goes on the transition will become more and more costly. But it will happen. Were it to happen today the best keyboard to take on the job would be the Dvorak keyboard as it increases productivity greatly, uses the same basic physical keyboard layout. and the change can be made by simply applying labels on top of most keyboards and using a software package to switch the keystrokes of the individual keys.

The last time I posted about this was in November of 2007 but as nothing has changed I feel that I must change. And the change that I am making is to become the world's foremost Dvorak keyboard advocate. I am beginning a campaign wherein I may even eventually have to run for congress just to be able to enter the legislation that makes the keyboard the only American Standard. But we now have a new president and this is my request of him. President Obama I am pleading with you to attend to this situation. You said yourself that we can all play our part. I held a platform meeting for your campaign but they would not let me add that suggestion to our recommendations. Please Mr. President take bold action.

The cost not to do so is phenomenal. Everyone who types on a Qwerty, whether or not they touch type does between 16 and 20 times MORE HARD PHYSICAL LABOR than those who type on a Dvorak. The cost is absolutely nothing. Zero, zip, nada. That is assuming that we do not require people to relabel their computers and the fact of the matter is that if people switch to Dvorak without being able to refer to the keys they actually learn at a much more accerated rate than even I did. And I never really studied the Qwerty although as I often was forced to use one I did learn some of the basics.

As America goes so will the rest of the world.

The facts about how much time energy and effort the Dvorak saves are so astounding that when first heard about it in Junior High School I refused to learn the Qwerty keyboard and instead took a voluntary F for typing. Since then I have learned the Dvorak and although I have never had formal lessons I type very well.

The facts are so astounding that the majority of the people who do end up reading my book: Ronald Reagan Anti-Christ tell me that if nothing else they are going to switch from Qwerty to Dvorak. And that brings me to my Biblical point. Jesus said: "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." It was Ronald Reagan that cancelled the Truth in Advertising Law. He did it secretly. So secretly that some people don't even know that it is no longer the law of the land. They still assume that because someone says it in an ad it has to be true. Not so.

The Di Novo is a total piece of shit (And I don't mean it in a nice way as I am particularly fond of the stuff when it is useful such as when it comes out of ones ass. The DiNovo and every other Qwerty keyboard stinks) especially when you stop and think about all of the real keyboards that are out there. Here are a few that may be worth considering, especially if you type in Dvorak. Assuming that there are 50,000 typing teacher all making 100,000 dollars a year. That equals 5,000,000,000 or Five billion dollars a year. If we absolutely minimize my estimates to a saving of only 50,000,000,000 or 50 billion dollars a year we could let these DINOSAURS retire at full pay for the rest of their lives and still save the country 45,000,000,000 45 billion dollars each and every year.

Here's something for the Right Wing to salivate over. Think of how many more wars we could start with that money.

The facts are in the chapter The Design Science Revolution and the download is free. Even if you don't want to hear about Reagan being the Anti-Christ, Me as the "second" Christ, 911, Hurricanes, or Tornados, you owe it to yourself to get the 411 on the biggest thing to blow into town since Katrina.

RE: The world's most advanced keyboard? by John Anderton on 11-24-2008 at 07:47 AM

why the fuck does one need to spend $1200 on a keyboard? I'd rather get real hardware... :P
Use a Logitech G5 with a Logitech Media Keyboard for an approximate total cost of $100.. its a fucking nice deal.
As for getting LED keyboard with the MX rev, its a total of $1700, isn't it? I can think of such better use of the $1600 that I've just saved :-)