Shoutbox

Protect emotes? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Protect emotes? (/showthread.php?tid=69523)

Protect emotes? by skeeeb on 12-15-2006 at 12:47 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldnt find it when searching.

My friend uses messenger discovery and his emotes are protected, when I right click them there is no option to ADD the emote,  apart from getting them from the cache they are pretty well protected. The only option you get when right clicking a custom emote is to "copy" like you get with default MSN emotes.
So I was wondering if there was a script for plus that could do this as I don't want to install discovery just for this option. Or is this not possible with scripts?

Thanks

RE: Protect emotes? by TheGuruSupremacy on 12-15-2006 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skeeeb
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldnt find it when searching.

My friend uses messenger discovery and his emotes are protected, when I right click them there is no option to ADD the emote,  apart from getting them from the cache they are pretty well protected. The only option you get when right clicking a custom emote is to "copy" like you get with default MSN emotes.
So I was wondering if there was a script for plus that could do this as I don't want to install discovery just for this option. Or is this not possible with scripts?

Thanks

Ok i have verified and i could ascertain that it's impossible do it with a script....It would be possible with the script  if anyone create a library to intercept packet so that modify the packet....I hope to have been useful
RE: Protect emotes? by RaceProUK on 12-15-2006 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheGuruSupremacy
This post was edited Today at 13:06 by TheGuruSupremacy.
You obviously know how to edit, so your double-post is inexcuseable.
quote:
Originally posted by skeeeb
My friend uses messenger discovery and his emotes are protected, when I right click them there is no option to ADD the emote
It's not possible to 'protect' emoticons in this manner, Given that the emoticon has to be cached on your machine anyway. What's happening a just a quirk of Messenger. Left-click the emoticon to select it, then right-click.
RE: Protect emotes? by Spunky on 12-15-2006 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
What's happening a just a quirk of Messenger. Left-click the emoticon to select it, then right-click.

No it's not. Some emoticons I receive say "Get this emoticon now" and others say "Add...", but I do sometimres receive them without either option

RE: Protect emotes? by RaceProUK on 12-15-2006 at 04:48 PM

Granted, but it's still impossible to protect them in the way the OP hinted.

RE: RE: Protect emotes? by skeeeb on 12-16-2006 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Left-click the emoticon to select it, then right-click.

Thanks, but I know how to add emotes. :P

With "discovery messenger" installed, you cannot left/right click add... any of his emotes what so ever, the only way to get them is by pulling them out of the messenger cache. So in a way they are semi protected, because your average msn user probably does not know anything about going into msn caches and renaming files.

If it can't be done with scripts then so be it, but it is definitely happening with this discovery plugin installed.
RE: Protect emotes? by Supersonicdarky on 12-16-2006 at 07:52 PM

maybe msgrdicovery masks it to make messenger think its a default emote because you get that dialog when you click a default emote :/

just my guess

RE: Protect emotes? by pollolibredegrasa on 12-16-2006 at 07:58 PM

I don't know how Messenger Discovery does it, but I know it is possible to set your emoticons to be "un-addable" so to speak.

I remember doing it once, by creating an MCO file with the emoticon in and then installing that, but I cannot remember specific details.

I'm looking into it and will update my post if I find anything :)

RE: Protect emotes? by vikke on 12-16-2006 at 08:05 PM

It tells Messenger the smiley is brought by a package. Then the Add.. button is removed.

RE: Protect emotes? by MicroWay on 12-19-2006 at 12:25 AM

Hello people...
Using fatfreechicken's idea, I googled and find this:
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=12745
It's a little old, so I don't know if will work on WLM... But still can help someone...
(Y)

Edit:
I tested the program that is posted on the link I gave you... It realy works great... BUT even with you can't use the "Add" button, you can use the "Copy" like the image:
[Image: contactwincj4.png]

RE: Protect emotes? by skeeeb on 12-20-2006 at 05:22 PM

But copy would only work if you have that persons emote in your collection already otherwise it does nothing right?
So this could still prevent people easily stealing your emotes. :)
The only problem being that this method will only work for new smileys you add and not for your already installed emotes like the discovery is doing? The mess link is down for me currently. 

RE: Protect emotes? by felipEx on 12-20-2006 at 08:11 PM

skeeeb:
Press "Print Screen" Key, go to MS Paint and press Ctrl+V 
make your own emoticon

:P

RE: RE: Protect emotes? by skeeeb on 12-20-2006 at 11:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by afelipE_scripts
skeeeb:
Press "Print Screen" Key, go to MS Paint and press Ctrl+V 
make your own emoticon

:P

Nice, didnt know print screen was capturing animations now :P
RE: Protect emotes? by felipEx on 12-20-2006 at 11:24 PM

hahaha :P
you can use "Debugmode Wink"  software to capture animations :)