Shoutbox

[Release] YOU'REoffline - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] YOU'REoffline (/showthread.php?tid=69528)

[Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-15-2006 at 05:29 PM

YOU'REofffline

The name "you're offline" may be a bit ambiguous but this script has a useful function: protecting you from accidental use of the new offline instant messaging features introduced in Windows Live Messenger 8.

YOU'REoffline asks you to confirm sending an instant message to a contact who is either offline or has their status set to appear offline.

It is designed to remind people that the contact they are trying to chat with is offline, and to stop people sending unnecessary and annoying messages such as "bye" to a contact that has already signed out - therefore leaving the user who has just signed out with pointless and meaningless offline messages to receive and read when they sign in.

Preview:

[Image: reoffline1of6.png]

Changelog:

Version 1.0.1
- First (non-beta) release

Note: this script also has a companion script called IMoffline, the two scripts may be merged in the future

Download:

- YOU'REoffline (Version 1.0.1)

Please give feedback and report any bugs etc below. Thanks.

RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Spunky on 12-15-2006 at 05:46 PM

Doesn't WLM already do this? :S

RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Kenji on 12-15-2006 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Yes it does.. :tongue:
No it doesnt...

Read it and you will see that it asks you if you want to send a message to an offline contact.
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Spunky on 12-15-2006 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:
Yes it does.. :tongue:
No it doesnt...

Read it and you will see that it asks you if you want to send a message to an offline contact.

But, WLM already warns you about this. All the script does is give you the option to send or not. If I see a message saying they may not get it until next time, I am quite capable of making the decision not to click send. I don't have to rely on a script to double check for me. I'm sure some people will say they find it useful though :p

RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Kenji on 12-15-2006 at 05:56 PM

quote:
But, WLM already warns you about this.
Ive never had a warning.. :s
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by alexp2_ad on 12-15-2006 at 06:02 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64...d=710766#pid710766   :(

EDIT:  And spunky, these scripts provide a proper warning box, as a lot of people will miss the little yellow bar, especially if the person goes offline mid chat.

RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-15-2006 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad

EDIT:  And spunky, these scripts provide a proper warning box, as a lot of people will miss the little yellow bar, especially if the person goes offline mid chat.

Oh sorry, I didn't know there was already a script like this :|

... and yes WLM does have a confirm box BUT it only comes up when you open a window with a contact that is already offline and it either only comes up when the window is first opened or doesn't come up at all if you've told it not to come up again (after the first time) - with this script you can enable or disable notification as you please, and that yellow bar is easy to miss as alexp2_ad said.

quote:
Originally posted by the andyman
It is designed to [...] stop people sending unnecessary and annoying messages such as "bye" to a contact that has already signed out - therefore leaving the user who has just signed out with pointless and meaningless offline messages to receive and read when they sign in.

RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by alexp2_ad on 12-15-2006 at 06:26 PM

quote:
quote:

Oh sorry, I didn't know there was already a script like this :|

Fair enough, I never bothered to make a real plus window for it, or release it to the script db, and obviously I like the idea so... go you.
RE: RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-15-2006 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Fair enough, I never bothered to make a real plus window for it, or release it to the script db, and obviously I like the idea so... go you.
thanks, but from the brief description of yours at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64...d=710766#pid710766 it sounds a lot more advanced and better tbh
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by alexp2_ad on 12-15-2006 at 07:29 PM

quote:
quote:
thanks, but from the brief description of yours at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64...d=710766#pid710766 it sounds a lot more advanced and better tbh

Well the only difference I think is that mine only does it if they went offline while a window is open.  Feel free to nab my code if you like.

And you should definitely combine this with your other script, and make a window that lets you turn each bit on and off, if you have time anyway.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-15-2006 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Feel free to nab my code if you like.
Thanks, I might do if I have some time.

quote:
And you should definitely combine this with your other script
on its way ...
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by CookieRevised on 12-15-2006 at 08:43 PM

The script name is indeed a bit wrong... I would call it
"THEY'REoffline"

this goes better together with "I'Moffline" too (ps: don't forget the single quote between I and M)

Because if the user reads "you" it is quite obvious that he will interpret this as pointing to himself, not to the contact...

;)

RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-15-2006 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The script name is indeed a bit wrong... I would call it
"THEY'REoffline"

[...]

Because if the user reads "you" it is quite obvious that he will interpret this as pointing to himself, not to the contact...
Hmm I suppose, thanks for your opinion :)
I did think about that name before deciding to use YOU'REoffline but I thought that if you were talking to an offline contact then you could say "you're offline" (even though no-one would ;)) and if you are using the other script then you could say "I'm offline".

quote:
ps: don't forget the single quote between I and M
I deliberately missed it out to be a bit ambiguous as "IM" = instant message
RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by CookieRevised on 12-15-2006 at 09:24 PM

quote:
I did think about that name before deciding to use YOU'REoffline but I thought that if you were talking to an offline contact then you could say "you're offline" (even though no-one would ;)) and if you are using the other script then you could say "I'm offline".
actually that logic fails though.

Yes, a user can say "you're offline" to a contact.

But a message box is never for the contact to read. And more importantly, it gives the status of the contact (their status), not our status.

eg: if I read message somewhere "You are big", I don't interpret it as that person who wrote it is big, but as me being big.

If anything it is "I'Moffline" which could be named as "YOU'REoffline"... but not this script as it deals with the status of the contact, not ours.

;)
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by AmbulanceX on 12-16-2006 at 05:02 AM

yeah this is something i requested a long time ago, it was made by a few different people a few times, but what i really want is the yellow info bar to be red, so i notice it, OR even better the part where u enter text to go red when there offline... that would be the best ever.

RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-16-2006 at 11:47 AM

quote:
[...]
actually that logic fails though.

Yes, a user can say "you're offline" to a contact.

But a message box is never for the contact to read. And more importantly, it gives the status of the contact (their status), not our status.

eg: if I read message somewhere "You are big", I don't interpret it as that person who wrote it is big, but as me being big.

If anything it is "I'Moffline" which could be named as "YOU'REoffline"... but not this script as it deals with the status of the contact, not ours.

;)
slightly confusing, but good, point - when I merge the two scripts into one I am going to get rid off the two existing names

quote:
Originally posted by AmbulanceX
what i really want is the yellow info bar to be red, so i notice it, OR even better the part where u enter text to go red when there offline... that would be the best ever.
I get the feeling that this isn't possible with just the MP!L scripts api
RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by CookieRevised on 12-16-2006 at 11:47 PM

quote:
when I merge the two scripts into one I am going to get rid off the two existing names
Naaah... make it "WE'REoffline" :p;)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AmbulanceX
what i really want is the yellow info bar to be red, so i notice it, OR even better the part where u enter text to go red when there offline... that would be the best ever.
I get the feeling that this isn't possible with just the MP!L scripts api
It would require altering the UI files in the resources, aka patching, if you can alter those colors at all, dunno... And if it means altering the UI files then it also means that this can only be done when messenger isn't running since resources are only read once, when messenger starts.
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Spunky on 12-17-2006 at 01:24 AM

quote:
It would require altering the UI files in the resources, aka patching, if you can alter those colors at all, dunno... And if it means altering the UI files then it also means that this can only be done when messenger isn't running since resources are only read once, when messenger starts.

How about a transparent (not fully, but about 50%) overlaying window thats sized to the dimensions of the text area? I know... it's my solution for everything :p
RE: RE: RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-17-2006 at 03:15 PM

quote:
quote:
when I merge the two scripts into one I am going to get rid off the two existing names
Naaah... make it "WE'REoffline" :p;)
lol :P, so far I'm thinking of calling it "offlinePROTECTr", anyone got any other ideas?

UPDATE:

This script is no longer being developed. Although it will continue to exist it is recommended that you upgrade to Offline Protector to benefit from more features and new upgrades.

Offline Protector includes the same function as YOU'REoffline but also has the function of IMoffline and has been extended for them to work better together and be more helpful.

To download or find out more about Offline Protector please visit its thread.
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Wally on 12-18-2006 at 09:51 AM

Im sorry if this was already said but andy man when some one is appearing offline and im chating to them the messege will come up asking if i want to send it to them i click yes and it will repeat the messege twise to the person im chating to appearing offline can this be fixed? :(

RE: RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-18-2006 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wally lebo rambo
Im sorry if this was already said but andy man when some one is appearing offline and im chating to them the messege will come up asking if i want to send it to them i click yes and it will repeat the messege twise to the person im chating to appearing offline can this be fixed? :(
Do you mean that it sends the message that you typed twice or it comes up with the confirm box twice?? Also, does this always happen or is it only with a particular contact or has it only happened once?
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Wally on 12-18-2006 at 08:43 PM

the messege that is being repeated is the message that im sending to the contact  example i would write a messege press send then the your offline message apears asking to send the messege i would click yes and the messege i sent would appear twise this has only happened with one contact i havent tried it with another

RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-18-2006 at 10:52 PM

quote:
i havent tried it with another
Please do if you can so I can build a bigger profile of this bug.

RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by matty on 12-18-2006 at 10:57 PM

quote:
quote:
i havent tried it with another
Please do if you can so I can build a bigger profile of this bug.
He means that if hes chatting with someone who is appearing offline then he gets the confirmation box each time he tries to send a message. You need to check if they have already confirmed the sending of a message you shouldn't ask them multiple times.
RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by Wally on 12-18-2006 at 11:02 PM

yes iv tried with other contacks the same thing happens i dont mind that the comfermation box always comes up its that its sends the messege im writing twise and some times in the comfermation box when i click no it would send the messege enyway :/ maybe a glitch

RE: [Release] YOU'REoffline by the andyman on 12-18-2006 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
[...] You need to check if they have already confirmed the sending of a message you shouldn't ask them multiple times.
Yeah I think I've managed to pick up what's going wrong for him (and it has happened to me a few times before although I thought it was fixed). The script does check if they have already confirmed and normally only confirms and sends the message once ...

quote:
yes iv tried with other contacks the same thing happens i dont mind that the comfermation box always comes up its that its sends the messege im writing twise and some times in the comfermation box when i click no it would send the messege enyway :/ maybe a glitch
Very strange, has anyone else had this bug please?