Shoutbox

Cant open my logs !!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Cant open my logs !!! (/showthread.php?tid=69548)

Cant open my logs !!! by Lebby on 12-16-2006 at 01:58 AM

Since I formated my  "C:"  drive I cant open my logs file that are on the "F:" drive . All my files are encrypted with the window thing (right clic on folder --> properties --> advance --> chec: Encrypt contents to secure data) and they are encrypted with a password that you can make with Messenger Plus. When i try to open a file it says  "acces is denied" (and show a blank document)

I can open the files that are saved with window live messenger but these file are only saved since 5 day ( i delite them each month , use it only to show the last ending conversation when i open a conversation )

If someone can help me to open the MsgPlus logs files I would be happy :) cuz my conversation are saved since 1 years >.<

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you will understand.   thank you

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by MattyRid on 12-16-2006 at 02:05 AM

Once you chat logs are encrypted with a password, you can't retrieve them unless you know or enter in the correct password. And there is nothing that can be done.

SO basically, your stuffed...best thing to do....start fresh by deleting any chat logs...put in a new password , remember it and write it down...then you should be fine

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Lebby on 12-16-2006 at 03:13 PM

Thats not the problem, i know my password  but it dont ask me any password it just says acces denied

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by NanaFreak on 12-16-2006 at 03:29 PM

ok well this might be a long shot but does the icon next to the file look like:

[Image: icon_thumb.png]
Click for large

if it doesnt then you might need to do this:
[Image: step1_thumb.png]
Click for large

[Image: step2_thumb.png]
Click for large

i hope this helps you

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Lebby on 12-16-2006 at 04:11 PM

That what happen when i try to change password of a conversation that i cant even open :

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iconlockcs1.jpg

My folder and all my subfolder are encrypted :

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=encryptbb1.jpg

Thats what happen when i try to uncheck the encryption :

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=atterrorcd2.jpg

I noticed that I can change my password and open my conversation that got saved after that I formated my computer.
I cant do anything with the old conversation.         
               Ty for helping :)

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Thor on 12-16-2006 at 04:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lebby
That what happen when i try to change password of a conversation that i cant even open :

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iconlockcs1.jpg

My folder and all my subfolder are encrypted :

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=encryptbb1.jpg

Thats what happen when i try to uncheck the encryption :

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=atterrorcd2.jpg

I noticed that I can change my password and open my conversation that got saved after that I formated my computer.
I cant do anything with the old conversation.         
               Ty for helping :)
That is odd... :S

To be honest I don't know what the problem is, it's weird, that's for sure.

btw, you forgot to censor an address on the last image.
RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Lebby on 12-16-2006 at 04:36 PM

Its ok it was an old email that is not in use atm ^^
ill wait 1 week to search for a solution
if i dont find ill have to delite all the conversation >.<..

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Felu on 12-16-2006 at 05:23 PM

To me it appears that either the file is being used by another application/process(Restarting might help) or the file is corrupt.

RE: Cant open my logs !!! by pollolibredegrasa on 12-16-2006 at 05:31 PM

This is nothing to do with Plus!, nor is it due to a file being corrupt/ in use.

quote:
All my files are encrypted with the window thing (right clic on folder --> properties --> advance --> chec: Encrypt contents to secure data)

That's your problem. If I understand correctly from what I have read online,the only person who can have access to files protected with that is the original user who created it, thus if you formatted the drive with that account on, I don't think (although I'm not 100%) that there is way of getting it back...

But as I said, I'm not 100% certain, so don't delete them yet as someone else may be able to provide more help ;)
RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Lebby on 12-17-2006 at 02:19 AM

Im waiting :S

RE: RE: Cant open my logs !!! by MattyRid on 12-17-2006 at 02:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
This is nothing to do with Plus!, nor is it due to a file being corrupt/ in use.
quote:
All my files are encrypted with the window thing (right clic on folder --> properties --> advance --> chec: Encrypt contents to secure data)

That's your problem. If I understand correctly from what I have read online,the only person who can have access to files protected with that is the original user who created it, thus if you formatted the drive with that account on, I don't think (although I'm not 100%) that there is way of getting it back...

But as I said, I'm not 100% certain, so don't delete them yet as someone else may be able to provide more help ;)

sounds like a logical explanation.....so basically your going to have to delete those logs as they have been affected one way or another. Regardless, you're going to have to start fresh again.
RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Voldemort on 12-17-2006 at 02:43 AM

quote:
Im waiting
First of all, we are volunteers. we don't get paid, you don't pay for MsgPlus! so most things  _ can't _ be demanded.
Second,  I remember that i read online a long time ago  that you could recover that type of files with that encription by renaming a user to the exact user name they were created with. I never tried but you won't harm anything if you try.
RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Terry_K on 12-17-2006 at 06:35 AM

I have managed to get myself out of access denied errors caused by similar issues.

As a result, I recommend that you go to the security tab of the properties dialog box and try to set permissions for yourself. If none of that works, you may need to use the cacls command which can be quite difficult to use.

As for the Windows encryption, this can be very tough. If you still have your original data from your C: drive, you may still be able to dig up the encryption key. Try looking around using google for some tips.

I am assuming that you are an admin on your computer (because you formatted your computer) and you have XP Pro (because you were able to encrypt your data).

A word of warning for the future: NEVER use Windows to encrypt your data if it is data you would regret losing because if you format your Windows drive (usually your C: drive), you may lose your encryption key. Of course, this doesn't apply if your data is confidential and you would rather lose it than let others get access to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
I remember that i read online a long time ago  that you could recover that type of files with that encription by renaming a user to the exact user name they were created with.
Unfortunately that won't work because Windows identified user accounts by a unique ID number rather than their name. This unique ID number is randomly created when the account is created.
RE: Cant open my logs !!! by Lebby on 12-17-2006 at 09:09 PM

hmm ok , Ill delite all :(