Shoutbox

Mac Users ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Mac Users ? (/showthread.php?tid=69607)

Mac Users ? by ryanayr on 12-17-2006 at 04:37 PM

I am a Mac user and downloaded windows live 6.1 for mac (i previously owned window and had messenger plus live) my question is there messenger plus live for Mac users? or any other alternative? if not is there any software which can customize contacts name.
thank you

RE: Mac Users ? by Kenji on 12-17-2006 at 04:43 PM

No, there will never be a msg plus for mac.

RE: Mac Users ? by albert on 12-17-2006 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
No, there will never be a msg plus for mac.

That is true.

Reasons :

1- Patchou does not have a mac.
2- The apple API does not permit this.

For more info :
http://old.msgplus.net/help_faq.php?expand=1#mac

--------------------

I did find something that you might like though, it's a MESS patch for MAC. (It's honestly the only thing I was able to find)

Basicly it will let you tweak your messenger version a bit.

I tried to get a direct link but I wasn't able to do so.. It brought me back to the first page, so go to http://mess.be , go into downloads and search for mac it's at the end MESS PATCH for mac.

Hope it helps.
RE: Mac Users ? by Zahid™ on 12-17-2006 at 06:43 PM

But you'll need Mac Messenger 5.1.1 if you want to use Mess Patch because it only works on 5.1.1.
5.1.1 -> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=d...er511_download.xml
Direct Mess Patch link ->
http://mess.be/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=682

RE: Mac Users ? by Hank on 12-28-2006 at 07:55 AM

Amsn there Plus plugin isnt for mac is it?  http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

RE: Mac Users ? by Pantalaimon on 12-30-2006 at 04:42 PM

yeah, but aMSN sux

maybe plus! for adium (A)*-)

RE: Mac Users ? by ryxdp on 01-01-2007 at 09:13 AM

I don't think Patchou wants to spend more time working from scratch on a new Plus! for macs, and before he did that he'd have to learn macs' language anyway...It would probably drain his energy and his time working on the Windows version.

If you want to make a version of Plus! for macs, then go ahead, just don't call it "Messenger Plus!" and acknowledge Patchou for inspiring you to make it in the first place:P

RE: RE: Mac Users ? by Val on 01-01-2007 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
I don't think Patchou wants to spend more time working from scratch on a new Plus! for macs, and before he did that he'd have to learn macs' language anyway...It would probably drain his energy and his time working on the Windows version.

Well it is objective-c and Patchou codes in C++ so it wouldn't be that hard.

This topic has been discussed a number of times. If some people actually looked at the FAQ (http://msgpluslive.net/help/faq/general/#mac-version), they would know this without posting a new thread.
RE: Mac Users ? by ryxdp on 01-02-2007 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by the FAQ
No, there will never be a Macintosh version or a Linux version of Messenger Plus! Live due to several reasons, including the fact that I have absolutely no time to put in such kind of project.

:) In short, that's it.
RE: Mac Users ? by manelle on 11-29-2007 at 02:02 PM

CAMON!!! some one please make a mac messenger plus!
every one in the world uses it!!!
and half of the world is MAC!
PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!

make it a charity proje
ct :o)

RE: RE: Mac Users ? by Phillip on 11-29-2007 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
quote:
Originally posted by the FAQ
No, there will never be a Macintosh version or a Linux version of Messenger Plus! Live due to several reasons, including the fact that I have absolutely no time to put in such kind of project.

:) In short, that's it.
Not going to happen.
RE: Mac Users ? by aNILEator on 11-29-2007 at 03:29 PM

Manelle grossly has his/her facts/statistics wrong :P

RE: Mac Users ? by Patchou on 11-29-2007 at 07:03 PM

send me a Mac (a new one) and I'll think about it.

RE: Mac Users ? by aNILEator on 11-29-2007 at 07:19 PM

Not thought about OSx86 then Patchou? :P

These days people have got Leopard running natively on the original non hacked kernel on their standard hardware PC's :)

RE: Mac Users ? by tony on 11-29-2007 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

Oh C'mon i bet you have the money to get a hundred of those :p
RE: Mac Users ? by Svip on 11-29-2007 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by manelle

make it a charity proje
I just love your sources.  Less than 25% of the human population owns a computer, and yet you claim half of it is Mac, thus meaning... wait a minute.  You said is Mac.  Are you saying half of this planet is made by Apple?

Hmmm, I like your conspiracy theories...
RE: Mac Users ? by MeEtc on 11-29-2007 at 09:11 PM

Here's some statistics for you from my web server, for the OS of hits I get:

code:
#    #reqs    #pages    OS
1       116731   107166        Windows
        88770      81211         Windows XP
        25706      23870         Windows Vista
        1292        1207         Windows 2000
        362          333         Windows Server 2003
        310          286         Windows 98
        129          117          Windows ME
        129          111         Windows NT
        32            30         Windows CE
        1              1         Windows 95
2       1977        1814          Macintosh
3       1523        1343          OS unknown
4       964          862          Unix
        955          854         Linux
        6              6           SunOS
        3              2         BSD
5       124         110          Known robots
6       2             2          Symbian OS
looks like about 1% of users, to me
RE: Mac Users ? by -dt- on 11-30-2007 at 03:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Svip
quote:
Originally posted by manelle

make it a charity proje
I just love your sources.  Less than 25% of the human population owns a computer, and yet you claim half of it is Mac, thus meaning... wait a minute.  You said is Mac.  Are you saying half of this planet is made by Apple?

Hmmm, I like your conspiracy theories...
:--o svip is 50% apple
RE: RE: Mac Users ? by Patchou on 11-30-2007 at 03:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Not thought about OSx86 then Patchou? :P
Na... if I'm going to develop something for Steve and be a pal of the smart-ass from tv, I want to use the real thing. I make a pledge today: if I receive one of the recent Mac systems, I'll take the time to try to develop an add-on for Messenger Mac. If I don't succeed, I'll send the Mac back.
RE: Mac Users ? by TReKiE on 11-30-2007 at 04:07 AM

quote:
if I receive one of the recent Mac systems, I'll take the time to try to develop an add-on for Messenger Mac.
Phew, no worry about that happening then *giggle* ;)
Shall sleep soundly tonight :P

EDIT: I don't think anyone would be satisfied with a Mac version even if it existed.  The functionality would never be the same, the scripting isn't transferable, etc.

An operating system without Plus, Winamp, and uTorrent.  Count me out :p
RE: Mac Users ? by Val on 11-30-2007 at 04:21 AM

To anyone that is looking for an add-on similar to Messenger Plus! for Mac OS X, I suggest trying out Adium. Although it does not parse Plus! text formatting (colours, bold, italics, etc.), it does offer a more richer, customizable experience in which MFM (Messenger For Mac) does not offer.

Below is a screenshot of a heavily customized Adium interface.
http://valspy.net/junk/images/adium.png

RE: RE: Mac Users ? by TReKiE on 11-30-2007 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Val
I suggest trying out Adium. Although it does not parse Plus! text formatting (colours, bold, italics, etc.), it does offer a more richer, customizable experience in which MFM (Messenger For Mac) does not offer.
You forgot to mention file transfers don't work and it fails to follow the MSNP guidelines for fonts thereby resulting in some rather ugly non anti-aliased fonts on the screens of your non-adium contacts :P

Plus' override contacts' font feature obviously solves the latter problem :P

Better than nothing I suppose :P

Personal sidenote: fortunately Val is an awesome person so I can overlook this :P
RE: Mac Users ? by Dane on 11-30-2007 at 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TReKiE
An operating system without Plus, Winamp, and uTorrent.  Count me out :p

Yeah, umm...if that ever happened, you might as well just put me six feet under...I am too reliant on the three programs above and many more Windows based programs...I dread the day that development stops on any of them.
RE: Mac Users ? by Patchou on 11-30-2007 at 05:21 AM

bhaa... Trekie... don't destroy this excellent way out I just put in place. This post will be perfect next time somebody wants me to do something for Jobs. The actual truth would probably hurt the ears of the innocents.

Btw, I was not kidding. Send me a Mac and I'll check it out, I'll keep my word.
* Patchou prays

RE: Mac Users ? by Dane on 11-30-2007 at 05:30 AM

* Dane is tempted to buy Patchou a Mac to watch this happen...

...In all reality, Macs are too expensive, I've thought of getting one a few times as a "2nd Experience", but like...I cant part with that much money to "Try" something.

Patchou would have to make another "evil sponsor" for Mac too...hehe

RE: Mac Users ? by riahc4 on 12-03-2007 at 11:45 AM

Well if Patchou is really serious about this, how about a donation page? Or a donation link in the store? That way everyone that really wants to see Plus! on a Mac can donate. And BTW don't give the Mac back Patchou; I think the man deserves to keep it after his hard work.

RE: Mac Users ? by Menthix on 12-03-2007 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
if Patchou is really serious about this, how about a donation page? Or a donation link in the store? That way everyone that really wants to see Plus! on a Mac can donate.
* Menthix summons the Apple fanboys
RE: Mac Users ? by riahc4 on 12-05-2007 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
if Patchou is really serious about this, how about a donation page? Or a donation link in the store? That way everyone that really wants to see Plus! on a Mac can donate.
* MenthiX summons the Apple fanboys
Im serious. Its a new and exciting challenge for Patchou. Any programmer loves that.
RE: RE: Mac Users ? by vikke on 12-05-2007 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Im serious. Its a new and exciting challenge for Patchou. Any programmer loves that.
The Macintosh API/framework doesn't support programs to extend each other like Windows does. This is also why Macs are more resistant malware (though almost every malware is written for Windows) etc. Of course you can do some extensions to the never-updated Macintosh client, features such as MessPatch for Mac does.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but for Macintosh the best way would probably be writing your own client for the Messenger protocol and include MP!L support.
RE: Mac Users ? by vid_88 on 12-10-2007 at 01:49 AM

I'd be happy to buy Patchou a Mac... but what features of MP!L do you really want on a Mac? The official Microsoft client sucks - a lot of things that Plus! adds functionality too aren't even supported for the Mac client, which leaves you back at square one.

Adium is the best client out there in terms of user experience (and SOME additional features), but the fact of the matter is Microsoft are unwilling to (and unlikely to) bring features found on Windows versions of Messenger to Mac because OS X isn't their OS - Windows is.

RE: Mac Users ? by Adeptus on 12-10-2007 at 02:31 AM

MsgPlus! only exists as an add-on because it has been impossible to get Microsoft to implement features users want in the official Windows client.  Anyone wishing to bring their favorite features of Plus! to Mac should look into contributing to Adium or another open source project, where they will be a welcome addition.   

RE: Mac Users ? by danielapva on 01-14-2009 at 04:01 AM

I think Patchou should try new adventures. And I'm sure many people would be grateful with him.

RE: Mac Users ? by prashker on 01-14-2009 at 04:04 AM

OMG YOU POSTED IN AN OLD THREAD, YOU CONVINCED ME (btw I'm Patchou)

RE: Mac Users ? by blessedguy on 01-14-2009 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by danielapva
I think Patchou should try new adventures. And I'm sure many people would be grateful with him.
Send him a Mac, and he'll try =)
quote:
Btw, I was not kidding. Send me a Mac and I'll check it out, I'll keep my word.
* Patchou prays

RE: Mac Users ? by riahc4 on 01-31-2009 at 11:50 PM

I was gonna post the exact same message I posted but saw I already posted haha...Ill address this anyways again...

quote:
quote:
Well if Patchou is really serious about this, how about a donation page? Or a donation link in the store? That way everyone that really wants to see Plus! on a Mac can donate. And BTW don't give the Mac back Patchou; I think the man deserves to keep it after his hard work.

Can't a member (who uses a Mac) set up a donation website and all those donations could go to Patchou so he can buy his Mac?

quote:
quote:
quote:

I dislike Apple. I like Windows. I have mixed feelings about unix (on that note, no Plus! will never be on unix/Linux)

quote:
Originally posted by vikke

The Macintosh API/framework doesn't support programs to extend each other like Windows does. This is also why Macs are more resistant malware
More people spreading BS....

OSX doesnt have viruses not because of its API, its because in order to install a malware (or any software) you must type in your password (Think of it like UAC)

Anyways, if a Mac member truely wants to see Plus! for OSX, then create a donation page. Patchou (IMO) is kinda slow on ideas (not his fault, there aint much else he can do) so this would be a new project for him. I, personally, have intrest not because I own a Mac but because Id like to see that Patchou could do with the OSX API.
RE: Mac Users ? by Nathan on 02-01-2009 at 01:14 AM

I'd really like to see this as well actually. I have an old mac computer i use sometimes, and I would love to use plus on it.
I would also love to see what patchou could do with the osx api.
I would also be willing to set up a donation page, for all those who would donate - as long as patchou would publicise it, so people would actually donate.

Go patchou :P

RE: Mac Users ? by riahc4 on 02-01-2009 at 01:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
I'd really like to see this as well actually. I have an old mac computer i use sometimes, and I would love to use plus on it.
I would also love to see what patchou could do with the osx api.
I would also be willing to set up a donation page, for all those who would donate - as long as patchou would publicise it, so people would actually donate.

Go patchou :P
Then set it up :) Patchou will contact you to make sure the funds get to him for this.

RE: Mac Users ? by janlukaz on 02-01-2009 at 02:44 AM

Well if you get like 500 people to pay $3 each then you could buy a macbook pro to Patchou. Someone make a pool on the subject. I don't have a Mac, but I plan on doing, and I'd be glad to give $3 for MsgPlus! on Mac.

RE: Mac Users ? by Menthix on 02-01-2009 at 03:05 AM

He did say he'll attempt to make a Mac version and send the device back if he doesn't succeed. If anyone starts a donation thingie, make sure you aren't guaranteeing anything and make clear what happens to the money when the Mac is returned.

RE: RE: Mac Users ? by Patchou on 02-01-2009 at 03:58 AM

quote:
He did say he'll attempt to make a Mac version and send the device back if he doesn't succeed. If anyone starts a donation thingie, make sure you aren't guaranteeing anything and make clear what happens to the money when the Mac is returned.

yup, and while you're at it, make sure you send me some extra cash with the Mac. If I have to join the club, I'll need an iPod Touch, some cool Apple ear-plugs and a smart ass pair of jeans ;)
RE: Mac Users ? by Th3rmal on 02-01-2009 at 04:11 AM

quote:
quote:

yup, and while you're at it, make sure you send me some extra cash with the Mac. If I have to join the club, I'll need an iPod Touch, some cool Apple ear-plugs and a smart ass pair of jeans ;)
Apple-bottom jeans? :P
RE: Mac Users ? by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by janlukaz
Well if you get like 500 people to pay $3 each then you could buy a macbook pro to Patchou. Someone make a pool on the subject. I don't have a Mac, but I plan on doing, and I'd be glad to give $3 for MsgPlus! on Mac.

You dont have to have a Mac to set this up.
Just a simple page with a system that you can send whatever you want towards the donation.
BTW by your logic 3*500
$1500
Which would get Patchou a:

iMac 20-inch
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide (could be changed to western spanish, french ;), or jap)

quote:
I disagree with sending it back. I think he should keep it. A additional thank you for putting work into the addon

quote:

Damn Patchou :P

For the record, Patchou's comments above are a joke. He will seriously try to see what he can do on a Mac for Plus!
Another thing, if the donation thing comes thru, Maclovers, Plus! will take some time (I personally think close to a year) to port over to OSX so don't think you will get it instantly.
RE: Mac Users ? by JustJonno on 09-15-2010 at 12:25 AM

Oki.. registered just to add to this thread and belay a few of the typical apple hater BS that people spout.

Plus, Winamp and uTorrent:
Not yet; more than enough projects exactly the same; umm its been around for ages.

Secondly..
With OSX Snow Leopard the application interaction is greatly improved but on multiple layers within the system based upon the settings of the application itself. E.g: you can pull an itunes song into ANY program by calling the itunes library class within the host program and without iTunes having to be open or running.
So yes, you could do exactly what plus does on windows with the mac provided its running at least leopard OS.

For all of you though that think it would be oh so simple to build a program as complex and established as msgpluslive for the Mac and instantly make it as good as the windows version, then i'm sorry to tell you that you're gonna be disappointed.
Just ask any software provider that wrote for Windows exclusively then branched out to mac, either the software takes too long to write to the current windows version, or you release a very very cut down version for the mac and lose your customers before you start.

If you want MPL for the mac, then you'd be better off starting from scratch all over again and building up like patchou did with the windows version. I can see exactly why patchou has said buy me a mac and i'll try, and why he hasn't gone out already and tried. If you have a winning formula, don't mess with it.

I've been a programmer in windows for years, I moved to macs because of my own reasons and because of the graphical and audio manipulation and i've tried writing simple things like iPhone apps... Its not as easy as it sounds even for someone with 10 years experiance writing C++ code!!

What would be easier would be to find a seasoned apple programmer, get him/her and patchou in a room together and let them figure out what parts of MPL would work and go code them out in a whole new program.

Jonno

p.s: sorry to piss on dreams, but just trying to be realistic from a programmers p.o.v.
p.p.s: Hi everyone!! :) newbie to the board :D

RE: Mac Users ? by ShawnZ on 09-15-2010 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JustJonno
Not yet; more than enough projects exactly the same; umm its been around for ages.

actually, utorrent for mac is now at version 1.0 :p
quote:
With OSX Snow Leopard the application interaction is greatly improved but on multiple layers within the system based upon the settings of the application itself. E.g: you can pull an itunes song into ANY program by calling the itunes library class within the host program and without iTunes having to be open or running.
So yes, you could do exactly what plus does on windows with the mac provided its running at least leopard OS.

all of this is irrelevant, because it's always been possible, in every version of osx and probably even os9<. whoever said anything about the api not being there is mistaken, because plus doesn't use the messenger api (well, technically it does a little, but only for convenience, not by necessity.) the majority of plus' functionality is added by loading code into messenger's process to intercept various library calls and such, which is just as easily possible on osx, except for the fact that messenger for mac is a completely different code base and all of the mac's system APIs are completely different from that of windows. so, it's perfectly possible to write a version of plus for messenger for mac, but Patchou would have to start completely from scratch (and i mean REALLY from scratch, because he'd have to learn all of the internals of all the osx system apis, reverse engineer all the internals of messenger for mac, etc. he's a windows developer, not an osx developer.)

quote:
p.p.s: Hi everyone!!

hello :p

RE: RE: Mac Users ? by riahc4 on 10-01-2010 at 02:13 AM

quote:

Secondly..

Incorrect.

OS X (and previous versions) have had a API so programs can interact with the operating system. This of course make it (almost) possible to write (or port) every Windows program to OS X.

The problem is not the OS in itself but the API provided by Microsoft Messenger for Mac. I am not sure of the latest beta version but it has always been VERY weak with few capabilities. This is the reason it is harder (not impossible) to write a addon for Microsoft Messenger for Mac than Windows Live Messenger.

The only two current possible ways to do a addon on for OS X that resembles Plus! is:
1: Get Patchou his Apple PC :P
2: Make a open source project where the goal is to resemble from scratch Plus! This second one also has the possibility ability to be ported to *unix and to different third party clients. But if you start the project right now, keep waiting because something like that is going to take some time.