Shoutbox

Script Database - updates? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Script Database - updates? (/showthread.php?tid=69668)

Script Database - updates? by deAd on 12-19-2006 at 01:22 AM

Would it be possible to create some sort of system where the people that submit scripts to the database can update and change their scripts themselves?  Like if they had an account or something, which could be given to them when a script is approved or something like that.

You'd still need to submit normally though so we don't clog the database with complete crap, but basically the system would allow you to update their scripts and descriptions, etc.

Is this possible? I think it's a big hassle for developers to have to submit all over again just to update. :/

RE: Script Database - updates? by surfichris on 12-19-2006 at 01:28 AM

Well the thing is, I believe all scripts are manually tested before they're visible in the database (right Menthix?)

The problem with allowing users to modify scripts themselves is that after a submission is approved somebody can upload a malicious version of their script instead.

RE: Script Database - updates? by deAd on 12-19-2006 at 01:38 AM

That is a big issue, but maybe when a script is updated an email or notification can be sent to Menthix or whoever is approving them notifying them that there's a change. Menthix could check them in the same time he'd check an emailed script, and usually by then it wouldn't cause widespread harm. This way malicious scripts are found (with a slight time delay) and if they aren't malicious (most aren't :P) then it'd still be a faster, easier, better way to update the scripts.

Not the best method though *-)

RE: Script Database - updates? by Menthix on 12-19-2006 at 01:46 AM

I talked about a system like this with Patchou before.

The problem is, Patchou doesn't want to allow updates in the DB when they're not checked first. And after moderating the DB for some months now, I have to agree with that. Not checking scripts (even just the updates) will result in a mess.

However, I still want to do a system somewhere in the future where the script devvers can login and add/update there scripts. Each new script and update will in that case still be manually checked before it goes public in the DB, but i think there would still be good points for it:
- The time it takes to get your script accepted will probably go down since some things can be automised
- When sending in updates you can change your old description and such in an easy way (just change things in a text field)
- Mistakes in your submissions can be fixed easily when the script is still in queue... instead of having to send yet another mail, you could simply make changes to your submission as long as its still in the queue.
- We could create userpages, like msgpluslive.net/scripts/user/MenthiX/ where people can view all the scripts submitted by a user.
- General info (like your name and maybe website) could be changed for all your scripts at once.
- If we take automation even futher, versionnumbers could automatically be added to all scriptpacks and some generic automatic update could be written for all scripts in the DB.

The only downside would probably be that having to register a useraccount to submit a script would probably make the step for some scripters to submit their creations a bit bigger, which is something I wouldn't like to see.

Anyway, I'd like to hear ideas and thoughts about a system like this from everyone! :) Do not expect me to start working on something like this anytime soon, certainly not in the coming few months... but talking about it can never hurt.

RE: Script Database - updates? by Spunky on 12-19-2006 at 02:03 AM

I think there should be an easier method of submitting them than email IMO. You say people would think of a useraccount as a sort of barrier to stop new scripters, but I think email which always feels more personal is a bigger one. I always hate sending the emails :p

I agree it would not be a very good idea to leave unchecked scripts available for download, but how about a pending status so we can submit them and they won't be avilable until the have been reviewed (and in the case of updates, keep the old version avilable until the new was is approved, similar to how it is now :s)

I like the idea of being able to login and update scripts and so on.

As for the idea about being able to have userpages, I've been meaning to suggest for a while that the database allows search by Author as well as by topic and date etc.

RE: RE: Script Database - updates? by deAd on 12-19-2006 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiXThe only downside would probably be that having to register a useraccount to submit a script would probably make the step for some scripters to submit their creations a bit bigger, which is something I wouldn't like to see.
They could still submit by email I guess, if they didn't want/need all the benefits of having an account.
RE: Script Database - updates? by Menthix on 12-19-2006 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
how about a pending status so we can submit them and they won't be avilable until the have been reviewed
They same way its done right now, right? Because letting random users see pending scripts they can't download wouldn't make sense.

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
They could still submit by email I guess, if they didn't want/need all the benefits of having an account.
Its either submitting by email only of by user accounts only, keeping 2 different methods would cause too many chaos and confusing (what happens if a user would use both methods simultaneously? :D)

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
when a script is updated an email or notification can be sent to Menthix or whoever is approving them notifying them that there's a change. Menthix could check them in the same time he'd check an emailed script, and usually by then it wouldn't cause widespread harm.
Only if the update isn't displayed on the RSS feed, Live Alerts and, in the future , possibly auto-update until the script has been checked out. But hypothetically speaking if we would do it like this... what happens when an update turns out to be bad? Revert back to the old version? Delete the entire script? If an auto-update feature would be added someday, what will happen to the users who already installed the, newer, bad version... will they still get an update notification when a fixed version is released?
RE: Script Database - updates? by Spunky on 12-19-2006 at 04:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
They same way its done right now, right? Because letting random users see pending scripts they can't download wouldn't make sense.
quote:
similar to how it is now :s

:p

A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem. Also, thats why we have help and support forums ;)

RE: Script Database - updates? by surfichris on 12-19-2006 at 04:15 AM

quote:
A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem. Also, thats why we have help and support forums
Yes but that isn't the responsibility of the Plus! site in terms of scripts.

The responsibility Patchou/Menthix have is to ensure that any scripts offered officially from the site (as in directly downloadable) are clean. What happens during an auto-update or whatever is the responsibility of the user.
RE: Script Database - updates? by Menthix on 12-19-2006 at 03:39 PM

quote:
A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem.
True, but in that case we don't host the file and the update isn't coming from us. Its indeed a matter of responsibility like Surfi said.
RE: Script Database - updates? by Voldemort on 12-19-2006 at 05:11 PM

maybe you could get more people, like the sounds with the sound mods....

RE: Script Database - updates? by -dt- on 12-19-2006 at 05:27 PM

quote:
quote:
A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem.
True, but in that case we don't host the file and the update isn't coming from us. Its indeed a matter of responsibility like Surfi said.
hmm, if plus! had an auto updater (for scripts) then you could do what firefox does with its extension site https://addons.mozilla.org if you submit a extension to the site then they only allow the update to come from their extension site. (if you host it yourself you can have the update file coming from anywhere... but most people are fine with the way that system works) (oh and all updates sent to the firefox extension site get checked before the update is accepted)
though for a system like that to work, the script db would have to have an easier way of submitting updates and for patchou to add a script updater to plus!

RE: Script Database - updates? by Menthix on 12-19-2006 at 05:30 PM

EDIT: Reply to Voldermort...

People would still have to wait until there is a mod online who has the time to review the script, that doesn't really change anything to the situation.

Even during the busy times at the contest people hardly ever need to wait longer than 48 hours. I don't really see a problem in having to wait a little time.

RE: Script Database - updates? by saralk on 12-19-2006 at 06:02 PM

I think that having user accounts would probably be a better way than is done now.

Also, if you do have user accounts, maybe some users could become "trusted" where their scripts don't need to be checked.

RE: Script Database - updates? by Rolando on 12-19-2006 at 06:11 PM

quote:
EDIT: Reply to Voldermort...

People would still have to wait until there is a mod online who has the time to review the script, that doesn't really change anything to the situation.

Even during the busy times at the contest people hardly ever need to wait longer than 48 hours. I don't really see a problem in having to wait a little time.

I've to agree with you. We hardly wait 48 hours when an update is sent, and each and every script is checked to make sure it has no spyware, etc. Why fix things, if they're not broken?

Although a new system wouldn't hurt, the current system (sending e-mails..) is great.

RE: Script Database - updates? by Weyzza on 12-21-2006 at 06:11 PM

I suddenly thought of this thread when I was in bed last night :p
And please note that I'm not talking down the current method (submitting scripts via emails) because we all know the advantages of that.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know a person who sends an update for a script is the legitimate person to make updates?
Do you keep track the email addresses used for sending the scripts?

RE: Script Database - updates? by John Anderton on 12-21-2006 at 06:17 PM

Maybe we could have one or two more people test the script and a-ok it. Later MenthiX could add them to the db.

Basically what i'm implying is that multiple people test the script (only need to note that only one person takes the script so the scripts mark as read are being tested or something.) Once thats done, they could forward it to another address where MenthiX (the only one in the group who has access to the actual db unless all are given access which is doubtful) could add it. This would reduce MenthiX's work load :)

I'd say 1-2 more people would be enough :) What do you think?

quote:
Err ok. Though it would lessen your work load :)
Scirpt Makers Page by Fuse on 12-21-2006 at 09:39 PM

i think it would be cool if script makers were given there own page on the forum, that showed all there scripts :p

can this be done/ what do you guys think?

RE: Scirpt Makers Page by Kenji on 12-21-2006 at 09:41 PM

umm.. isnt that what http://msgpluslive.net/scripts/browse is for?

RE: RE: Scirpt Makers Page by Fuse on 12-21-2006 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy

that only allowed browse by:
category, date, rating and downloads

not by actual creator.
RE: Scirpt Makers Page by WDZ on 12-21-2006 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
lol... yeah, I wouldn't want to implement functionality here that should be handled by the official scripts database... :-/

quote:
Originally posted by Fuse101
that only allowed browse by:
category, date, rating and downloads

not by actual creator.
Then maybe MenthiX should modify paFileDB and make that possible... :p
RE: Scirpt Makers Page by Baggins on 12-22-2006 at 12:04 AM

It actually would be cool to have a little thing in the profile that shows your scripts, but then they would need to update the script database because there is no actual way to link them(with out the uid).

linking them by name also wouldn't work, people could change their names here, or they may not put in their nick when submitting the script.
They could manually enter script info but that also can cause problems by people entering other script stuff.

So i think that if people want to they can post it in their sig or bio.

RE: Scirpt Makers Page by Dempsey on 12-22-2006 at 12:11 AM

I know MenthiX has said he may be adding it to the Scripts DB, but this is also one of the new features Ive been working on for MPScripts, a page for each script, script dev and svn access to latest code versions etc

RE: Scirpt Makers Page by L. Coyote on 12-22-2006 at 03:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
It actually would be cool to have a little thing in the profile that shows your scripts, but then they would need to update the script database because there is no actual way to link them(with out the uid).

linking them by name also wouldn't work, people could change their names here, or they may not put in their nick when submitting the script.
They could manually enter script info but that also can cause problems by people entering other script stuff.

So i think that if people want to they can post it in their sig or bio.
If MenthiX wants to add some sort of user RSS feed and then WDZ add a parser for the forum user page...

But I really think (manually) linking to the ScriptDB bio page, if it's ever made, should be enough.
RE: Scirpt Makers Page by Fuse on 12-24-2006 at 10:36 AM

me thinks i should have added a poll to see how many people would like the browse by creator.

but still, it something for ment to look into right?