Shoutbox

Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved (/showthread.php?tid=69881)

Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-25-2006 at 01:16 AM

Hey hey all, heres an early Christmas present for all you who are on the 25th of December and an early one for those still on the 24th. I'd like to officially announce the launch of my new skin Ev0.

Ev0 is now officially complete and almost ready to pimp up your desktops, but not yet :)

Ev0 will feature 2 styles: black and white and will then feature 8 sub styles for each style. Basicly its a total of 16 possible colours that you can set up with the new installer ipab has concocted (thanks heaps for that).

2007 will be a major year for the skinning community because alongside the release of Ev0, there will be the launch of a new skinning group that will feature the likes of myself, ipab, stian and many other talented people. Yes guys we are joining forces :P excitement. There will be huge things happening here, but more on that in 2007 :P

And now I leave you guys with the teaser. Rest assured this skin is ready and will launch in 2007 (2007 aint a long way away now anyway :P)

[Image: ev0teaserjj6.th.png]

Merry Christmas All :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by prashker on 12-25-2006 at 01:20 AM

Sexeh, can't wait :D

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Voldemort on 12-25-2006 at 01:23 AM

the blue cloud behind EvO is psychedelic..

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-25-2006 at 01:26 AM

:) yep its amazing the things you can do in illustrator

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-25-2006 at 01:37 AM

I must say, Will worked especially hard on this one.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by vaccination on 12-25-2006 at 08:59 AM

It looks awesome. Can't wait for the release. Good work (Y)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Oxy on 12-25-2006 at 09:01 AM

Wow, that does look awesome. I'll be looking forward to it. Well done :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Hank on 12-25-2006 at 09:07 AM

very nice skin,

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Felu on 12-25-2006 at 09:08 AM

Cool. Waiting for its release ;).

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Nathan on 12-25-2006 at 09:11 AM

Loooooks good,
Can't wait for the release

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by aNILEator on 12-25-2006 at 10:42 AM

can we get a better screen shot? that's pitifully small... :(

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Matti on 12-25-2006 at 11:17 AM

Willz's alive!!! W00T!!! :D

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
[Image: ev0teaserjj6.th.png]
Oh my god! That's hot! :O
quote:
there will be the launch of a new skinning group that will feature the likes of myself, ipab, stian and many other talented people. Yes guys we are joining forces :P excitement.
Oh damn... the best skinners are joining together... :|
* Matti prepares for irresistible, hot, professional skins to take over his Windows Live Messenger.
* Matti fails to prepare. :|

[OFFTOPIC] But what's going on with Windows Aero Messenger? Is it still in progress or did you drop it because of Vista Live Messenger? (need confirmation :P) [/OFFTOPIC]
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Fuse on 12-25-2006 at 11:19 AM

looks different but cool.

but what about the people who dont want huge display pictures next to contacts name :O could this be disableD?

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Zahid™ on 12-25-2006 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
But what's going on with Windows Aero Messenger?
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=19063&st...48629&#entry148629
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-25-2006 at 11:36 AM

Hehe thanks guys i know you all want this and yes the screenshot is a tad small. But I did that on purpose :P only to build up a bit of suspense. Besides youll all have it soon enough :)

And yeh WAM is kinda dead, but only cos stians skin is just too awesome. The things I would have done for WAM are in this skin anyway (feature wise that is).

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Thor on 12-25-2006 at 11:43 AM

Sweeeeeet! :D

Can't wait :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by RaPLeX on 12-25-2006 at 11:48 AM

Looks awesome, i cant wait for it :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Rik on 12-25-2006 at 12:03 PM

Amazing :drool: Can't wait for it

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-30-2006 at 02:26 AM

On another note I am currently looking for people who are willing to mirror Ev0, this is just to ease the pain of hosting the skin just by myself. So anyone who's interested just PM me, MSN me or just post here. Note that this skin will eat bandwidth up initially so yeh be prepared.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Eddie on 12-30-2006 at 02:45 AM

I can throw it on my server :) just gimme a shout ;) oh and it looks cool, cant wait for it, ive seen a few good skins lately :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 04:24 AM

the nature of the installer requires a server that is online constantly, is bandwidth an issue for you?

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Nagamasa on 12-30-2006 at 05:12 AM

I must say, that is pretty nice. Too bad it doesn't fit with my desktop and my carefully chosen colours for my contact lists, which my display picture matches.

I might consider getting it because its really awesome, but I dont know.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by prashker on 12-30-2006 at 05:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
the nature of the installer requires a server that is online constantly, is bandwidth an issue for you?

I can host it on http://ihave.theweener.com :)

Bandwidth is not an issue

(I sent a PM also for SonicSam.net but just realised that the server sonicsam.net is on sucks :p)

But I have no problem hosting on ihave.theweener.com :p
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ShawnZ on 12-30-2006 at 05:27 AM

i can host it on commiepedia.org (until the domain expires, anyway)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by BlitZeR on 12-30-2006 at 05:31 AM

Wohoo cant wait :P (Y) good job

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 05:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

when does it expire?
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ShawnZ on 12-30-2006 at 05:53 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

when does it expire?
Last Updated On:20-Oct-2006 15:35:50 UTC
Expiration Date:02-Aug-2007 22:57:16 UTC
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 06:12 AM

I love you guys. Now I need some input... I have three options for the installer, and I'm starting to feel really worried about all of them.

Option A: I have a "dummy" installer that the user uses to select what skin colour he wants and then the installer downloads the content from one server and the installs it.

Option B: I bundle all the skin colour choices along with the installer and end up with an installer that is about 30 MB.

Option C: The one that I really don't want to do; make a separate installer for each and every skin choice, coming to a nice list of 16 installers :O.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by prashker on 12-30-2006 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Option A: I have a "dummy" installer that the user uses to select what skin colour he wants and then the installer downloads the content from one server and the installs it.

I like this idea :).
quote:
Option B: I bundle all the skin colour choices along with the installer and end up with an installer that is about 30 MB.

I like this one aswell as it seems more convenient, though the filesize may be an issue for someone who has slow internet or just wants a specific colour.

I think you should go with Option A but remember to put a screenshot of each colour in the Dummy File :p Have a "View Screenshot" for every colour that will then load the image from a hosted site :)

Option C is the suck :p

Remember to look into torrent solutions like we talked about on WLM :P
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ShawnZ on 12-30-2006 at 06:36 AM

quote:

why not take all 16 patches, extract all the data that is the same between them, and bundle the installer with 17 (the base patch and 16 supplementary patches) smaller patches?
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 06:42 AM

yeah that's what i have continually done for every installer that I have ever made, I even have special tools that were coded for me by a very special person (TheSteve) for just that job, but I'm talking 30 MB even with the optimization.

Moreover, there are 2 base formats, the white and the black, both do not share anything similar.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by dylan! on 12-30-2006 at 06:45 AM

I vote a but like sonicsam said u need previews of eachs

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ShawnZ on 12-30-2006 at 06:46 AM

if you can save the images with Hue/Sat/Lum bit mapping it'd probably compress better, but i don't know any image formats that support that...

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Chestah on 12-30-2006 at 06:52 AM

Do Both, make A and B.

People who can download larger files / aren't online all the time can get B. People who just one to use one of the 16 skins or can't download large files can use A.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 06:59 AM

not a bad idea chestah, I think i might be saved, after a LOT of searching and testing, I might have come up with a feasible solution. Think Option A but with mirroring. So the files are downloaded with the help of mirrors. I just need people to mirror stuff for me and an oath that they won't move the location of the files as they will be hardcoded into the installer itself.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ShawnZ on 12-30-2006 at 07:01 AM

quote:
not a bad idea chestah, I think i might be saved, after a LOT of searching and testing, I might have come up with a feasible solution. Think Option A but with mirroring. So the files are downloaded with the help of mirrors. I just need people to mirror stuff for me and an oath that they won't move the location of the files as they will be hardcoded into the installer itself.

why not grab mirrors.txt from a trusted server?
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 07:10 AM

yeah but reading the file is another issue...

pm me with your id will ya, perhaps you can aid me.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Thor on 12-30-2006 at 07:53 AM

I wanna host too :(

Well, I can host if you want.

Storage is definetly not a problem, and with 1 TB bandwidth isn't either. :)

mirror.nitrolinken.net

I just need to make the sub-first :P

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-30-2006 at 07:56 AM

We will need 10 mirrors so yeh, we prefer it if the bandwidth isnt an issue. Since this thing will probably require a re-release when 8.1 is finished.

Also on a side note, people that either ipab or myself already know will get first dibs on becoming a mirror :P

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Thor on 12-30-2006 at 08:10 AM

quote:
We will need 10 mirrors so yeh, we prefer it if the bandwidth isnt an issue. Since this thing will probably require a re-release when 8.1 is finished.

Also on a side note, people that either ipab or myself already know will get first dibs on becoming a mirror :P
hehe, I understand that. :)

Well, tell me if if you need a mirror from me. :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by prashker on 12-30-2006 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Also on a side note, people that either ipab or myself already know will get first dibs on becoming a mirror

Hooray.

* prashker hugs ipab :p
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 08:58 AM

@Nitro, added.

I have seen you around here a bit, and I think that we trust you enough to know that you will not mess with the files...

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-30-2006 at 09:47 AM

Also for those that are saying that a screenshot for each colour is needed need not worry because I already have all that stuff ready to go. I will be providing the people who mirror Ev0 with images, this includes two images that display the colours available the black and white style.

So yeh that is not an issue :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Joe on 12-30-2006 at 09:55 AM

seen me? :o

haha, i'll mirror if needed/wanted

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Nathan on 12-30-2006 at 10:17 AM

quote:
@Nitro, added.

I have seen you around here a bit, and I think that we trust you enough to know that you will not mess with the files...
I've got 2 servers that i can host it on and there fast - and one has 2TB and the other had 50TB so im pretty safe :P
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Matti on 12-30-2006 at 11:07 AM

Well, if I would only have a decent server I'd love to host it. But unfortunately my server isn't that good. :P

Why don't you release a MemSkin version of this? MemSkins are lots smaller because they only contain the changed resources and don't need an installer. (or just one to copy it to the right folder 8-)) Well, just ask me on Messenger if you're interested. :)

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Thor on 12-30-2006 at 12:28 PM

quote:
@Nitro, added.

Thanks. :)

Oh, and I had a typo, I have 2,264 TB of bandwidth. :P
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Dempsey on 12-30-2006 at 12:47 PM

If you still need a mirror, give me a shout

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Eljay on 12-30-2006 at 12:55 PM

I can host it too if you want ipab, i never use my hosting so theres plenty of bandwidth going spare :P

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by duck! on 12-30-2006 at 01:21 PM

Wow this skin will make a change to the windows live messenger vista skins :P It also has a nice fresh look to it, plus all of those talented skinners :P will make this skin awesome!

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-30-2006 at 06:17 PM

I love you guys :), Thanks for all the offers... I am finishing up the installer today so whoever is hosting it will get a preview. I will contact you guys.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Nathan on 12-30-2006 at 06:54 PM

I just got another server - 3 servers now xD
So I can host them on all 3 :D

Thanks Cookie for donating <3

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by prashker on 12-30-2006 at 06:58 PM

I'll be switching servers today, 450GB Bandwith a month.

And it will be on my domain SonicSam.net :)

No more slowness :D!

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by RebelSean on 12-30-2006 at 08:08 PM

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it in use on my desktop though :).

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by ipab on 12-31-2006 at 12:36 AM

FYI guys, we are not supporting the 8.1 build as it is still in BETA stages. We are however planning on releasing an update build when 8.1 is released.

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by kao on 12-31-2006 at 12:42 AM

I can always host a mirror, 2488GB bandwidth going almost unused atm :rolleyes:

RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by RebelSean on 12-31-2006 at 08:44 AM

quote:
FYI guys, we are not supporting the 8.1 build as it is still in BETA stages. We are however planning on releasing an update build when 8.1 is released.

Oh snap :tongue:, should've said that in the first post. Quick question though, Vista support?
RE: Ev0 - Windows Live Messenger Evolved by Willz on 12-31-2006 at 08:48 AM

WLM 8.0 runs in vista so thats not an issue, Ev0 works fine on vista :)

and yeah 8.1 isn't being supported, mainly cos its in beta (though i bet MS will probably finalize 8.1 a week after release just to smite me :P)
When 8.1 is final an update will be offered so never fear.