Shoutbox

Reporting Someone? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Reporting Someone? (/showthread.php?tid=69883)

Reporting Someone? by Chris4 on 12-25-2006 at 02:02 AM

I feel I should do something about this because I don't want it going unnoticed. I'll keep it short.

Someone added my little sister (age 12) on WLM. He then started talking to her about his c*** and wanted to know where she lives. She made up somewhere but he continued to go on. I suspected he was a pervert.

So I told my friend, who then added him and pretended to be a 12-year-old girl. My friend said he didn't have any pictures or a webcam. However, the guy went on webcam, naked. He then started playing with himself and ... eww.

Hmm, so.. what do you think I should do?
I don't want to report it because I don't really want my dad finding out and I don't think my sister does either, so we could just leave it at that. Don't really want the police coming round here either or anything like that :-\

I wish I could just report him anonymously or something?

Uhh, I dunno.

RE: Reporting Someone? by markee on 12-25-2006 at 02:07 AM

You could use something like IPGet as a script to get his IP address and then report him to his ISP.  That is the best recommendation I can think of if you want to do things anonymously.

RE: Reporting Someone? by Chris4 on 12-25-2006 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Want to report a crime anonymously?

Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Hmm... :S

...or I could just leave it...
RE: RE: Reporting Someone? by markee on 12-25-2006 at 02:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Want to report a crime anonymously?

Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Hmm... :S

...or I could just leave it...

How many more sisters and daughters does he have to do this to before someone dobs him in?  Don't you think it's your responsibility to do something about it?
RE: Reporting Someone? by Chris4 on 12-25-2006 at 02:30 AM

Hmm, ok. Once I have all the 'evidence' and stuff and my dads out, I'll phone.

RE: Reporting Someone? by NiteMare on 12-25-2006 at 03:47 AM

in canada we have cybertip.ca, other then that, i thinkg crimestoppers is anonymous, atleast in canada ( i think :\)

RE: Reporting Someone? by Omar on 12-25-2006 at 05:59 AM

well... you could take screenies and give them to ddunk for his 'turkish delights' page....

RE: Reporting Someone? by John Anderton on 12-25-2006 at 05:59 AM

Complain to the Cyber Police. They work pretty quick and fast. They'll take some details that you have and work on it.
You really should complain :)

RE: RE: Reporting Someone? by Chris4 on 12-25-2006 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Complain to the Cyber Police. They work pretty quick and fast. They'll take some details that you have and work on it.
You really should complain :)

Erm.. link?
RE: Reporting Someone? by Stigmata on 12-25-2006 at 05:42 PM

https://accountservices.passport.net/gls.srf?urlI...PPN&lc=1033&vv=310

Report them to microsoft ^^

RE: RE: Reporting Someone? by Chris4 on 12-25-2006 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
https://accountservices.passport.net/gls.srf?urlI...PPN&lc=1033&vv=310

Report them to microsoft ^^

Thanks (Y)

Although.. what option do I pick..? :S

I need to know how to do something > Close an account
I need to know how to do something > Report a security issue
I need something fixed > Close Account
RE: Reporting Someone? by M73A on 12-25-2006 at 05:46 PM

please post the outcome, assholes like this deserve to goto hell

RE: Reporting Someone? by L. Coyote on 12-25-2006 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Report a security issue
I think that option fits the best. In either case, they'll tell you if they can handle it or give you some other contact link.

But DON'T LET THIS GO! No matter what. People like this jerk need to be stopped. You know it by experience of having a young sister.
RE: Reporting Someone? by LittleK on 12-26-2006 at 06:40 PM

I say let it go. Block this guy and delete him. Best thing you can do is tell your parents, make sure someone is with your sister when she is using the internet and make it clear she isnt to add anyone she doesnt know. I doubt reporting it would make any difference IMO. At 12 years old someone should really have one of those parent blocks on the computer, untill shes a little older of course. There are weirdos on the internet everywhere unfortunatly, its not like this guy will go to prison, just get a ticking off and go somewhere else. Let it go and watch your sister more carefully in the future, as one goes another one comes. Internet hey?

RE: Reporting Someone? by ShawnZ on 12-26-2006 at 06:51 PM

give the email to ddunk, obviously

RE: Reporting Someone? by NiteMare on 12-26-2006 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
I doubt reporting it would make any difference IMO
last time i check, any explotation, or manipulation, of a minor (which this has fallen under in previous court cases) is agenst the law and is a jailable offence
RE: Reporting Someone? by Sunshine on 12-26-2006 at 07:07 PM

If you are using WLM 8.1 go to Help > Report Abuse
This will lead you to the WLMessenger Abuse Page.

RE: Reporting Someone? by Voldemort on 12-26-2006 at 07:09 PM

quote:
I say let it go. Block this guy and delete him. Best thing you can do is tell your parents, make sure someone is with your sister when she is using the internet and make it clear she isnt to add anyone she doesnt know. I doubt reporting it would make any difference IMO. At 12 years old someone should really have one of those parent blocks on the computer, untill shes a little older of course. There are weirdos on the internet everywhere unfortunatly, its not like this guy will go to prison, just get a ticking off and go somewhere else. Let it go and watch your sister more carefully in the future, as one goes another one comes. Internet hey?
That's exactly why the world is so fucked up...

You can:
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
give the email to ddunk, obviously
then you can report him...

RE: Reporting Someone? by NiteMare on 12-26-2006 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
thats the best option i think
RE: Reporting Someone? by prashker on 12-26-2006 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
please post the outcome, assholes like this deserve to goto hell

Yeah, I'd like to know how it ends aswell.
RE: Reporting Someone? by LittleK on 12-28-2006 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
last time i check, any explotation, or manipulation, of a minor (which this has fallen under in previous court cases) is agenst the law and is a jailable offence

If thats the case on the internet (I think its based on where in the world you are, im not sure?) and you want to take it further, then do. Im not saying don't, Im just saying is it worth the hassle your sister will be put through for it to all end with him getting off with community service? Im not saying b*stards like this should get away with it, im just trying to suggest the easiest solution.
RE: Reporting Someone? by Steven on 12-28-2006 at 11:37 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare

If thats the case on the internet (I think its based on where in the world you are, im not sure?) and you want to take it further, then do. Im not saying don't, Im just saying is it worth the hassle your sister will be put through for it to all end with him getting off with community service? Im not saying b*stards like this should get away with it, im just trying to suggest the easiest solution.

What if it is not only his sister? What if this guy keeps doing it to other people, and eventually he will find his victim, and then.. ill leave whats after that to your imagination. And then for the rest of your life you will think "wow, i could've saved that girl" Trust me, you would know who it is if it was on the news... anyways if you saw the guys face maybe you would recognize him.. take the risk and go on cam with him...

RE: RE: Reporting Someone? by CookieRevised on 12-29-2006 at 08:31 AM

Hmm, just reading this thread...

quote:
I doubt reporting it would make any difference IMO.
It makes a big difference.

There is a very good chance he is doing this to other people too. If you don't report anything, nobody will ever find out and he can keep on doing it.

Also, reporting such stuff to MS can sure make a difference. Remember that the MSN chatrooms were closed by MS exactly because of such abuses. And that MS is activly involved in finding ways to make such things safer, think about the Child hotmail accounts which are available, the Parental Tools, and also the (not yet widely used) Electronical ID Pass so you are sure whom you talking to in chatrooms, etc...

----------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Funny, how it took until now for someone to give the proper instructions. Instructions which are right in front of you in the menu. Doesn't anybody look into menus anymore? :/
RE: Reporting Someone? by markee on 12-29-2006 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Doesn't anybody look into menus anymore? :/
Not since messenger can hide the menus and they have a lot of the functionality in buttons (and with mess patch I even have an 'options' button).  The only thing that I go into the menus for is to bring up the script debugging window, I guess it is a shortfall that the messenger people should look at.  It would be very useful to have a button in the chat window that was along the lines of "report this person" as it would be a constant reminder that it is there and it would be easier to use as well.

Btw, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that they can make a difference and that something should be done about this.
RE: Reporting Someone? by CookieRevised on 12-29-2006 at 10:23 AM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Not since messenger can hide the menus
still no reason though...

The menus are still available, and one should still make it a habit to browse them from time to time (especially when you install a new version).

In general, there are a lot of questions on this forum that would never have been asked if the person in question simply browsed the menus and options though...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=770420]

[/OFF TOPIC]
RE: Reporting Someone? by joey on 01-07-2007 at 11:07 AM

u should tell your sister that shes not the only one that its ever happened to and re-assure her, after all she could be really afraid now