Shoutbox

Microsoft Word problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Word problems (/showthread.php?tid=69998)

Microsoft Word problems by qgroessl on 12-28-2006 at 04:21 PM

So I've had this problem for about a month or two now... My Microsoft Word is being really stupid. Everytime I go to open it I have to do so through start-programs-etc... and it says it needs to install every time... and since about amonth ago it didn't need to do that. But okay, it does that then it works just fine...

Another thing is that I need to open word first to open documents... whenever I try to open something through recent documents or my documents... I get an error message...

quote:
Originally posted by error message
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.GROESSL\My Documents\activity sheet.doc is not a valid Win32 application.
... the only thing I can do is hit okay...

So if anybody can help me with either of these problems... It would be greatly appreciated!

Oh.. and it's Word 2002
RE: Microsoft Word problems by Ezra on 12-28-2006 at 04:27 PM

did you try to reinstall the entire Office packet?

Seems like something fuxored the registry entires and stuff from word.

RE: Microsoft Word problems by qgroessl on 12-28-2006 at 04:31 PM

Well... I was going to... but I don't think I have the disks for it... which is a bit of a problem...

RE: Microsoft Word problems by Ptoye on 12-28-2006 at 04:32 PM

I've had the same sort of problems....When i go to open any of the Office program i get a box saying, please wait while windows gathers requierd info,or summit like that :S.  If i click cancel it then does open it with no problems but it's still anoying.

RE: Microsoft Word problems by qgroessl on 12-28-2006 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
If i click cancel it then does open it with no problems but it's still anoying
The ones at my school do that too... just like that... but the one here at home if I hit cancel word never opens.
RE: Microsoft Word problems by Ezra on 12-28-2006 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI

Well... I was going to... but I don't think I have the disks for it... which is

If you don't have a valid Office License or CD's I can recommend Open Office, a free Office pack which supports reading and creating word documents.
RE: Microsoft Word problems by qgroessl on 12-28-2006 at 04:40 PM

Pretty sure we have a valid license... we either lost the disks or when we got the computer never recieved them.

I'm trying to repair again...  This time I did it with the option out of word's help part... Last time I tried through add/remove programs.

RE: RE: Microsoft Word problems by Ptoye on 12-28-2006 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
quote:
Originally posted by UTI

Well... I was going to... but I don't think I have the disks for it... which is

If you don't have a valid Office License or CD's I can recommend Open Office, a free Office pack which supports reading and creating word documents.

Yeh you should be able to get them from download.com

They atually not bad for being free!

i agree with Ezra, I reccomend them to you :D
RE: Microsoft Word problems by Thor on 12-28-2006 at 04:52 PM

I would recommend 2007, but posting a link about that would be against the rules... 8-)

2007 really works well, I had 2002 :P I hated it .. :zippy:

RE: Microsoft Word problems by qgroessl on 12-28-2006 at 04:52 PM

One question before I download this... Will I be able to use the .doc documents in it?... Or will I have to convert all of my word files to something else?

Posting a link would be against the rules... but not in a private message ;)

RE: RE: Microsoft Word problems by Fuse on 12-28-2006 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
One question before I download this... Will I be able to use the .doc documents in it?... Or will I have to convert all of my word files to something else?

Posting a link would be against the rules... but not in a private message ;)

i think they use .doc format to (Y)
RE: Microsoft Word problems by andrewdodd13 on 12-28-2006 at 10:28 PM

Yeah, Openoffice (OO) can handle .doc files. I've seen this problem with XP (as in, office xp, that's what Word 2002 is part of) before. Basically, a file's been corrupted or what-not from your installation, and the installer is trying to copy it from the CD. Except, since it's broken (not your fault), it doesn't ask you for the CD or even mention it needs it.

If you had the CDs, running the installer from there and choosing "Repair" would most likely solve the problem.

For a while back, I had the 60 day trial of Office 2003. I liked it. Especially since putting the clock back in the BIOS at every boot meant you could reset the 60 day thing :). (Then I got a proper license for about £20)

RE: Microsoft Word problems by Supersonicdarky on 12-28-2006 at 10:45 PM

fyi: office 2007 > previous versions and it uses .docx format (but can import and save as .doc). I dont know if openoffice supports it tho...