Shoutbox

Virus' In Scripts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Virus' In Scripts (/showthread.php?tid=70047)

Virus' In Scripts by Galaxy105 on 12-29-2006 at 09:58 PM

If I download a script from the msgplus website is there a chance of me getting a virus or other problem on my laptop? Please help...thanks =]

RE: Virus' In Scripts by Ezra on 12-29-2006 at 10:01 PM

All the scripts in the scripts database should be safe, but only install scripts from the forums if you know it's safe.

RE: Virus' In Scripts by Galaxy105 on 12-29-2006 at 10:03 PM

RE: Virus' In Scripts by MattyRid on 12-29-2006 at 10:15 PM

If the script has an auto-updater, that could be what's being picked up as a virus, as it happened to me, yet the script was perfectly safe. So just be a bit cautious in regards to that.

RE: RE: Virus' In Scripts by Val on 12-29-2006 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
If the script has an auto-updater, that could be what's being picked up as a virus, as it happened to me, yet the script was perfectly safe. So just be a bit cautious in regards to that.

I don't think that is it. You probably got it from somewhere else. All scripts are looked at before being put up on the scripts database. And besides who her even wants to spread malware/adware around?
RE: Virus' In Scripts by MattyRid on 12-29-2006 at 10:29 PM

Happened to me with this script http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64993  And since then after the script was updated I haven't had a problem

RE: Virus' In Scripts by Menthix on 12-29-2006 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
If the script has an auto-updater, that could be what's being picked up as a virus, as it happened to me, yet the script was perfectly safe.
Some scripts will cause a false warning from some virusscanners indeed. Most of the time this is caused because the script is accessing the internet, for example to do an auto-update, but it can be for other things too.

See "My virus scanner says the script is suspicious?" on the bottom of the scripts help page.
RE: Virus' In Scripts by Wally on 12-30-2006 at 08:09 AM

are there any scripts that actually have a virus? is there a way of detecting such scripts especially the ones on the forum 

RE: Virus' In Scripts by Thor on 12-30-2006 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wally lebo rambo
are there any scripts that actually have a virus? is there a way of detecting such scripts especially the ones on the forum
If there are scripts with viruses here, your anti-virus software will detect it and remove it. If you have a script blocker, that is.

And probably the thread will quickly be removed from the forum I guess.
RE: RE: Virus' In Scripts by Wally on 12-30-2006 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:
If there are scripts with viruses here, your anti-virus software will detect it and remove it. If you have a script blocker, that is.

but there are scripts that cause false warning as MenthiX said how would you know if its a warning or not ?:P
RE: Virus' In Scripts by MattyRid on 12-30-2006 at 08:22 AM

because all scripts are tested before being allowed anywhere...did you not read that earlier in this thread?

RE: Virus' In Scripts by Wally on 12-30-2006 at 08:27 AM

yes but thats just in the Script Database not in the forum!

RE: RE: Virus' In Scripts by MattyRid on 12-30-2006 at 08:33 AM

quote:
yes but thats just in the Script Database not in the forum!

but think about it, if a script was really a virus (and I mean an actual virus not a false one), others here will be requesting to the admins or supermods that it be removed and never seen again. And if they see if other action may be taken...just think a bit before asking a question and put yourself in every situation you can think of first before asking a question...that is unless of course you have already tried that but failed to see other points of view.
RE: Virus' In Scripts by Wally on 12-30-2006 at 08:36 AM

yeah i guess your right thanks for the advise ;)