Shoutbox

computer building - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: computer building (/showthread.php?tid=70056)

computer building by Th3rmal on 12-30-2006 at 07:21 AM

i would like to know if anyone knows where i can get a really cheap computer that i can experiment with (as in build myself) in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I would also appreciate it if people could give me tips or websites that show beginners how to build pc's.

thx 4 ur help.

RE: computer building by Wally on 12-30-2006 at 07:39 AM

:) IT warehouse is a good place to get cheap computers and you can order the parts separately and build your computer to the way you want it depends were in Melbourne you live i guess

RE: computer building by ryxdp on 12-30-2006 at 08:47 AM

Fluidtek IT, although it's not in Melbourne (Sydney) it's very cheap. :)

you can find their site here.

RE: computer building by ddunk on 12-30-2006 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
Fluidtek IT, although it's not in Melbourne (Sydney) it's very cheap. :)

you can find their site here.
Have you actually ever purchased anything from them? That looks like one of the dodgiest sites I've ever seen.
RE: computer building by Wally on 12-30-2006 at 08:57 AM

its not even in Melbourne

RE: computer building by MattyRid on 12-30-2006 at 09:28 AM

Good Lord, even though MSY Technology may have a crappy site, their prices are fairly cheap and are of good quality. It's a shame that you don't have Computer Fairs down in Melbourne as they have such good stuff that is really cheap.

Just as a word of advise that I tend to use with great effect, search for cheap prices and even try and get the prices down lower if you can, everything is about competing and some places are willing to go lower provided you tell them.

RE: computer building by surfichris on 12-30-2006 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ddunk

Have you actually ever purchased anything from them? That looks like one of the dodgiest sites I've ever seen.
I have! I have!

Have also bought from MSY (http://www.msy.com.au).

Just so you're aware, MSY have 3 stores in Victoria.

Anyway - your best place for a cheap computer (if not one of them - I believe Fluidtek had some cheap $200 old AMD systems at one stage) is eBay, The Trading Post, or maybe even the Overclockers Australia Forums (http://www.overclockers.com.au) where sellers usually sell their old stuff really cheap just to get rid of it.
RE: RE: computer building by ryxdp on 01-04-2007 at 05:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ddunk

looks can be deceiving...;)

If it was dodgy, McAffee SiteAdvisor would show up as red...8-)
RE: computer building by ddunk on 01-04-2007 at 05:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
looks can be deceiving...;)

If it was dodgy, McAffee SiteAdvisor would show up as red...8-)
Off topic, but please don't tell me you religiously trust things like that to tell you what sites to visit. If so, you should leave right now.
RE: computer building by ryxdp on 01-04-2007 at 07:38 AM

Well, having tried the sponsor myself...|-)

I can tell what's spyware and what's some teenager's idea of a prank...

RE: computer building by Th3rmal on 01-05-2007 at 02:18 AM

thx to everyone for your help. i recently found an old computer downstairs which i am going to have a look at (even its missing stuff like its HD....). i will also try to go to pc stores and ask if they have anything. keep the suggestions coming :D