Shoutbox

[split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? (/showthread.php?tid=70152)

RE: How can i go on 2 accounts at once by nod32 on 01-01-2007 at 03:51 PM

Some patchs from other websites are 'dodgy' some are virus's.

RE: RE: How can i go on 2 accounts at once by Supersonicdarky on 01-01-2007 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nod32
Some patchs from other websites are 'dodgy' some are virus's.

example?

none of the popular patches are virii/dodgy...
RE: How can i go on 2 accounts at once by nod32 on 01-01-2007 at 04:21 PM

Well i got one and it f***** up  my pc.

Who ever made this title it is an anti virus lol

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by L. Coyote on 01-02-2007 at 01:12 AM

I actually can't decide which anti-virus to use.

All the free ones seem to be crappy and filled with false positives. ClanWin is not "on-access", so it's almost like not having an anti-virus...

RE: RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Jesus on 01-02-2007 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
I actually can't decide which anti-virus to use.

All the free ones seem to be crappy and filled with false positives. ClanWin is not "on-access", so it's almost like not having an anti-virus...

I use AVG free.
AFAIK I never had any false positives and it also has an on-access scanner (Resident Shield).
I never had any problems nor complaints. Just install and you're all set. ;)
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Chris4 on 01-02-2007 at 01:18 AM

AVG Anti-virus is very good for me and I strongly recommend it (Y)

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by L. Coyote on 01-02-2007 at 01:19 AM

I used that one. I couldn't install the sponsor from Plus! because of that. :-/ Kept calling it a trojan and scaring my mom all the time. :P

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Wally on 01-02-2007 at 01:23 AM

McAfee antivirus is really good i strongly recommend that AVG is also good.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by wally lebo rambo
please dont take this to affence but i think you should read the forum rules again
quote:
Originally posted by rules
Languages: All posts should be written in the English language. If you post in a different language, you must provide an English translation. This rule does not apply to the Translation forum.
:P jk

:P (Y)

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by NiteMare on 01-02-2007 at 01:28 AM

quote:
McAfee antivirus
oh god, no, you install that you will neve completly remove it from your computer, unless you format, and if you try to call for tech support, you'll spend $100+ USD just for them to tell you its not there problem

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Nathan on 01-02-2007 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
McAfee antivirus
oh god, no, you install that you will neve completly remove it from your computer, unless you format, and if you try to call for tech support, you'll spend $100+ USD just for them to tell you its not there problem
He has a point there :)

I unistalled it on my mates pc and i had to do a system restore to fully get rid of it
RE: RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Wally on 01-02-2007 at 01:41 AM

quote:
quote:
McAfee antivirus

Nightmare you can just download the McAfee removal tool it takes every single McAfee product from you computer even from the registry.

Uninstalling using McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

Note: This tool only works for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 operating systems. This tool does not work for Windows 98 and ME systems.

1. Download the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust...t_patches/MCPR.exe.
   2. Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.
   3. Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.
   4. Double-click MCPR.exe.
   5. Click Run. A Command Line window will be displayed, and then close automatically. Wait for a second Command Line window to be displayed. (Do not double-click MCPR.exe again.) The program will begin the cleanup.
   6. Observe the installation, which could take several minutes. The following message will be displayed in the Command Line window:

The machine must reboot to complete the un-installation. Reboot now? [y.n]

7. Press Y on the keyboard.
   8. Wait for the computer to restart.

All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by NiteMare on 01-02-2007 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Nightmare you can just download the McAfee removal tool it takes every single McAfee product from you computer even from the registry.
not always true...i work in tech support, 9/10 times if people have installed mcafee, its not working, or they've uninstalled using add/remove programs, and its left everything behind, i've suggested people try that, and they still have problems.

my opinion stands, mcafee is horrable
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Wally on 01-02-2007 at 02:00 AM

well its always worked for me but i respect your opinion (Y) in the future i hope this tool helps EDIT: people :P

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by WDZ on 01-02-2007 at 03:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
ClamWin is not "on-access", so it's almost like not having an anti-virus...
Pfft... on-access scanning isn't that necessary unless you're a n00b... just manually scan any file or folder that you're suspicious of. :p Some programs that receive files can even be configured to run your AV program automatically.
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by L. Coyote on 01-02-2007 at 03:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Pfft... on-access scanning isn't that necessary unless you're a n00b...
*cough*My mom*cough*

I actually had to format her laptop a few weeks ago, because she installed something that kept clogging the memory. I did all sorts of scans, searched for adware, there was nothing obvious.

Maybe I could simply let her get scared by AVG. *-)
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by WDZ on 01-02-2007 at 04:00 AM

Oh, yeah, on-access scanning is good for computers used by other people... :p

I've used AVG on a few PCs and it's not bad. It's probably the most popular free anti-virus program... *-)

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Wally on 01-02-2007 at 04:08 AM

Agreed i used to use AVG its not bad. not bad at all but i thought McAfee was the most popular, well down here it is :P

100th post YAY!

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by L. Coyote on 01-02-2007 at 04:12 AM

quote:
quote:
i thought McAfee was the most popular
ITS MCSHIT
I have to agree with that.

Besides, most commercial anti-virus seem to suck on the RAM like crazy. :-/
RE: RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Wally on 01-02-2007 at 04:15 AM

quote:
quote:
i thought McAfee was the most popular
ITS MCSHIT

i don't agree i haven't had one problem with McAfee it works just fine for me :dodgy:
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Dane on 01-02-2007 at 04:38 AM

Well, as I play with viruses, specifically new ones a LOT, heres something to consider.

The most recent AIM virus I reported to the AntiVirus companies took a LONG time for it to get added to the definitions, however, this is the order of the companies that responded the fastest.

1. Trend Micro (Response Time: 6 Days)
2. Symantec (Response Time: 10 days)
3. McAfee (Response Time: 45 days)

Trend Micro responded the fastest, deploying a definition for myself in their response email as well as in public definitions the very same day.

Symantec responded second fastest, deploying a Beta Virus Definition Package to myself the same day, and protection for the rest of the users with in two days.

McAfee responded the slowest, taking 45 days from my initial submission, 3 Resubmissions after initial submission, 14 customer service calls, about 10 emails...McAfee generally is first, I dont know why this particular virus rendered so many problems.  Beta Definition Package was deployed in their email, it caused a critical error in windows (thus, the risk of using Beta Definitions).  General (and SAFE/FIXED) definition was deployed four days later.

I do not submit to the other companies that manufacture AVG, F-Secure, NOD32, etc. as Symantec, McAfee, and Trend Micro have the highest market share among general computer users.

I will probably switch back to Symantec Norton or Trend Micro next year, McAfee has not impressed me much at all.  The most annoying thing is when it rechecks your subscription status every 2-4 days.  Hmm...if its set to expire in 2007, lets check again closer to that date in 2007...or when a user updates perhaps?  Symantec products confirm subscriptions during updating.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Wally on 01-02-2007 at 04:58 AM

i don't really like the McAfee 2007 it really didn't work out for me thats why I'm sticking with 2006 it really  has fixed everything iv en counted  and iv tried alot of anti viruses example Symetec ,AVG, Norton,Avast, bit defender..... i dunno McAfee has just worked the best for me ... offcoures this just my opinion

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by EBFL on 01-02-2007 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
quote:
quote:
McAfee antivirus
He has a point there :)

I unistalled it on my mates pc and i had to do a system restore to fully get rid of it
:dodgy: when i had it and tried to uninstall it, and then tried to system restore it wouldnt do it so i had to pay £30 for a man to come and remove it.
I now use AVG
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Oxy on 01-02-2007 at 11:51 AM

Avast! antivirus ftw.

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Rik on 01-02-2007 at 12:07 PM

Used McAfee... and had to format :dodgy:
Now use AVG free but on January 15 gonna change to Kaspersky Anti-virus :P

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Tochjo on 01-02-2007 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rik
You do know that it is still possible to use AVG Free after January 15th, right? You just have to update to version 7.5 ;)
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Fuse on 01-02-2007 at 07:10 PM

i use norton anti virus and i have norton internet security but i dont use it cos: it stops me from viewing web pages and if i try and use the patch it wont let me [have the wrong setiings or something].

but i highly reccomend norton.

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Rik on 01-04-2007 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Originally posted by Rik
You do know that it is still possible to use AVG Free after January 15th, right? You just have to update to version 7.5 ;)
lol, really?
* Rik checks website :o
sorry
but still, i'm thinking on giving it a try :P
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by Voldemort on 01-04-2007 at 07:36 PM

nubs.

RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus? by asairel on 01-05-2007 at 01:48 PM

i have nod32 given to me by a friend from greece, i still doesnt encounter any problem at all with it, but sumtimes i think that this is the reason y i am having trouble logging on in msn..? but i dont think so either.. it all started wen i used that messmsn.be... grrrr >.<