Shoutbox

IP address conflict problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: IP address conflict problem (/showthread.php?tid=70209)

IP address conflict problem by nite_roxbury on 01-02-2007 at 07:19 PM

[Image: 3tw7.png]

Hello,

I have this ip address conflict problem with my wireless network at home. I'm using linksys router WRT54GS type. Currently 8 people sharing 1 router.

My configurations are:
Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Security mode: WPA personal
WPA algorithms: TKIP

I keep on getting this message, even when using cable direct from router to pc.
I thought such problems could only occur with static ip configuration. Would appreciate if anyone could help, thank you.

RE: IP address conflict problem by Fuse on 01-02-2007 at 07:23 PM

try and uninstalling all the computers to your modem and then reinstalling. [making sure you have diffeent settings]

RE: IP address conflict problem by Adeptus on 01-02-2007 at 07:28 PM

The most likely explanation is that one of the other 8 people has set up a static address on his computer, but wasn't smart enough to choose an address outside the DHCP range.  DHCP server would then be unaware the address is in use and would keep assigning it.

Check the settings of all other computers.

RE: IP address conflict problem by Voldemort on 01-02-2007 at 07:59 PM

Couldnt he just change his local ip to a static one?

RE: IP address conflict problem by Adeptus on 01-02-2007 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Couldnt he just change his local ip to a static one?
Sure, he could -- but he shouldn't. 

Assuming my analysis is correct and some of the other 8 people also use DHCP, if nite_roxbury were to "fix" it as you suggest, somebody else would soon start having the same problem.
RE: IP address conflict problem by linx05 on 01-03-2007 at 08:45 AM

I had this problem before. It was very annoying. Just make every ones local IP static. It fixes it and it helps when you port forward apps like utorrent.

RE: IP address conflict problem by joemailey on 01-03-2007 at 09:08 AM

Give yourself a static IP address above x.x.x.200

Generally most routers give you an ip address of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and so on really not hitting above 200 address.

RE: IP address conflict problem by Snake on 01-03-2007 at 11:52 PM

I had the same problem, but with a D-Link router. My router over heated. I recommend unplugging it and plugging it back in (rebooting) and then check to make sure there is no conflict.

RE: IP address conflict problem by Ezra on 01-04-2007 at 12:00 AM

Did he actually fix his problem by now?

And Indeed I recommend finding the computer that now uses a Static IP and change that to a DHCP ip or set the IP of that computer above the DHCP range, don't change anything about the current computer.

RE: IP address conflict problem by linx05 on 01-04-2007 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Snake
I had the same problem, but with a D-Link router. My router over heated. I recommend unplugging it and plugging it back in (rebooting) and then check to make sure there is no conflict.
That will also change the local IP address. It's not a fix but it will do for one session.
RE: RE: IP address conflict problem by Snake on 01-04-2007 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
quote:
Originally posted by Snake
That will also change the local IP address. It's not a fix but it will do for one session.

Absolutely right. You may also want to set the IP addresses to static on the router. But leave the computers on DHCP so the router handles the IP's