Shoutbox

Temp Membership - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Temp Membership (/showthread.php?tid=70339)

Temp Membership by Fuse on 01-05-2007 at 06:54 PM

Maybe the site should make a temp membership for people who need help but wont be back here after the problem is solved.

and i relise there might be a problem with spaming but this way the server can clear some members that dont use the site.

what do you guys think?

RE: Temp Membership by vaccination on 01-05-2007 at 06:59 PM

I can't see the point, I'm pretty sure there is enough space on the servers for the unused accounts.

It's a lot( ? ) of work for no real benefit.

RE: RE: Temp Membership by Fuse on 01-05-2007 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
I can't see the point, I'm pretty sure there is enough space on the servers for the unused accounts.

yeah but why would you want unused accounts?
RE: Temp Membership by Ezra on 01-05-2007 at 07:08 PM

Why do you care anyway?

It's not your hdd/db space, you're not a admin...

If the admins wanted it they would have done it, but they didn't, probably cause it will just make spamming more easily.

RE: RE: Temp Membership by Fuse on 01-05-2007 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Why do you care anyway?

It's not your hdd/db space, you're not a admin...

i dont.. just a suggestion :o

RE: Temp Membership by vaccination on 01-05-2007 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fuse
yeah but why would you want unused accounts?

See this thread.

Accounts aren't deleted. Get over it.
RE: Temp Membership by Menthix on 01-05-2007 at 07:17 PM

quote:
why would you want unused accounts?
For example, to preserve their old posts so we can link to it when other people have the same question. Otherwise you will end up the same questions over and over again way more than happens now.
RE: Temp Membership by WDZ on 01-05-2007 at 07:22 PM

Occasionally I prune old accounts that have zero posts and have been inactive for a long time. It's not a big deal though. :p

RE: RE: Temp Membership by Fuse on 01-05-2007 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

Accounts aren't deleted. Get over it.

over it ;)
RE: Temp Membership by NiteMare on 01-05-2007 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Occasionally I prune old accounts that have zero posts and have been inactive for a long time. It's not a big deal though. :p
well there are over 20,000 accounts with 0 posts... howmeny of those could be active?
RE: Temp Membership by GiantSpider on 01-05-2007 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Occasionally
O'm sure he has more pressing things to do. Did you ever get round to updating this board WDZ?
RE: Temp Membership by WDZ on 01-05-2007 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
well there are over 20,000 accounts with 0 posts... howmeny of those could be active?
I haven't done any serious user pruning since sometime in 2005... :p

After a quick look in the database, I think I could delete about 12500 accounts. I should do that soon... [Image: mininana.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
O'm sure he has more pressing things to do. Did you ever get round to updating this board WDZ?
I'm sure you'd notice if I did. :P
RE: Temp Membership by GiantSpider on 01-05-2007 at 10:02 PM

I noticed you took the version number from the footer. What is this on, BETA 4? RC 1/2?

RE: Temp Membership by WDZ on 01-05-2007 at 10:06 PM

[offtopic] It's still RC2 [/offtopic]

RE: Temp Membership by Dane on 01-09-2007 at 06:15 AM

Just a sidenote...Can we not be rude to Fuse over a simple suggestion?  A lot of the posts in this thread seem to have a colder nature to them because you disagree with him.  If you cant express yourself without coming off as a bitch, then dont bother posting.

Personally, I think this is a good idea if WDZ wanted to implement it...for all new accounts by default with the option to "Upgrade" the account to a permenant one.  It would keep the extra's to a minimum.

RE: Temp Membership by John Anderton on 01-09-2007 at 09:35 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
People could come in after 6-8 months... Doesn't mean that you delete their accounts :P
RE: Temp Membership by Nagamasa on 01-09-2007 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
People could come in after 6-8 months... Doesn't mean that you delete their accounts :P

Or maybe if WDZ can (and wants to) have an extra set of user titles and stars for all newcomers to have 5 posts before moving on to 'New Members'. >5 posts can be named 'Temporary Member' and they will expire in half a year if they do not make five posts.

And if someone actually wants to join the community, he/she/it can already easily post 5 posts (picture, introduction, monthly desktops, etc.) in an hour.
RE: Temp Membership by Rolando on 01-09-2007 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Just a sidenote...Can we not be rude to Fuse over a simple suggestion?  A lot of the posts in this thread seem to have a colder nature to them because you disagree with him.  If you cant express yourself without coming off as a bitch, then dont bother posting.

Personally, I think this is a good idea if WDZ wanted to implement it...for all new accounts by default with the option to "Upgrade" the account to a permenant one.  It would keep the extra's to a minimum.

I kindof agree. But if this is done, they should make it really clear so people that are 'new' or dont know much about the site will not get their accounts deleted (if they wanted to stay) because they forgot to 'upgrade'

On the other hand, it is good as it is and temp. accounts may cause some problems.

RE: Temp Membership by Dr4g0n on 01-09-2007 at 08:07 PM

I figured that when it was pointed out by MenthiX that they would be kept to preserve the user's posts and this was confirmed by WDZ this would end.. But apparently not.

RE: Temp Membership by Fuse on 01-09-2007 at 09:18 PM

thanks for standing up for me :P
and i still think it's a good idea but if WDZ/Menthix have spken i guess it's the end. but to menthix: maybe you could keep the important posts by temp members up and just strike there name out or something.

RE: Temp Membership by Nagamasa on 01-09-2007 at 10:24 PM

quote:
temp members up and just strike there name out or something.

I'm not sure where in the forum I saw this, but I saw something like this:

Not Joined
RE: Temp Membership by WDZ on 01-09-2007 at 10:41 PM

When an account is deleted, any posts will remain. They just won't have an account associated with them anymore.

Why are you people trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist? :P Unused accounts are not a problem.

RE: Temp Membership by Mike on 01-09-2007 at 10:59 PM

bugmenot :P

RE: Temp Membership by WDZ on 01-15-2007 at 03:12 AM

User pruning complete.

I just deleted 10175 members... :wave:

They were all people who have never posted, and haven't been active since mid-2005.

RE: Temp Membership by Voldemort on 01-15-2007 at 03:26 AM

congrats! haha, no longer wandering that much user pages :P

RE: Temp Membership by Eddie on 01-15-2007 at 03:28 AM

Holy Hell thats alot of inactive members :| Nice Job :/

RE: Temp Membership by Flaming Rob on 01-15-2007 at 07:24 AM

What is the point in these people joining and just never coming on.

RE: Temp Membership by Hank on 01-15-2007 at 07:39 AM

Offtopic

so when is the date/schedule of the Mybb Update going to take place?if i recall you said around late december ( last year ) r u waiting for Mybb1.2.3? 

RE: Temp Membership by WDZ on 01-15-2007 at 08:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
Offtopic

so when is the date/schedule of the Mybb Update going to take place?if i recall you said around late december ( last year ) r u waiting for Mybb1.2.3?
Nope, I'm not waiting for anything right now... I'm just not making progress as fast as I thought I would. I don't have any kind of schedule... sorry.
RE: Temp Membership by John Anderton on 01-15-2007 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
sure where in the forum I saw this, but I saw somet
Its called a script 8-) He didn't actually manually do that you know :dodgy:

WDZ: We're on RC1 right?
I've noticed the same people asking the same question in multiple threads.. "when will we upgrade?" I don't see what's wrong with the current board system? The admins are quite active and work on the forum whenever needed. Bugs are tackled immediately and modifications are made as and when needed. I don't really see why people need to keep asking WDZ when we will upgrade to the latest MyBB versions.. I just find it dodgy that people keep asking the same question over and over again every few weeks.
RE: Temp Membership by wj on 01-15-2007 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
sure where in the forum I saw this, but I saw somet
Its called a script 8-) He didn't actually manually do that you know :dodgy:

WDZ: We're on RC1 right?
I've noticed the same people asking the same question in multiple threads.. "when will we upgrade?" I don't see what's wrong with the current board system? The admins are quite active and work on the forum whenever needed. Bugs are tackled immediately and modifications are made as and when needed. I don't really see why people need to keep asking WDZ when we will upgrade to the latest MyBB versions.. I just find it dodgy that people keep asking the same question over and over again every few weeks.

People want the latest and greatest. We're not in any hurry, 1.2 has some nice features and I think thats why alot of people are anxious to get into it. We'll get there when we get there.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
bugmenot :P

We do ban bugmenot accounts and They dont take registrations for msghelp.net.

"This site has been barred from the bugmenot system for the following reason:
Community site (guests can still view)"

RE: Temp Membership by Hank on 01-15-2007 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Nope, I'm not waiting for anything right now... I'm just not making progress as fast as I thought I would. I don't have any kind of schedule... sorry.

okz, fair enuff answer ,
RE: Temp Membership by Nagamasa on 01-15-2007 at 12:54 PM

Perhaps we should make a schedule when the next pruning will be?

RE: Temp Membership by foaly on 01-15-2007 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
perhaps we should shut up and let the mods+admins do what they want with unused accounts...
RE: Temp Membership by wj on 01-15-2007 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

There is no reason everyone needs to know when we will do maintenance tasks like pruning and such.

Just chill guys, Sit back, relax, and enjoy the forums. Let us worry about all the miscellaneous tasks that need to happen in the background. We've been doing it for a few years now and we know what we're doing.