Shoutbox

Utorrent Help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Utorrent Help (/showthread.php?tid=70376)

Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-06-2007 at 01:40 PM

i usually download at 300-400kb/s, but something wierd is going on with my utorrent and i can never get over 200kb/s. In the bottom right of utorrent i usually have the green tick [which means my ports are open and working well] but now i have red '!' which means my ports are not open. i made another post about how to open my ports and i opened them and it doesnt seem to help..maybe it's something in utorrent.. help?

[Image: utorrent114vz4.th.jpg]

RE: Utorrent Help by Mike on 01-06-2007 at 01:48 PM

The download speed you get on torrents (not only uTorrent) don't depend only on your internet download speed, but they also depend on your seeders upload speed, the number of leechers (more leechers usually means slower download because they are leeching from the seeders, but leechers also seed, which means that leechers help you too) and your upload speed.
Why do I say upload speed?
Because, torrents are something like "the more you give, the more you get". (correct me if I'm wrong)
If you are limiting your upload speed, try disabling the limit or raising the limit, and see if this improves your download speed.

RE: RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-06-2007 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
The download speed you get on torrents (not only uTorrent) don't depend only on your internet download speed, but they also depend on your seeders upload speed, the number of leechers (more leechers usually means slower download because they are leeching from the seeders, but leechers also seed, which means that leechers help you too) and your upload speed.
Why do I say upload speed?
Because, torrents are something like "the more you give, the more you get". (correct me if I'm wrong)
If you are limiting your upload speed, try disabling the limit or raising the limit, and see if this improves your download speed.

i have unlimited upload and download. and im sure it's not my internet cos i just did a speed test:

Your current bandwidth reading is:

4.16 Mbps

which means you can download at 532.81 KB/sec. from our servers.

==

RE: Utorrent Help by GiantSpider on 01-06-2007 at 02:05 PM

The more of that file you upload, the faster you can download. Why not just change the port again.

Edit: Re-size the image please.

RE: RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-06-2007 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
The more of that file you upload, the faster you can download. Why not just change the port again.

Edit: Re-size the image please.

ive tried like 40 completly random ports + all the one though 6881 = 6889 but they all come up with red :(

oh and pictured resized ;)
RE: Utorrent Help by GiantSpider on 01-06-2007 at 02:17 PM

Try this. It's for teh Azureus client, but the principle's should be the same.

RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 05:46 PM

still not working, every single port is not open according to utorrent :(:(

RE: Utorrent Help by ShawnZ on 01-07-2007 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Try this. It's for teh Azureus client, but the principle's should be the same.

you don't need to port forward with uTorrent. (unless you're using vista, are you using vista?)
RE: Utorrent Help by absorbation on 01-07-2007 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fuse
still not working, every single port is not open according to utorrent :(:(

I don't think Windows will allow you. Ever since SP2 Windows XP only lets you to connect to 10 ip addresses at one given time. Of cause this setting can be changed.

Have you started to use a new firewall or something?
RE: Utorrent Help by Ezra on 01-07-2007 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you don't need to port forward with uTorrent. (unless you're using vista, are you using vista?)

You need to port forward even with XP, depends if you are using UPnP or not.

Are you sure you forwarded the port correctly on your router and you opened it in your firewall?
RE: Utorrent Help by Voldemort on 01-07-2007 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Ever since SP2 Windows XP only lets you to connect to 10 ip addresses at one given time
utorrent changes it.
RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 06:54 PM

im not using vista and my UPnP thing has never ever worked. and no i havent got a new firewall, i havent installed anything new, i did change the upload setting but i changed them straight back. ive even uninstalled [deleted regitry files aswell] and reinstalled..still saying my ports are all wrong

:(?

RE: Utorrent Help by Voldemort on 01-07-2007 at 06:55 PM

Check that opening connections in windows firewall is enabled...

RE: Utorrent Help by Ezra on 01-07-2007 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Ever since SP2 Windows XP only lets you to connect to 10 ip addresses at one given time
utorrent changes it.
Wrong, utorrent doesn't change the connection limit, it does however open the ports in the windows firewall if you want it to.

quote:
Originally posted by Fuse
im not using vista and my UPnP thing has never ever worked. and no i havent got a new firewall, i havent installed anything new, i did change the upload setting but i changed them straight back. ive even uninstalled [deleted regitry files aswell] and reinstalled..still saying my ports are all wrong
:(?

Did you forward that port correctly on your router?

RE: Utorrent Help by ShawnZ on 01-07-2007 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
utorrent changes it.

thanks for quoting that post, bto. that just makes it easier for me to point out how both of them are completely inaccurate.
RE: RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

Did you forward that port correctly on your router?

my router says it has ports 6881 to 6889 open for utorrent.

[Image: screenutorrentxv9.jpg]

^^ my router settings for utorrent
RE: Utorrent Help by Menthix on 01-07-2007 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Ever since SP2 Windows XP only lets you to connect to 10 ip addresses at one given time.
You can be connected to 10 IPs at once just fine, i believe the famous SP2 change had to do at which rate/speed you can open new connections. I've always been torrenting and downloading at SP2 in various clients, never had to change that Windows setting to get good speeds. Either clients change it for you, or it just doesn't affect things as much as misinformed "news" sites want you to believe.
RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 07:30 PM

message i get when i try and use port opened especally for utorrent.

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 6881 on 86.138.***.151...

Error! Port 6881 does not appear to be open.

RE: Utorrent Help by Ezra on 01-07-2007 at 07:33 PM

I don't think you forwarded it correctly, try setting a new port in the 45000 to 65000 range and point it to your local ip.

RE: Utorrent Help by ShawnZ on 01-07-2007 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Ever since SP2 Windows XP only lets you to connect to 10 ip addresses at one given time.
You can be connected to 10 IPs at once just fine, i believe the famous SP2 change had to do at which rate/speed you can open new connections. I've always been torrenting and downloading at SP2 in various clients, never had to change that Windows setting to get good speeds. Either clients change it for you, or it just doesn't affect things as much as misinformed "news" sites want you to believe.

no, its just that you can only have a maximum of 10 "connecting" connections.
RE: Utorrent Help by WDZ on 01-07-2007 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
You can be connected to 10 IPs at once just fine, i believe the famous SP2 change had to do at which rate/speed you can open new connections.
Yeah, SP2 limits the number of half-open connections.

quote:
Either clients change it for you, or ...
I doubt any reputable client would change it, as it requires patching TCPIP.SYS... :^)
RE: RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't think you forwarded it correctly, try setting a new port in the 45000 to 65000 range and point it to your local ip.

ok ive changed it
and:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 45001 on 86.138.109.151...

Error! Port 45001 does not appear to be open.

[Image: untitledgn6.jpg]

did i do something wrong?

this is what my utorrent logger says:

[19:56:35]  UPnP: Discovered new device: http://192.168.1.***:80/upnp/control/igd/wanpppcInternet
[19:56:38]  UPnP: ERROR 501 mapping port 45001 -> 192.168.1.64:45001
[19:56:44]  Error opening Windows firewall: 0x80040154
[19:56:49]  Unable to map UPnP Port.

RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 08:35 PM

dammit i cant even get over 20kb/s :(

thanks dazzy [ i tried your setting but it didnt make a difference]

:( here is ascreenshot of my utorrent settings : should i change them?

[Image: untitledxn8.jpg]

RE: Utorrent Help by Ezra on 01-07-2007 at 09:56 PM

Looks like you set up a trigger there, you should set a normal port forward. So try to normally port forward that port and set utorrent not to use UPnP and not to open the Windows firewall as you are not using it.

RE: Utorrent Help by Fuse on 01-09-2007 at 04:15 PM

it's seemed to fix itself, going back to my normal rates [300-400kb/s] now. the green tick has appeared again which was the problem.

so..solved!

thanks to everyone who helped :D

RE: Utorrent Help by YottabyteWizard on 01-10-2007 at 09:57 PM

weird... but well, have fun :)