Shoutbox

.ICOs in DLLs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: .ICOs in DLLs (/showthread.php?tid=70406)

.ICOs in DLLs by ryxdp on 01-07-2007 at 03:10 AM

Hey,

I've been wondering how you put .ico files in DLLs, such as shell32. Ive tried thwacking them in the resources folder (VB 2005 Express) and debugging it, but when I open "TestFolder1"s properties and change the folder icon it says "There are no icon files in testicon.dll"

It's been bugging me because I want to add resources to a program, but the only way I see possible is to shove them in the actual program itself.

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by deAd on 01-07-2007 at 03:16 AM

You should be able to add them as resources, but I don't think that's possible in the Express edition.

EDIT: You may be able to add them with a program like Resource Hacker.

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by ryxdp on 01-07-2007 at 05:39 AM

Resource Hacker worked. :cheesy:

btw, I just finished deleting everything except the icons and bitmaps in a shell32 copied to desktop, for use in special apps of mine. Also, I can't seem to find the icon for the restart button. I've scoured shell32 (where I think it is most likely) but I can't find it. :undecided:

I might make a program that lets you shutdown/green/restart/etc. without the (slight :S) hassle of clicking the start button...

But you don't care about that :^)

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by RaceProUK on 01-07-2007 at 01:25 PM

Why are you using s tripped version of shell32? Why not just load the resources direct from the real shell32?
As for adding your own resources, it is possible in the Express Edition, but I don't know exactly how to do it in VB. I know how in VC++ though.

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by ryxdp on 01-07-2007 at 09:17 PM

I'm not using a tripped version...I just copied the original shell32 to my desktop and worked on that one instead :cheesy:

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by RaceProUK on 01-10-2007 at 09:30 PM

So, why are you working with a copy? You won't be able to distribute the program that way.

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by ryxdp on 01-10-2007 at 11:15 PM

basically it's just a resource centre for any programs that need to use bitmaps/icons from shell32. I haven't figured out how to use the original shell32, and I don't care anyway :S

RE: .ICOs in DLLs by CookieRevised on 01-11-2007 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
basically it's just a resource centre for any programs that need to use bitmaps/icons from shell32. I haven't figured out how to use the original shell32, and I don't care anyway
Exactly the same as you use your copy... Hence, RaceProUK's comments ;)
RE: .ICOs in DLLs by RaceProUK on 01-12-2007 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
I haven't figured out how to use the original shell32
LoadModule("shell32.dll");
You get a module handle you then use with resource loading functions.