Shoutbox

Anorexia - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Anorexia (/showthread.php?tid=70419)

Anorexia by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 11:58 AM

Why do you think people do it?
Do you/anyone you know anyone have anorexia?

EDIT: I found this website, about someone who thinks anorexia is right, she lists her reasons.

Anorexia (Reasons)

Caution site has some wierd material..not suitable for some.

RE: Anorexia by azn angel on 01-07-2007 at 12:07 PM

I have anORExia (learn to spell..).....

well actually i lie. i nearly do but i dont diet. although im quite happy with my weight.

"My imperfect body reflects my imperfect soul"
uhh... lack of weight causes imperfections with the body..

RE: Anorexia by markee on 01-07-2007 at 12:29 PM

I just get to lazy to get up off the couch and find something to eat.  Does that count?

btw, I'm not really thin or anything.  i had a lot of.... excess nutrients when i was younger and I'm still getting rid of it

RE: Anorexia by M73A on 01-07-2007 at 12:33 PM

if anyone has seen ugly betty that thought to be the cause of it... the whole editing of photos, people striving for perfection etc etc...

RE: Anorexia by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 12:51 PM

mmm .. it might the media but then again i have friends who just look at pictures in vogue and forget about (like water off a duck's back) but i think it depends on a person, if they are insecure enough to compare themsleves to kate moss or other models..

RE: Anorexia by Vimto on 01-07-2007 at 01:30 PM

The media have a big influence especially on young girls, they see digital modifications of models and think that is what guys like and what they should look like. But from my experience boys and men don't like really skinny girls and women.

[Image: anorexia41.jpg] +o(

I have alot of friends whom, when they look in the mirror, they lift their shirts/tops w/e and complain for ages about how fat they are, even when they have a fine figure.
I'm the only one out of my friends who don't complain :\ I eat loadz and loadz but I do quite alot excersise and simple stuff to keep toned. I do alot of boxersise. But its not just as simple as excersising to a person suffering from anorexia as it's a state of mind. I don't care about putting on weight and personally I think really skinny people look pathetic. There heads are always too big for their body.

I think its a real shame that this happens to people :sad:

RE: Anorexia by asairel on 01-07-2007 at 01:36 PM

anorexia is one of a mental sickness.. yeah i really dont find skinny girls so appealing either... like jennifer love hewitt..

people who  has this kind of illness are insecures and dont have any contentment in their selves.. its not healthy anyway... and its not a good way to keep ur body "sexy Oo" yeah its pathetic.. seeing people pulling out wat they eat are disgusting.. :/

RE: Anorexia by Vimto on 01-07-2007 at 01:41 PM

Jennifer Love Hewitt not really skinny. She has a great figure now

[Image: ghost_whisperer_jennifer_love_hewitt_2.jpg]

RE: RE: Anorexia by asairel on 01-07-2007 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Vimto.
Jennifer Love Hewitt not really skinny. She has a great figure now

[Image: ghost_whisperer_jennifer_love_hewitt_2.jpg]

oh thats good for her then, before she was so skinny and still thinking of doing heavy diets.. i really dont like the way she look in the movie "if only" though its really a nice picture
RE: RE: Anorexia by Wally on 01-07-2007 at 03:50 PM

quote:

Good god that is a women right ? i really do feel sorry for anorexic peaple but i guess it is a mentality thing
RE: Anorexia by absorbation on 01-07-2007 at 03:55 PM

The disease is a mental problem. You can have it at any weight. It is when you believe your overweight, and your ambition is to lose more and more. It becomes hard for these people to eat, because they begin to feel bad for eating.

It's a viscous circle really. When they eat, they feel bad, and begin to stave themselves again.

RE: Anorexia by albert on 01-07-2007 at 05:08 PM

I personally find it quite sad..

This issue brings so much inconfidence to girls of different ages, making their life truly horrible.

People sometime neglect or simply don't think through the different effects that this has on other aspects of that girl's life.

(I'm only talking about girls because I've never met any guy suffering from the same disease.. Yet the same thing might apply.)

RE: Anorexia by Fuse on 01-07-2007 at 06:57 PM

yeah it is really bad, i once saw a documentry and it was about this girl who had to eat special food because her internal organs couldnt take normal food (cos of her anorexia).

her reason for doing it was because she was bullied as a child about her weight, making her a loner = making anorexic

RE: Anorexia by FrozenDaggers on 01-07-2007 at 07:11 PM

It's such a horrible thing to have. The media doesn't help, flashing images around of skinny celebs, models and what-not.

Every day you hear a girl go "I'm so fat" or "I'm going on a diet", even the ones that have bodies to die for.

I think every girl worries about these sort of issues though - there's so much pressure to become skinny, beautiful or whatever. But everyone should feel happy in their own skin.

RE: RE: Anorexia by WDZ on 01-07-2007 at 07:43 PM

quote:
That picture is photoshopped. She doesn't look quite so emaciated in the original. :p

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/models.asp
RE: Anorexia by saralk on 01-07-2007 at 07:54 PM

I'm underweight, not anorexic (BMI 17.9) and I am that way because I hate the process of eating. I just find it gross, so I don't eat that much.

RE: Anorexia by ShawnZ on 01-07-2007 at 07:59 PM

saral is weird:<

RE: Anorexia by Menthix on 01-07-2007 at 08:01 PM

What do you find gross about eating? :o

RE: Anorexia by foaly on 01-07-2007 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I'm underweight, not anorexic (BMI 17.9) and I am that way because I hate the process of eating. I just find it gross, so I don't eat that much.
if you are a 17 year old male a BMI between 16.8 and 24.8 is considered healthy...   
RE: Anorexia by Thor on 01-07-2007 at 08:10 PM

I'm about in the middle, I'm not fat, and not skinny. I'd say I'm where you should be. :P

I eat when I should. And if there's a problem, I figure it instead of eating. :)

RE: Anorexia by vaccination on 01-07-2007 at 08:16 PM

I'm probably too thin. but not anorexic.

I don't like how there's is all this pressure on girls to be really skinny and what not, i mean, i don't want my girlfriend to break in two when i hug her. =/

Stupid media as well. Girls should be happy the way they are, yeah it's fine to go 'oo i've put on a bit of weight i might work that off' but not to go 'shit i'm two fat i weigh 5 stone :O:O:O:O'  (I know you can't help it if your anorexic.)

annoys me when girls complain about being fat when they're not too. ¬¬

RE: Anorexia by saralk on 01-07-2007 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
quote:
if you are a 17 year old male a BMI between 16.8 and 24.8 is considered healthy...

I was going by this http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

Everything about it.
The fact that your mouth is just a really long hole with your anus at the end.
Think about what your body is doing when it is eating, in your mouth, you're turning some food into a pulp, then you it is just going down a tube where acid is chucked on to it and it eventually turns into poo.
Gross.

I also, hate eating with other people, everyone makes weird slurping noises and chews loudly, and spits food when they talk, and it just looks disgusting on your plate.
RE: Anorexia by Voldemort on 01-07-2007 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
I'm not fat, and not skinny
same.
I have a bmi thingo of 22, and im not near fat.
RE: Anorexia by MX-G on 01-07-2007 at 09:40 PM

all the reasons all right :<, i had anorexia a year ago

RE: Anorexia by foaly on 01-07-2007 at 09:53 PM

quote:
I was going by this http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
I'm going by this:
http://games.voedingscentrum.nl/body_mass_index/body_mass.html
and "het voedingscentrum" is honest about food...
or at least that is what they brainwash you to believe...
RE: Anorexia by Chocolatino on 01-07-2007 at 10:30 PM

quote:

I also, hate eating with other people, everyone makes weird slurping noises and chews loudly, and spits food when they talk, and it just looks disgusting on your plate.

Same here eating with people is not my thing either.

RE: RE: Anorexia by FrozenDaggers on 01-07-2007 at 11:33 PM

quote:

That's just people having no manners. :\
RE: Anorexia by Weyzza on 01-08-2007 at 04:26 AM

quote:
If you find it disgusting, try to have some dishes together with Chinese people.
They use their chopsticks to pick the food you share together, put it into their mouths with the same chopsticks, eat some rice, pick the food again with the same chopsticks, and so on.
I bet you'll stop eating forever :p

I know you can avoid this most of the times, but you can't in some cases.
Oh, btw, it's not about manners. It's the way they eat :p
RE: Anorexia by Rolando on 01-08-2007 at 04:41 AM

I was anorexic for a week? I didn't eat at all for a week.. but not because I was fat, I'm skinny, I just wanted to see how long I could go without eating and only drinking water.

RE: Anorexia by azn angel on 01-08-2007 at 04:52 AM

im too lazy to eat and when im eating i dont really like to because i could be doing other things. there is a lot of shit in current media about how skinny chicks arent attractive and also how everyone is so over weight. i think the whole skinny is good thing is going out but being fat is just as bad. not because of the way you look (and its not that nice) but because its bad for your health. shows like the biggest loser shouldnt need to exist.

RE: Anorexia by asairel on 01-08-2007 at 05:21 AM

that is a bad thinking azn... other people always find something to eat at least for a day and you get lazy just because you think there you can do other things instead of eating? Oo i think you need a week in those starving country so you'll see that the way you were thinking about eating is a "waste" of time is very wrong...

p.s

gluttony is not counted :p

RE: Anorexia by John Anderton on 01-08-2007 at 05:00 PM

I'm not really anorexic but I've never gained weight despite numerous attempts over the years. I am in the "safe zone" quite easily but I'm still not as "heavy" as I'd want to be (so to say).
Sometimes I gain some weight but in a year or so I lose it again. I guess I can blame my busy schedule and running habits.
Over all I'm not really happy but then again I don't have any problems either.

RE: Anorexia by Fuse on 01-08-2007 at 07:32 PM

Emaciated    = Under 15 BMI
Anorexic      = Under 17.5 BMI
Underweight = Under 19 BMI
Normal         = 19 - 24 BMI
Overweight   = 25 - 29 BMI
Obese           = +29 BMI

what i got of the anroxeic site on my first post. not sure it's right, im 18.5BMI and i seem to be jsut about right.

RE: RE: Anorexia by Aeryn on 01-08-2007 at 07:49 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Everything about it.
The fact that your mouth is just a really long hole with your anus at the end.
Think about what your body is doing when it is eating, in your mouth, you're turning some food into a pulp, then you it is just going down a tube where acid is chucked on to it and it eventually turns into poo.
Gross.

O_O Exactly! I've been starting to have these exact same thoughts lately. Eating is a pretty disturbing activity indeed.

And I've always been normal-weight or rather a bit skinny, but that's just how I am, I haven't suffered from anorexia.
RE: Anorexia by John Anderton on 01-09-2007 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
O_O Exactly! I've been starting to have these exact same thoughts lately. Eating is a pretty disturbing activity indeed.

And I've always been normal-weight or rather a bit skinny, but that's just how I am, I haven't suffered from anorexia.
wtf at the first part (:dodgy:) and exactly like me for the second part (:)).
RE: Anorexia by Fuse on 01-11-2007 at 04:19 PM

i dont eat breakfast or lunch but i eat dinner and i have like fruits through out the day :P

RE: Anorexia by absorbation on 01-11-2007 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fuse
Emaciated    = Under 15 BMI
Anorexic      = Under 17.5 BMI
Underweight = Under 19 BMI
Normal         = 19 - 24 BMI
Overweight   = 25 - 29 BMI
Obese           = +29 BMI

what i got of the anroxeic site on my first post. not sure it's right, im 18.5BMI and i seem to be jsut about right.

Totally wrong. Anorexia is a metal disease, it cannot be any way based on your weight.
RE: Anorexia by markee on 01-11-2007 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

Totally wrong. Anorexia is a metal disease, it cannot be any way based on your weight.
Exactly, a morbidly obese person can have anorexia, but just not have any physical signs.
RE: RE: Anorexia by Fuse on 01-11-2007 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

Exactly, a morbidly obese person can have anorexia, but just not have any physical signs.

like i said i got it off the site on my first post.. the whole site seems to be wrong, saying that anorexia is right etc.
RE: Anorexia by pidgywidgy on 10-30-2008 at 10:26 PM

hi,

i've just stumbled upon this site. i think you guys have some misconceptions about what anorexia is.

firstly, to be medically classified as anorexic... you do have to have a bmi of less than 17.5, and there are other criterion; for example your periods stop etc. someone who doesn't show all these symptoms would not be medically classed as anorexic, they'd be EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified).

Anorexia doesn't really affect fat people. 9 times out of 10, they've searched the web for diets etc, joined a pro-ana site (which promotes an anorexic lifestyle), stopped eating for a week.. and call themselves anorexic. it's most likely that these people are bulimic. this doesn't mean that they make themselves sick, but will binge eat and then over compensate by restricting food. anyone who is anorexic doesn't binge eat and struggle to stay away from food, they struggle to eat food. it's a fear of food, and a fear of eating. someone suffering from anorexia would most likely have to force themselves to eat, rather than use will power to stay away from food. a lot of times on pro-ana sites you'll hear girls saying things like 'i totally ruined my fast today. i ate 2 slices of chocolate cake' etc... these girls aren't anorexic.

anorexia doesn't come from deep down insecurities. and it's not true that people struggling with anorexia have no contentment in their lives. it's a desire for perfection.

RE: Anorexia by failed_butterfly on 01-25-2009 at 12:41 PM

its good your all clued up on anorexia and bulima NOT!

one person said they were anorexic for a week, no you wernt love, just cause you didnt eat for a week does not make you anorexic! as for the bmi chart having a bmi of under 17.5 doesnt mean your anorexic,  your periods have to of stopped for atleast 3 months before they make a proper diagnoses,

i have suffered from anorexia and bulimia for 15 years now, and im on my way back down, its not all to do with whats in the media, theres alot of things that helps with the development of the desease, i.e depression, childhood theeres so many aspects, and people with the desease dont want your pity!

it just makes me angry when people say stupid things like i fasted for a week so now im anorexic or people coming onto some forums who want to know how to become anorexic, if i could turn back time to when i was 15, i would find another way to cope with the problems i had because now i have alot more problems which include my health! this is not fun, attractive its a living hell

x

RE: Anorexia by zipeater on 01-25-2009 at 01:48 PM

ummmm........is that anorsexya you're talking about?

Actually, I had a friend who got anorexia at school some time ago. She eats like a pig, but never get fat nor she is exercising. After a while, my girl friend told me that the female restroom reeks of vomit after she (the anorexian) used it. She unfortunately didn't make it today.

quote:
May your soul founds a good place among the stars, my friend, let our tears and prayers adorn your way...

RE: Anorexia by Rolando on 01-25-2009 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zipeater
ummmm........is that anorsexya you're talking about?

Actually, I had a friend who got anorexia at school some time ago. She eats like a pig, but never get fat nor she is exercising. After a while, my girl friend told me that the female restroom reeks of vomit after she (the anorexian) used it. She unfortunately didn't make it today.

That's bulimia, not anorexia.
RE: Anorexia by hoggers2000 on 10-15-2009 at 11:38 PM

I was randomly searching and came onto this site

i'm a 5ft 11 teenage girl with a weight of around 8 st
my bmi is 16.4 ish
that is in no way anorexic
i dont even look that thin
i'm a healthy size 6/8, got healthy teeth and all. I havent had my period since january ish, but i see that as a plus:L

i just fancied checking if that seemed healthy to you lot, who seem to know more than me about this
and i do eat alot
i spend all day eating and am currently eating a couple rounds bread and cereal.

btw that picture of the anorexic model was so thin it is unreal
her real picture actually looks healthy

RE: Anorexia by toddy on 10-16-2009 at 12:22 AM

i think i can safetly speak for all people on here and say "we don't know (and most people won't care), go speak to a doctor"

RE: Anorexia by djdannyp on 10-16-2009 at 09:27 AM

Actually, your BMI is 15.65 and you are classed as 'Underweight'  you need to put on a couple of stone according to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_w...perial_index.shtml

'Food for thought' ;)

RE: Anorexia by Adeptus on 10-16-2009 at 11:05 AM

Anorexia is stupid.  Good food is one of the last remaining pleasures in life that our pussified society has not yet made illegal.  You already can't have any good drugs and most good sex -- just STFU and have your leg of lamb.  Preferably here.  Leave starving to Ethiopia.

RE: Anorexia by Th3rmal on 10-17-2009 at 04:49 AM

I dont know if this is really that on topic, but calculating your BMI through a site that asks for your weight/height is really rather stupid.

Consider a bodybuilder, who is say 110kg but around 185cm, he would be considered obese, when in fact he is extremely healthy, with probably body fat percentages in the healthy range of ~5-15% (iirc thats the healthy range). Thats why I reckon internet BMI calculators and stuff is not in any way accurate. This is just one example, but I think youd get the point im trying to get across.

RE: Anorexia by Menthix on 10-17-2009 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
calculating your BMI through a site that asks for your weight/height is really rather stupid
quote:
internet BMI calculators and stuff is not in any way accurate
Internet or the way they calculate is not the problem, BMI itself is flawed like that.

RE: Anorexia by foaly on 10-17-2009 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Consider a bodybuilder, who is say 110kg but around 185cm, he would be considered obese, when in fact he is extremely healthy

No, bodybuilders are not extremely healthy, just look at them...
That can't be healty...
RE: Anorexia by Th3rmal on 10-17-2009 at 01:28 PM

quote:
quote:
Consider a bodybuilder, who is say 110kg but around 185cm, he would be considered obese, when in fact he is extremely healthy

That can't be healty...
Natural bodybuilders are very healthy, and you cant say no to taht.

I know that pro bodybuilders use steroids, and thats obviously not healthy, but those who compete naturally are at the peak of their fitness levels.
RE: Anorexia by djdannyp on 10-17-2009 at 05:49 PM

True, it's a flawed method.....a far better example than body builders is professional rugby players, or american footballers.

There's always exceptions, but for your average joe, a weight to height ratio is a fairly good indicator of your health with regards to your size

RE: Anorexia by vaccination on 10-17-2009 at 06:57 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

That can't be healty...
Natural bodybuilders are very healthy, and you cant say no to taht.

I know that pro bodybuilders use steroids, and thats obviously not healthy, but those who compete naturally are at the peak of their fitness levels.
There's nothing natural/healthy about overworking your muscles to excess. Being healthy != being muscle-y.
RE: RE: Anorexia by hoggers2000 on 10-18-2009 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Actually, your BMI is 15.65 and you are classed as 'Underweight'  you need to put on a couple of stone according to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_w...perial_index.shtml

'Food for thought' ;)

I look healthy though, i'm not a stick insect but neither am i a mr blobby look alike.. i believe that some of the problems may be that too many girls actually have access to bmi calculators, and thus society now has another way in which to obsess over weight...

i'm happy the way i am, i eat enough, if not too much :L:L , to have an ample and happy life. and to the persn beneath you who posted, food is a great point to life, and sadacts should just accept their natural body frames instead of forcing on others. tall people should naturally have larger bone structures:D
and vice versa