Shoutbox

Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... (/showthread.php?tid=70462)

Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Eddie on 01-08-2007 at 05:37 AM

Hello everybody, i just found out that my HDD's are at 48 and 46 *C and the max is 52 *C :| What can i do to cool it down? help please :(

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by markee on 01-08-2007 at 05:43 AM

Get some decent water cooling that also cools your HDD would be the best option.  Apart from that you can also try for a temporary fix to take your case off and get a fan on your PC (it's what we usually do over Summer because we're too lazy to get some decent cooling for our CPU [Image: xso_tongue.gif])

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Kenji on 01-08-2007 at 05:45 AM

48oC is nothing, my HDD's average at about 50 oC. and i leave my PC on all the time.

Just do what markee said if youre worried.

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Eddie on 01-08-2007 at 05:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Get some decent water cooling that also cools your HDD would be the best option.  Apart from that you can also try for a temporary fix to take your case off and get a fan on your PC (it's what we usually do over Summer because we're too lazy to get some decent cooling for our CPU [Image: xso_tongue.gif])
hmm yeah i did that when my fan stopped working when i first got the PC, guess i should do it again to just help out a little bit :) and yeah aussie summer is hot so very good idea:P...
quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
48oC is nothing, my HDD's average at about 50 oC. and i leave my PC on all the time.

Just do what markee said if your worried.
well it seems a little to close to me :P its like 4 degrees till it over heats :\ and yes i will do what markee said :) thanks.

EDIT: All good at 40 + 41*C now :)
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ShawnZ on 01-08-2007 at 06:14 AM

lol, hard drives don't overheat at 52C...

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Woraug on 01-08-2007 at 06:19 AM

My HD usually stays at around 49c as long as I keep the fans clean.  If you're really worried about overheating, and you have a case without a door on the front, just get one of those HD fans that fit into one of the 5.5" slots.

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ins4ne on 01-08-2007 at 06:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
into one of the 5.5" slots
5.25" ;)
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Eddie on 01-08-2007 at 06:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
lol, hard drives don't overheat at 52C...
i quote from HDDLife: "Max Temp: 52*C" *-)
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by kao on 01-08-2007 at 06:30 AM

[Image: Spire-HDD-Cooler-Victim-hdd.jpg]

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ShawnZ on 01-08-2007 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
quote:
5.25" ;)

3.5" ;)
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ins4ne on 01-08-2007 at 06:45 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
5.25" ;)

3.5" ;)
Uhm yeah right :S. The 5.25" are the front panels... But the thing from kao's pic isn't that good. I wanted to buy one and I read some reps from buyers about it. They said it works well some days (with luck some weeks), then the first fan stops working and some days later the second. And it was exactly the one from the pic :(.
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ShawnZ on 01-08-2007 at 06:54 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
5.25" ;)

3.5" ;)
Uhm yeah right :S. The 5.25" are the front panels... But the thing from kao's pic isn't that good. I wanted to buy one and I read some reps from buyers about it. They said it works well some days (with luck some weeks), then the first fan stops working and some days later the second. And it was exactly the one from the pic :(.

5.25 are for CD/DVD drives, 3.5 is for hard drives.
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ins4ne on 01-08-2007 at 06:56 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
5.25" ;)

3.5" ;)

5.25 are for CD/DVD drives, 3.5 is for hard drives.
That's what I meant. The thingies in the front where you put CD/DVD thingies in -.- . Now get back on topic.
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by kao on 01-08-2007 at 06:59 AM

quote:
But the thing from kao's pic isn't that good. I wanted to buy one and I read some reps from buyers about it. They said it works well some days (with luck some weeks), then the first fan stops working and some days later the second. And it was exactly the one from the pic (Smilie).
You could say that about almost anything, there are lots of reviews like that about every peice of hardware. I don't use one but it is something to try if he is worried about the temps of his HDD =p
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ins4ne on 01-08-2007 at 07:02 AM

You're right. It's worth a try. But the other way with the CPU fan is less expensive and works better IMO.

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by kao on 01-08-2007 at 07:12 AM

Those  HDD coolers are less than £5 And I think you mean case fan not CPU fan?

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by ins4ne on 01-08-2007 at 07:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
case fan not CPU fan?
I once took a case fan as CPU fan because it was bigger and more powerful so a fan is a fan ;). Take a 120mm one and put it onto your HDD, finished. Heating problem solved. Put 120mm fans everywhere. They look great xD. With blue leds :drool:...
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Woraug on 01-08-2007 at 07:15 AM

I was refering to getting something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835150008

I used one (not the same one) in my old machine for years.  The only reason I don't use it now, is because this case has a door.

RE: RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by CookieRevised on 01-08-2007 at 07:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Hello everybody, i just found out that my HDD's are at 48 and 46 *C and the max is 52 *C :| What can i do to cool it down? help please :(
As said before, 46-48°C is not ot at all and quite normal (in fact, it is a relative low temperature seeing that many HDD reach 50°C with normal usage)

quote:
But the thing from kao's pic isn't that good. I wanted to buy one and I read some reps from buyers about it. They said it works well some days (with luck some weeks), then the first fan stops working and some days later the second. And it was exactly the one from the pic :(.
Many brands have those, and I have never had problems with them at all. One of mine still runs extremely well, even in a dusty environment.

quote:
You're right. It's worth a try. But the other way with the CPU fan is less expensive and works better IMO.

It doesn't work as good as those special fans for HDDs.
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Eddie on 01-08-2007 at 07:53 AM

Thanks Cookie, it seems the SEAGATE HDD that came with my computer has a max 52*C before it shuts down, which is weird but yeah :S

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Adeptus on 01-08-2007 at 04:51 PM

High 40s is (depending on the drive type) quite toasty.  Over time, it may shorten the life of your drive.

Ideally,  your case would provide adequate ventilation for the hard drives, preferably a case fan near them.  You probably don't want to buy a new case just for that, but keep that in mind for the next time you have to choose one.

If you have more than one hard drive, avoid installing them stacked directly on top of each other in the 3.5" bays.  In other words, try to not do this:

[Image: hdmountnobut.jpg]

The setup in that particular picture is not the worst, as the drive cage seems to leave some space between the drives, for air flow.  In some cheap cases, there is often none and that is a recipe for a thermal drive failure.

If your case has locations for case fans, either in front or the rear, which do not have a fan installed, start by getting some case fans.  When it comes to drive coolers, the design I prefer is something like this:

[Image: image.phtml?id=0209809&sku=338020]

The problem with all drive coolers is that the small fans in them are loud and don't last that long, but if that's what it takes, something like the above is best -- because it blows outside air on the drive and actually helps reduce temperatures inside the case, instead of trying to cool the drive with already warm case air and heating that up some more.

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by M73A on 01-08-2007 at 05:21 PM

mines at 36 :)

cpu 41, system 29

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Sunshine on 01-08-2007 at 05:34 PM

I had to deal with the same problem a while back (somewhere halfway dec last year). I constantly had problems with the second HDD not beeing recognised (and later on both disks not recognised at times). When i installed a little program to monitor the HDD's temperature i noticed these were constantly around 48% celcius and gettin over 50/52 if used intensively for a little while.

First thing i tried was one of em frontbay fans, the white one shown in Adeptus's post (it has two little fans). It didn't get it down enough. Then i went and put a HD cooler on (under) both harddisks..the cheap blue thingies shown in Kao's post (could be another brand, but that's what they look like). That did the trick and the temp of my HDDs now stays between 28-35 degrees celcius.

So, if anything...get them blue HD cooler(s) on ;)

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by kao on 01-08-2007 at 06:14 PM

just having a fan infront/behind the HDD cage works just as well as having the coolers under the HDDs tbh, I have three drives all in the same cage enxt to eachother and the middle one sits at 36ºc and hits 38ºc very rarely, I just have a fan behind them at the back of the case (exhaust) which seems to do the trick without taking up extra room using those HDD coolers.

Just get a good case with good cooling or splash out a few quid for some HDD coolers and you will have no problems :grin:

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Dr4g0n on 01-08-2007 at 07:31 PM

My case is designed so that the front fan is situated directly in front of the Hard drive cage. This way mine are getting constant cool air. =]

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by vaccination on 01-08-2007 at 08:01 PM

My case has a hidden slot in front of my HDD for a fan.

* vaccination will be installing one soon.

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Voldemort on 01-08-2007 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As said before, 46-48°C is not ot at all and quite normal (in fact, it is a relative low temperature seeing that many HDD reach 50°C with normal usage)

my hdd in this laptop is at 33*C with normal usage <3
edit:
i guess i shall stfu then and research a bit :P

edit:
after researching a bit google's result seem to agree that 33 is a cool temp, and the cpu being at 50-53 is good, and relatively cool.
RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by CookieRevised on 01-08-2007 at 08:54 PM

laptop hardware is different in that aspect.

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Nathan on 01-08-2007 at 09:59 PM

Mine is 49*C - HDD
And my CPU is at 49*C - It's usally at 60*C and when I'm playing a game it gets it gets up too 70*C

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Snake on 01-08-2007 at 10:23 PM

Well I do something similar to this. 1000mm  :P

RE: Hard Drive SO Close to Overheating... by Woraug on 01-09-2007 at 02:48 AM

I had to do that with my old machine for a while.  It was overclocked, and I didn't know it (It was my dads) so it had a bad overheating problem.  So I took off the side panel, put a 30" box fan up against it and left it running full blast all the time.