Shoutbox

Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP (/showthread.php?tid=70642)

Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Steven on 01-13-2007 at 07:07 PM

Hi, i can't take it anymore, my  Grandpa has been smoking since 18, and not surprisingly he had a operation at the age of 50 where the doctors took his leg vain and put it to his heart or something dont ask im not a doctor, but he still smnoked after that! Hes the only 1 that smokes, and i do not know what to do...... He says he doesnt smoke that much, but really every 5 minutes i hear the door opening and him going outside and puffing...... Doctor said he has 5 years, hes 69 right now and the doctor said that 3 years ago.., i am very sad.....

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Nathan on 01-13-2007 at 07:12 PM

My mum and dad both smoke :(
My dad is currently in hospital becuase of it mainly he smokes about 40 a day! And even though he is really trying e.g
he has given up beer and unhealthy foods. he wont stop smoking... yet.
He's stubborn and if someone doesnt want too there's no point forcing then becuase it has no effect on them at all.

This may sound a bit harsh:
If your grandad has 2 years to live then your grandad doesnt need to stop smoking, either way he's going to die soon. So he will want to enjoy the rest of his life with you, his family and relatives and of course smoking.

So there is no point trying
I am very sorry to hear this btw and spend as much time with him as you possibly can and make his last few years enjoyable.

And.
Doctors and always right;
e.g My mums grandad smoked 80 a day and drank he lived till 97 even though the doctor said he had 4 years to live when he was 75
just goes to show.

Regards,
Nathan

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Supersonicdarky on 01-13-2007 at 07:17 PM

not a single person in family smokes, my grandpa did once but stopped after 2 - 3 years. he's 73 (i think) and only had an operation because something popped when he tried to pick something up

if you want to help him, just try to take the cigars away, start small so that he wouldnt smoke as much a day. and slowly take more and more. look innocent if he asks :P

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by ShawnZ on 01-13-2007 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
if you want to help him, just try to take the cigars away, start small so that he wouldnt smoke as much a day. and slowly take more and more. look innocent if he asks

or just take all his packs, fill them with glue, and make sure he knows it was you, so he gets the idea...
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by ayjay on 01-13-2007 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
where the doctors took his leg vain and put it to his heart or something dont ask im not a doctor
Bypass surgery... probably.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
grandad has 2 years to live then your grandad doesnt need to stop smoking, either way he's going to die soon.
If he stops smoking, he can still extend his life.

Personally, if it were my grandad, I'd tell him how selfish he's being on the rest of his family by refusing to stop. Although if he hasn't taken the hint from being admitted to hospital and being told he has a few years left, he's probably not likely to stop.
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Nathan on 01-13-2007 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
Thats were you're wrong.
Not at this late at life :(
his lung are filled with crap from smoking therefore its still decaying.
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Steven on 01-13-2007 at 07:36 PM

He tells me for me not to worry. I heard you gotta tough it out for 10 days... Should he use gum?

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by ayjay on 01-13-2007 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Thats were you're wrong.
Not at this late at life (Smilie)
his lung are filled with crap from smoking therefore its still decaying.

within less than a day of quitting your body starts to heal and after 4 or 5 days, almost all the nicotine is gone from the body. after about a year his chances of a heart attack will have halved. sure, at the age of 69 it isn't going to change as dramatically as for someone in their 20s, but it's still going to have a noticable effect.
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by kao on 01-13-2007 at 08:03 PM

I smoked since i was 12 and was smoking 40 a day when i was 16 then cut down to about 10 or less a day by the time i was 19, I stopped smoking about 3 months ago and no matter what people say, you get a craving every now and then after however long you go (I quit for about 6 months about 2 years ago but started again)

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Fuse on 01-13-2007 at 10:43 PM

my mum smoked and she used the gum (she is 36) she seems fine now, the worst thing is: she is doctor so you'd expect a doctor not to get involved with that sort of stuff in the first place. my dad is trying to stop smoking at the moment and he is also using the gum but he also has this kazu (:P) thing which he plays with each time he gets a craving.

try looking for some websites and showing them to your grandad. also there was this one advert where fat was dropping out of someone that made my mum think..so try looking for that

hope the above helps.

edit:

here are some:

Smoking Advert 1 - Caution [Slightly Graphic]
Collection of NHS Adverts

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Rolando on 01-13-2007 at 10:48 PM

quote:
He tells me for me not to worry. I heard you gotta tough it out for 10 days... Should he use gum?

You should tell him what we told my dad- Him smoking damaged the persons around him more than it damages him. Try to explain that to him, I'm sure he'll feel bad and will try to stop.

http://www.smoke-free.ca/Second-Hand-Smoke/health_kids.htm
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Menthix on 01-13-2007 at 11:28 PM

My grandpa (who died about 2 years ago, not directly related to smoking) always smoked a lot too. Doctors have been telling him for years to stop or at least smoke less. He tried it a few times, but he only felt worse when doing it.

I doubt if there is really a point to stop smoking at an old age when you have heavily smoked all your life. I'm sorry to say it like this, but it's not like his lungs will suddenly heal quickly from years of smoke. From a medical point of view sure, stopping is always good, but i doubt if it's worth it mentally... that's how i at least thought about it with my own grandpa, because for him you could really see it was an addiction when he tried to stop (nasty sideeffects)

quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
every 5 minutes i hear the door opening and him going outside and puffing.

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Nathan on 01-14-2007 at 12:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
My grandpa (who died about 2 years ago, not directly related to smoking) always smoked a lot too. Doctors have been telling him for years to stop or at least smoke less. He tried it a few times, but he only felt worse when doing it.

I doubt if there is really a point to stop smoking at an old age when you have heavily smoked all your life. I'm sorry to say it like this, but it's not like his lungs will suddenly heal quickly from years of smoke. From a medical point of view sure, stopping is always good, but i doubt if it's worth it mentally... that's how i at least thought about it with my own grandpa, because for him you could really see it was an addiction when he tried to stop (nasty sideeffects)

quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
every 5 minutes i hear the door opening and him going outside and puffing.

Finally someone who agrees with me :)
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Rolando on 01-14-2007 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.

:lol:
Shouldn't be saying jokes in a serious thread though..

Anyways..., maybe MenthiX is right and its not worth quitting and maybe its not worth quitting.. But if you can help him quit smoking without him feeling badly, go ahead.

At least your grandpa taught you to not smoke. I'm sure you'll never smoke because you had someone close to you that did, and it affected you.

The best way to quit smoking is to never start smoking
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Eddie on 01-14-2007 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.
lol dunno if thats meant to be a joke :P but thats ooooooooooooooooooooooooold ;) still funny though :lol: but anyway in my opinion smoking is silly, and besides they have this nicorette mints and stuff like that now, so its getting easier to quit :)

But MenthiX also makes very good points *-)
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by vaccination on 01-14-2007 at 06:16 PM

Tell him to put it in his pipe and smoke it!

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Nagamasa on 01-14-2007 at 07:52 PM

Express your and your family's feelings to him. Say that: you do not want him to die, Beg him to stop smoking. "Its not too late". "Do our family a favor" "I want some more fun time with you".

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Voldemort on 01-14-2007 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

Could not agree more....

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by joey on 01-16-2007 at 12:16 PM

i dont want to be spamming or anything but i think its a bit unfair on steven and maybe other who are reading this, when people are making jokes about it. its a serious matter and you'll only regret it if you smoke.

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by user27089 on 01-16-2007 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
quote:
where the doctors took his leg vain and put it to his heart or something dont ask im not a doctor
Bypass surgery... probably.

quote:
grandad has 2 years to live then your grandad doesnt need to stop smoking, either way he's going to die soon.

Personally, if it were my grandad, I'd tell him how selfish he's being on the rest of his family by refusing to stop. Although if he hasn't taken the hint from being admitted to hospital and being told he has a few years left, he's probably not likely to stop.

I agree completely.

quote:
Originally posted by ichooselife128
i dont want to be spamming or anything but i think its a bit unfair on steven and maybe other who are reading this, when people are making jokes about it. its a serious matter and you'll only regret it if you smoke.

Unfortunately there are some people on this forum that don't care about others and find stuff like this funny, people who I don't like mainly :).

Just sit down with your grandad and tell him to make a decision between seeing his family or smoking, as him smoking will shorten his life so he won't see you for much longer, on the other hand he could quit smoking (go nicotine patches!!!) and not die. It annoys me that people are willing to kill themselves slowly for a few decades, because smoking is essentially legal suicide.

So basically, tell him to choose between you or his fags.
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by markee on 01-16-2007 at 02:54 PM

I personally believe when someone only has a short time to live that they should live it up and live it how they feel.  I realise you don't want this but the fact of the matter is that he has lived his life and he should live out the rest of his days in the way that he feels best.  I have grandparent who smoke and I know how tough it is but if they were told that it would kill them in a set period of time if they didn't give it up then i would let them make the decision because they deserve to have the choice, you just need to go long with it and make the remaining time as memorable as possible.  You have to remember it is easier for us to change habits because we are younger, but for him it would be extremely hard and painful to do and IMO there is no need for that just to get some more time out of him, you should be grateful that he is happy and make the most of the unfortunate situation.

RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP by Menthix on 01-16-2007 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ichooselife128
people are making jokes about it
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
there are some people on this forum that don't care about others
Only Time made a little joke here, which at the same time points out how hard it can be to stop. The other replies are serious AFAIK.