Shoutbox

Prevent people stealing your emoticons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Prevent people stealing your emoticons (/showthread.php?tid=70666)

Prevent people stealing your emoticons by kvnhmmd on 01-14-2007 at 08:04 AM

I know with Messenger Discovery Live you can choose the option to prevent people from adding your emoticons, but i dont really want to install that, so im wondering if there is another way somehow, using messenger plus.

RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by Jimbo on 01-14-2007 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kvnhmmd
I know with Messenger Discovery Live you can choose the option to prevent people from adding your emoticons, but i dont really want to install that, so im wondering if there is another way somehow, using messenger plus.
The only way to do it is with Discovery Live, sorry
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by EBFL on 01-14-2007 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Search Before Posting.
Is it possible...
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by kvnhmmd on 01-14-2007 at 11:41 AM

I dont know how messenger discovery does it, but what that post you gave the link to says, is that its not possible at all. It is, possible, im just wondering if it is possible with scripts, especially when people make those fancy .dll scripts

RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by EBFL on 01-14-2007 at 11:44 AM

quote:
I dont know how messenger discovery does it, but what that post you gave the link to says, is that its not possible at all. It is, possible, im just wondering if it is possible with scripts, especially when people make those fancy .dll scripts
it is not possible with scripts.
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by Felu on 01-14-2007 at 12:20 PM

Also even if you protect them, they can easily be fetched from MessengerCache folder(%temp%\MessengerCache).

RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by markee on 01-14-2007 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:
it is not possible with scripts.
quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Also even if you protect them, they can easily be fetched from MessengerCache folder(%temp%\MessengerCache).

Hence you can't use scripts to do it [Image: msn_wink.gif] (EDIT: furthermore it isn't too difficult to make a script to get all the emoticons used by your contacts)

Anyway, I think StuffPlug's CE/DP stealer should also steal the emoticons for you if you wanted.  Visit StuffPlug's homepage formore information and to download.

In summary, there are many easy ways around any method trying to prevent the stealing of emoticons I'm sorry to say.
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by Felu on 01-14-2007 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:
it is not [Image: msn_wink.gif]possible with scripts.
quote:

Hence you can use scripts to do it

Anyway, I think StuffPlug's CE/DP stealer should do it for you if you wanted.  Visit StuffPlug's homepage formore information and to download.
Oops you got it wrong [Image: msn_tongue.gif]. We don't want to steal emoticons but rather protect them.

Also here in another thread on the same topic with rather more info Protect emotes?. And you can't say its impossible to add a feature like MDL's with a script. Its just difficult.
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by markee on 01-14-2007 at 12:31 PM

quote:

Oops you got it wrong . We don't want to steal emoticons but rather protect them.
Also here in another thread on the same topic with rather more info Protect emotes?.
Well I was just proving further that there is no way of protecting them and that it is very easy to do (and also to make something automated to do it for you as well).
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by kvnhmmd on 01-15-2007 at 03:29 AM

actually, i recently formated my hard drive, and i used the "Concon" program to restore my emoticons and such, and somehow, people cannot add my emoticons now. There is just a grayed out option that says "Get this emoticon" So im thinking that concon adds your emoticons to your account making messenger think that you bought them, so they cannot be shared.

RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by deAd on 01-15-2007 at 03:34 AM

When they are added from a package, the way the package is made determines if they can be added or not by right-click.

However, they ARE stored unprotected in the Messenger Cache, and so it is very easy to retrieve them.

In short, there's no real way :P

RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by Eddie on 01-15-2007 at 04:47 AM

To save making a whole new thread, i cant find where the emoticons are stored :( which is really aggrivating, i found where things are meant to be stored using the post cookie made about where dps are saved etc, and all that is there is .sqm files that arent pictures atall :( Help?

RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by Felu on 01-15-2007 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
To save making a whole new thread, i cant find where the emoticons are stored [Image: msn_sad.gif][Image: msn_sad.gif] which is really aggrivating, i found where things are meant to be stored using the post cookie made about where dps are saved etc, and all that is there is .sqm files that arent pictures atall Help?
Your emoticons or others?
1)Yours
a)WLM 8.0 or below - Documents and Settings\{COMPUTER USER}\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\{USERID}\CustomEmoticons. These are gif/png's stored with an extension of .dat
b)WLM 8.1 and above - Documents and Settings\{COMPUTER USER}\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\{EMAIL}\ObjectStore\CustomEmoticons. These are gis/png's stored with the extension of .dt2 or .id2
2) Others - (%temp%\MessengerCache) These are saved once you've recieved them. Cannot be saved before that.
RE: Prevent people stealing your emoticons by Eddie on 01-15-2007 at 01:50 PM

Ahhh thanks Felu :) Got them now (Y) i was putting C:/%temp%\MessengerCache lol oops :P