Shoutbox

WLM Continually Crashes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM Continually Crashes (/showthread.php?tid=70669)

WLM Continually Crashes by Pyroteq on 01-14-2007 at 11:33 AM

Is anyone else experiencing random crashes, or has a solution for it?

About every twenty minutes my msn will crash, i have uninstalled and reinstalled trying both 8.0 and 8.1 public beta, without patching.

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by user27089 on 01-14-2007 at 11:50 AM

Have you done a full uninstall? Deleting the registry and folders for Windows Live Messenger?

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Felu on 01-14-2007 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyroteq

About every twenty minutes my msn will crash, i have uninstalled and reinstalled trying both 8.0 and 8.1 public beta, without patching.
Yea the same randomly started to happen with me months ago and then randomly stopped after 10-15 days [Image: msn_confused.gif]. I still think its the memory(processes) leak to be held responsible. Try using ReduceMem [RELEASE] ReduceMEM v1.3
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Hank on 01-14-2007 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyroteq

what Java have you got? should be running Java1.6 an the latest flash9b.ocx
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by RaceProUK on 01-14-2007 at 02:00 PM

Java has nothing to do with Messenger. Nor does Flash.

BTW: The latest version of Java is 5.0 (or 1.5, depending on which part of Java you're talking about).

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Pyroteq on 01-15-2007 at 12:46 AM

I have done a full uninstall as you described traxor.
I dont think java has anything to do with messenger, next time it crashes ill check for the mem. spike and try felu's suggestion.

thanks guys.

RE: RE: WLM Continually Crashes by MattyRid on 01-15-2007 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Nor does Flash.

Dynamic Display Pictures require flash player be installed otherwise they are not displayed.

Anyway back on topic, I noticed this as well and I managed to find the culprit, that was MessengerDiscovery, if you use that try removing that and see if it helps. Also what Felu said could also help, and to be honest it wouldn't be surprising at all if it was the memory leak.
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Voldemort on 01-15-2007 at 01:20 AM

Stop all of your scripts. That used to happen to me when i has ~5 active scripts... dodgy conflict between them...

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Pyroteq on 01-16-2007 at 03:44 AM

Yeah i have quite a few scripts, scince my last reply it hasnt crashed.
Although,
The "What im listening to" Feature isnt displaying anything (and its checked)..

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by MattyRid on 01-16-2007 at 03:45 AM

What music player do you normally use? check your player settings maybe?

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by LoochTheMan on 01-16-2007 at 06:10 AM

I have found that my WLM crashes when i have my sharing folders active. When I select "Pause all sharing" my msn doesnt crash. Dont know how to fix it but it is quiet annoying. Maybe it could be the same problem?

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Hank on 01-16-2007 at 06:14 AM

quote:

hate to say it but java1.6 an the latest flash9 is required for Windows Live messenger
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Kenji on 01-16-2007 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
quote:

hate to say it but java1.6 an the latest flash9 is required for Windows Live messenger
Uh. I had Windows live messenger working fine without java and flash... what are you talking about?
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Hank on 01-16-2007 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmo

Uh. I had Windows live messenger working fine without java and flash... what are you talking about?
u did? find that hard to believe
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by FineWolf on 01-16-2007 at 06:33 AM

I can assure you that WLM makes no use of Java at all. As of Flash, it is only required for a few games, winks, and dynamic backgrounds/display pictures but it isn't required for WLM to work.

Don't believe me? Official requirements:

http://get.live.com/messenger/sysreq

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Kenji on 01-16-2007 at 06:35 AM

[06:33] <Dazmo> you dont need java and flash for WLM do you..
[06:33] <Dazmo> :P
[06:34] <Dazmo> TReKiE? :P
[06:34] <&TReKiE> nope

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by MattyRid on 01-16-2007 at 06:41 AM

But what I said is still right, you need flash to see dynamic display pictures and winks, I know this for a fact as when I fixed my sister's computer, WLM decided to annoy me as flash wasn't there :(

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Hank on 01-16-2007 at 06:46 AM

if you dont need flash, why does John Eddy ask an or tell people you need flash? or ask people to install flash an the latest java?

Edit John Eddy is a Windows Live messenger Team dude

RE: RE: WLM Continually Crashes by FineWolf on 01-16-2007 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
if you dont need flash, why does John Eddy ask an or tell people you need flash? or ask people to install flash an the latest java?

Because he has absolutely no clue? Did you read the official requirements from MICROSOFT? Nor flash or java are mentioned.

And John Eddy was a beta coordinator for WLM which doesn't automatically makes him a valid source even if he was part of the team.
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Hank on 01-16-2007 at 07:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf

Because he has absolutely no clue? Did you read the official requirements from MICROSOFT? Nor flash or java are mentioned.

And John Eddy was a beta coordinator for WLM which doesn't automatically makes him a valid source even if he was part of the team.
no i didn't read it,

RE: RE: RE: WLM Continually Crashes by MattyRid on 01-16-2007 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
quote:
Originally posted by HSV

Those requirements are not taking into consideration Winks and Dynamic Display pictures. It's only when Messenger decides to annoy you about especially if a wink is sent or a dynamic display picture is displayed by a contact when it will ask for flash to be installed.

As for java, since when was that needed, I've run Messenger with flash on it's own and never had a problem so I don't know where java comes into it.
RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Hank on 01-16-2007 at 07:34 AM

Java, i dunno, but seems to me that i been misslead to believe java is needed

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by Wast on 01-16-2007 at 07:14 PM

Although everyone's said this, I am pretty much 100% sure that Java and Flash are not needed to run the main WLM program.

As for the problem you were having with What I'm Listening To, I reccomend checking to see if the WLM plug-in is enabled on WMP, as Windows Media Player crashing will disable all plug-ins usually.

RE: WLM Continually Crashes by RaceProUK on 01-16-2007 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
i been misslead to believe java is needed
Very much so.

And like I said earlier, there is no Java 1.6.
quote:
Originally posted by Wast
I am pretty much 100% sure that Java and Flash are not needed to run the main WLM program
Correct! If you don't have Flash, you just don't see DDPs or games, simple as that. And Java has about as much to do with WLM as a Canadian salmon.