Shoutbox

Viewing a laser beam - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Viewing a laser beam (/showthread.php?tid=70691)

Viewing a laser beam by DJeX on 01-14-2007 at 08:26 PM

Ok I have a red laser light and I would like the see the beam without having to use smoke, powder or a spray. I was thinking there might be a certain type of glasses that will allow you to see the beam. Does any one know if this is possible?

RE: Viewing a laser beam by Jimbo on 01-14-2007 at 08:28 PM

These might do it

Google is your friend

RE: Viewing a laser beam by RaceProUK on 01-14-2007 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I was thinking there might be a certain type of glasses that will allow you to see the beam
Not even the most advanced glasses in the world will help here I'm afraid. You'll haveto use smoke, or another particulate, in order for the laser beam to partly reflect towards your eyes. Otherwise none of the laser light will go anywhere near them.
RE: Viewing a laser beam by Vimto on 01-14-2007 at 09:53 PM

If you have a empty squirt type bottle just fill it with water and spray it alot and you should be able to see it :cheesy: Bet your lasers work don't they, of ocurse they would yehhh work for anybody except me :|...

*Damn those kids spy kits with the laser beams that don't work*

RE: Viewing a laser beam by Nagamasa on 01-14-2007 at 11:14 PM

Would viewing through a one-way mirror work?

RE: Viewing a laser beam by ShawnZ on 01-14-2007 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

what does a one way mirror have ot do with anything o.o
RE: Viewing a laser beam by Nagamasa on 01-14-2007 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

what does a one way mirror have ot do with anything o.o

He can see the laser beam?

And no, I'm not trying to spam. I just want to provide a possible solution via a educated guess.
RE: Viewing a laser beam by Voldemort on 01-14-2007 at 11:34 PM

quote:
Is there a two way mirror outside the Harry Potter World?
RE: Viewing a laser beam by lizard.boy on 01-15-2007 at 12:23 AM

One way mirrors work as a window from one side, and a mirror from the other, like you see in interrogation rooms in cop shows. Normal mirrors are just silver or painted on the back side.

RE: Viewing a laser beam by Voldemort on 01-15-2007 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
One way mirrors work as a window from one side, and a mirror from the other, like you see in interrogation rooms in cop shows
I wouldn't consider that a mirror =/ it's just a silver tinted window
RE: Viewing a laser beam by Menthix on 01-15-2007 at 01:13 AM

Buy a wicked laser :p

[Image: graph.gif]

RE: Viewing a laser beam by CookieRevised on 01-15-2007 at 01:42 AM

As RaceProUK already said, you can not see a laser beam (or any light for that matter!!!) if it does not reflect on something...

Smoke, haze, watervapor, dust, etc are all things which can be used to make laser light visible. All those substances are... substances, and if they come in the path of the beam of light (again, any light, doesn't need to be 'laser') the light will reflect on there surfaces. Some of that reflection will be towards your eye, hence you will see the beam...

The more light that is being distributed, the more change it has as a whole to reflect on something. Hence why powerfull lasers (eg: green lasers are in general more powerfull than red lasers) are visible, even without additional stuff in the air... That is: without additional stuff in the air on first sight, because there is always something in the air (isn't that from a song :p)....

A normal flashlight is also visible on misty nights, because even that faint light is reflected by the massive water vapor in the air.

If you shoot a laser thru a tube without any air or other particals, you wont see anything at all, ever because there is nothing to reflect the light of...

quote:
yes, unless you close your eyes or you're trying to look thru it on the wrong side...  :p

to be serious: if you point the laser beam at the mirror it will reflect and it will go in the opposite direction under the opposite angle. When you look at this beam on the other side of the mirror, you will only see a dot on the mirror.... Unless, again, if there is enough stuff floating around in the air to make the beam visible. If so, you will see a beam projecting on the mirror and reflecting away (and you will also see a smaller/dimmer beam shooting right thru the mirror (depending on the hardness of reflection of the mirror and the power of the laser) but under a slightly bend angle)...

Do not experiment with lasers, unless you know absolutely what you're doing and know exactly all the physics and dangers involved!!! Even a split second in your eyes can/will make you permanently blind, not to mention possible severe burnwounds
RE: Viewing a laser beam by Voldemort on 01-15-2007 at 01:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
there is always something in the air
LOVE IS IN THE AIR.
and it is, really.
RE: Viewing a laser beam by Flaming Rob on 01-15-2007 at 06:53 AM

i agree with MenthiX   :p

RE: Viewing a laser beam by Woraug on 01-15-2007 at 07:58 AM

You can make a laser that can do all the stuff their best one can out of a DVD burner laser.  I don't remember the site, but when I find it, i'll post a link.

::EDIT::  I remembered the site.

http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-howto.html

RE: Viewing a laser beam by joey on 01-16-2007 at 12:08 PM

lol im going to try that or see if i can buy one of him or something! im not very good with electronics, once took a disposable camera apart and got an electric shock. lol

RE: Viewing a laser beam by Stigmata on 01-16-2007 at 04:46 PM

They throw gas canisters in movies...