Shoutbox

Ok... WTF...!? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ok... WTF...!? (/showthread.php?tid=70773)

Ok... WTF...!? by Woraug on 01-17-2007 at 10:12 AM

Earlier today, I installed DVD Shrink, no problem.  Later in the day, I go to switch users, and I find out it's disabled.  "Ok" I think to myself, so I go to the logon settings, and try to enable it.  It refuses to stay enabled.  I go system services and try to enable Terminal services and Fast user switching, but they won't start.  Whether they're set on manual or automatic.  I'm a bit frustrated now, so I go to uninstall DVD Shrink, thinking it may be the source of my troubles.  Wrong.  Nothing changes.  I have no freakin idea what I did, or why it won't enable.  Any ideas?

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Ezra on 01-17-2007 at 10:17 AM

Tried Restarting?, I know it's kinda a dumb question but mostly when I find that services won't start, a restart fixes it.

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Woraug on 01-17-2007 at 10:25 AM

I tried.  Before anyone mentions it, I don't have system restore enabled.  It never worked anyway.  I always got a "restore failed" error of some sort.

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Sunshine on 01-17-2007 at 11:52 AM

Have a look at the account settings (requires admin account..if it doesn't work from yours, wich i think it didn't from your post,  boot into safemode and go on the one called "administrator"). Specificly controlpanel > Useraccounts..click on "Change the way users log in/out" (free translation..sorry i got dutch OS here...but its the 3rd under tasks right above the account) and make sure those two boxes there are ticked.

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Woraug on 01-17-2007 at 04:51 PM

I tried safe mode, no go.

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by wj on 01-17-2007 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
I tried safe mode, no go.
Safe mode is not going to help you here.

A. Do you have Windows Defender installed?

B. Check your windows logs (right click my computer -> Manage -> Event Viewer), check the system and application events and see if there is a clue in there
RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Woraug on 01-17-2007 at 09:23 PM

I don't have Defender installed, and after checking, I realized the options in my system properties have changed as well.

[Image: 413a35eec2.jpg]

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Voldemort on 01-17-2007 at 09:46 PM

I think you downloaded a modifuked version of DVD shrink...
dodgy and maybe a dumb question but have you scanned for spyware/adware/viruses?

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Woraug on 01-18-2007 at 02:45 AM

I did that last night.  No viruses, one or two nasty cookies found by Adaware, and some spyware found by Spybot S&D.  All of which were eliminated.

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by pedro_cesar on 01-19-2007 at 03:22 AM

obviously what ran in your computer had administrator rights so I'm thinkin u allowed it to run (probably not known it) what's the error message it gives u when trying to change to fast Switch User?

U can also try and change the registry which is the highest authority in Windows
Warning: Modifying the registry could crash your system down to unrepairable causing u to lose data and maybe even havin to format the Hard Drive 

I got u the address on how to edit the registry for this:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/973/

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by Woraug on 01-19-2007 at 06:06 AM

Nope, that registry setting is as it should be.  Set to allowed.

RE: Ok... WTF...!? by pedro_cesar on 01-20-2007 at 09:53 PM

Then I would recommend to repair you O.S.