Shoutbox

Webcam recording - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Webcam recording (/showthread.php?tid=70781)

Webcam recording by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 04:37 PM

One of you clever programmer guys must know how to make a script that either takes lots of pics or actually records a webcam. No?
Any1 that wants a challenge this is it.
I think itd be good to create a tool that can take pics and save themm instantly- jus like print screen and goin to ms paint. but instantly being saved to a file. Any suggestions.

RE: Webcam by Dr4g0n on 01-17-2007 at 04:39 PM

There are external programs that can already do this, I'm not sure whether it could be made as a script, but I doubt it. I suggest Fraps or Camtasia

RE: Webcam by Matti on 01-17-2007 at 04:42 PM

TheBlasphemer was working once on a plugin which could actually record the webcam as a movie file, but I have no idea if it would work with the latest WLM and if it would be stable enough... :S

RE: Webcam by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 04:42 PM

Nah not exaclty--
There is a programmer out there that can write a script to take a picture of the other persons webcam. And save as an image file- instantly. Not to record the webcam. Jus to take still shots from the other persons webcam.
I no someone can do it.

RE: Webcam by skyserpent on 01-17-2007 at 04:48 PM

http://ml20rc.msnfanatic.com/

it's a program, but it does the job nicely. it actually records the stream and not the screen. so it doesn't slow down the pc.

RE: Webcam by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 04:50 PM

noooo lol
i want to take still pictures from the other persons webcam!!!!!
just like print screening. i dont want to actually record as a movie or mpg file or nuffin

RE: Webcam by Mike on 01-17-2007 at 05:06 PM

Taking a picture of what the other person's webcam is viewing is an invasion of privacy and is not possible without the other using having a script installed.

You can however take a still image of what your webcam is viewing and send is as a file.

RE: Webcam by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 05:08 PM

why is it?? surely the same as stealing a display pic. Because the person put a display pic up just the sme as they are putting them self on the webcam.

RE: Webcam recording by Jimbo on 01-17-2007 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alex_sl1
why is it?? surely the same as stealing a display pic. Because the person put a display pic up just the sme as they are putting them self on the webcam.
Just because they put themselves up on webcam, doesn't mean they want you to record them on it. Also, stealing someones DP is also an ivasion of privacy, unless they send it to you ;)
RE: RE: Webcam recording by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
Just because they put themselves up on webcam, doesn't mean they want you to record them on it. Also, stealing someones DP is also an ivasion of privacy, unless they send it to you ;)
So if they r both invasions of privacy but there are dp- stealers on this site then surely a webcam picture taker can be posted on the site aswell. All we need is a clever programmer that wants to take on the challenge.
RE: Webcam recording by vaccination on 01-17-2007 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
quote:
why is it?? surely the same as stealing a display pic. Because the person put a display pict up just the sme as they are putting them self on the webcam.

Um, jimbodude, it's not an invasion of privacy. Because you're not stealing them, it's already stored on your PC. it's willingly given to you(by the contact) and al you're doing(in the case if DP's) is moving the files form one place to another. It's the same with webcams TBH. Once the contact accepts, there no privacy invasion as you have their consent. (someone correct me if i'm wrong..)

In the matter of the script, you might as well just take a video, i can't see the difference in recording the webcam, and taking stills every couple of seconds? surely a video would be better anyway? =/

RE: Webcam recording by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 09:02 PM

thanks for agreeing with me-- i think you said it better than i did.
because a video would take too much memory  and you neva know when someone is going to do somefing stupid- so it'd be better just to snapshot someone while they are dancing or something.

RE: Webcam recording by LoochTheMan on 01-17-2007 at 10:45 PM

Theres a program out there called "MSN Webcam Recorder" that records the streams of webcams and saves them into relatively small files within the program. I wouldn't console the use of this because it invades other people's privacy, but it is out there nonetheless.

RE: Webcam recording by alex_sl1 on 01-17-2007 at 10:47 PM

where can that be found??
and also can no one build a script for it????

RE: RE: Webcam recording by ryxdp on 01-18-2007 at 10:25 AM

quote:
where can that be found??
and also can no one build a script for it????

1. :google:
2. I'd chance a guess at no, seeing as nobody has bothered to, and all they do is give you links to camstasia etc.:P
RE: Webcam recording by aNILEator on 01-18-2007 at 10:56 AM

skyserpant linked to it damn doesn't anyone READ these posts?

RE: Webcam recording by alex_sl1 on 01-18-2007 at 03:10 PM

Yes i read it but I know everyone just gives links because they dont want to take on the challenge themselves. I bet someone could make one.

RE: Webcam recording by Mike on 01-18-2007 at 03:20 PM

Why reinvent the wheel? :-/

RE: Webcam recording by alex_sl1 on 01-18-2007 at 03:23 PM

Dont worry i understand-- id say that if i didnt know how to do it either. Its fyne. Thankks everyone for your time anyway

RE: RE: Webcam recording by ZrednaZ on 01-23-2007 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
Theres a program out there called "MSN Webcam Recorder" that records the streams of webcams and saves them into relatively small files within the program. I wouldn't console the use of this because it invades other people's privacy, but it is out there nonetheless.

Quit being silly. Hacking your way into a computer and viewing its webcam without the user's knowledge would be in the privacy invasion category. Recording a stream already being sent to your computer is no more a privacy invasion than for instance logging your chats or recording a phone conversation (which is totally legal, at least here in Denmark).
RE: RE: RE: Webcam recording by LoochTheMan on 01-23-2007 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan

Quit being silly. Hacking your way into a computer and viewing its webcam without the user's knowledge would be in the privacy invasion category. Recording a stream already being sent to your computer is no more a privacy invasion than for instance logging your chats or recording a phone conversation (which is totally legal, at least here in Denmark).

Its you're choice whether or not to use it. I'm just making sure I let people know possible ethical issues surrounding the program. Just read as a precaution. No Offence intended.
RE: Webcam recording by Jarrod on 01-28-2007 at 10:32 PM

probally worng but couldn't you use screenshot sender? to save the files?
it may need some work with automation or something i havent had a huge look @ it
hope it helps sorta

RE: RE: Webcam recording by CookieRevised on 01-28-2007 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Um, jimbodude, it's not an invasion of privacy. Because you're not stealing them, it's already stored on your PC. it's willingly given to you(by the contact) and al you're doing(in the case if DP's) is moving the files form one place to another. It's the same with webcams TBH. Once the contact accepts, there no privacy invasion as you have their consent. (someone correct me if i'm wrong..)
It isn't an invasion if you just want to store it for your own purpose. However, publicizing it IS technically an invasion since the contact did not gave his permission to make it public. A chat, and thus also a webcam stream from your contact (and log files or even just quotes from the chat), IS private between you and the contact, unless explicitly stated otherwise by the contact.

As for DPs this is just the same. Although the permission given to view it is not limited to only 1 contact, but to all your contacts at once (and/or to the friends of all or some of your contacts).

It is perfectly thinkable that the contact does not want you to make the webcam stream or even snapshots public (and 'public' means also only showing it to your friends). The same for DPs, although this area is a bit more vague...

Think about 'privacy' in this way: If I send something to some address, I meant to be sending it to that address and not to any other. If I wanted to send it to your friend, I would have done so in the first place. If I wanted to send something to everybody in the world, I would find a special address which forwards my thing to all other addresses in the world.

-------------

To alex_sl1: if you want such a tool which can do it, then follow the already given links. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, as someone already stated, or to make something half-working and incomplete while there are already a vast number of tools which do it in one way or the other (including only taking snapshots).