Shoutbox

Auto Delete? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Auto Delete? (/showthread.php?tid=70820)

Auto Delete? by EBFL on 01-18-2007 at 08:47 PM

Could you make it so there is a button or something to enable a option so when its enabled all messages in the inbox are in there for a certain ammount of time before deleting?
Or something to auto delete messages in inbox after a while =P

RE: Auto Delete? by WDZ on 01-18-2007 at 08:56 PM

Automatically deleting Private Messages? That sounds dodgy... why would it be useful? :-/

RE: Auto Delete? by EBFL on 01-18-2007 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Automatically deleting Private Messages? That sounds dodgy... why would it be useful? :-/
Because when i get loads i cba too delete them all :sad:
RE: Auto Delete? by Rolando on 01-18-2007 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Because when i get loads i cba too delete them all :sad:

You can click on the top and delete 'em all? :p

I dont think this would be useful as it could delete something a user may want later..

RE: Auto Delete? by WDZ on 01-18-2007 at 09:05 PM

Click Archive Messages, set the "Date Limitation," and check "yes" next to "Delete Archived Messages." You can use that to prune your PMs. :P

RE: Auto Delete? by Nathan on 01-18-2007 at 10:18 PM

WDZ -
Make a script to upload all of the PM's into a .txt file so we can put it somewhere else and not stock up your HDD :P

RE: Auto Delete? by WDZ on 01-18-2007 at 10:20 PM

Isn't that what the archive thingy is for? :-/

RE: Auto Delete? by Nathan on 01-18-2007 at 10:27 PM

I think that came out a bit wrong what i mean is:
Instead of each pm going to the HDD on the server (or mysql db) cant we have the option to download/upload it somewhere else on receiving the PM.

So its in the PM options and if you set it too mysql.db.com password = passowrd .... then it will upload it there.

Or

Set the servers password and let it upload it to the server and when someone sends a pm it adds it to the .txt file or whatever.

Or

Download it to your computer on receving a PM and delete it from the MYSQL DB and it wil read from the txt file.

RE: Auto Delete? by Mike on 01-18-2007 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
So its in the PM options and if you set it too mysql.db.com password = passowrd .... then it will upload it there.
I wouldn't want my mysql DB username and password sitting in this database...
It's not that I don't trust the administrators, but, I just don't feel safe, and probably more people feel the same too :P

PM suggestion: Add an InstaDelete™ feature in the PM inbox, so that you don't have to go to the trash can to fully delete your PMs :P
RE: Auto Delete? by WDZ on 01-18-2007 at 10:37 PM

wtf, that's like insanely complicated... :P

A PM uses, on average, about 500 bytes of database space. That's nothing.

RE: Auto Delete? by Nathan on 01-18-2007 at 10:38 PM

Ok then - You know have no excuse for not boosting the PM size <3

RE: Auto Delete? by WDZ on 01-18-2007 at 10:53 PM

The actual size of the database is not an issue, and never really has been. :P

I think the issue is the number of rows in the database... having more rows slows things down because this version of MyBB queries the PM table every single time you load a page.

Having the messages stored outside the DB wouldn't work because there would be no efficient way to query them.

MyBB 1.2 caches your PM statistics, so I'll consider increasing the limit after I upgrade. :tongue:

RE: Auto Delete? by Nathan on 01-18-2007 at 10:55 PM

What are you "thinking" of upgrading it too?