Shoutbox

Reformating my computer. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Reformating my computer. (/showthread.php?tid=70832)

Reformating my computer. by Discrate on 01-19-2007 at 09:17 AM

Could someone please tell me how to reformat my computer/hard drive? i have looked on google and every website has a different way. I would like to know how you do it and what the best way to do it is. Also if you can could you you explain it in a simple way for me :|

RE: Reformating my computer. by linx05 on 01-19-2007 at 09:37 AM

There is no real 'best way'. A format is a format. Back up the stuff you need and then format it. Any Google search will tell you how to format your hard drive.

RE: Reformating my computer. by markee on 01-19-2007 at 09:39 AM

Ok, I'm assuming you are running XP.

Step 1.
When your computer is starting up you have to go into the BIOS (there will be some key/s you have to press to get in at a particular stage before windows starts loading).
Step 2.
Change the "Boot Order" so that your CD/DVD drive is the first one to boot from.
Step 3.
Save changes in bios and then let windows load.
Step 4.
Insert Windows XP CD and restart your computer.
Step 5.
Follow the prompts to format your computer (I'm unsure on exactly what you have to do from here, but I'm sure you should be able to tell)

Before doing this please make sure you have any important information off of your computer.

If you need more information then I'm sure there will be someone who can help (though I don't think you should)

RE: Reformating my computer. by Hank on 01-19-2007 at 01:13 PM

how to format a Hard Drive

RE: Reformating my computer. by matty on 01-19-2007 at 03:08 PM

Matty's reply to URGENT: Computer messed.....

Images got wiped when Dane's server crashed or he deleted them or something, however this will show you in detail how to fdisk and reinstall Windows XP.

RE: Reformating my computer. by Menthix on 01-19-2007 at 04:51 PM

IF you're planning to install Windows XP or higher on it after formatting the drive then there really isn't any reason to use FDISK or any other tool... Just boot from your Windows CD and you get the option to create partitions and format them there.