Shoutbox

fake or real email? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: fake or real email? (/showthread.php?tid=70867)

fake or real email? by joey on 01-20-2007 at 12:46 PM

im worried because i dont know if this is fake or real -

From :  Nationwide Building Society <services@secure.nationwide.co.uk>

Sent :  11 January 2007 13:34:40

To :  ichooselife128@hotmail.co.uk

Subject :  Attention!!! Your Nationwide Account Has Been Violated!!!

|  |  | Inbox

Dear Customer

Attention! Your Nationwide account has been violated!

Someone with ip address 81.102.72.19 tried to access your personal account!

Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away. You have 12 hours to confirm account information or your account will be blocked.

To Get Started,Please Click On

Confirm Your Nationwide Account Access.

This email was sent by the Nationwide Online server. This is done for your protection.

Nationwide Building Society
Security Advisor
Nationwide PLC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

See full details of our guarantee

Nationwide Building Society
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
Registered No. 106048
Date:11.01.2007
For security reasons, when you have finished using Internet Banking always select SIGN OFF.
If you have opted not to receive paper statements it is good practice to regularly check your statement online.

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure unless the data being sent is encrypted. Nationwide does not accept responsibility for loss arising from unauthorised access to Internet communications and/or the corruption of data by a third party.

Nationwide are unable to respond to replies sent to this email address.

it look pretty genuine and its only one that ive had from them, and yes i do have a nationwide account.

does anyone know what i should do or anything?:S

RE: fake or real email? by Supersonicdarky on 01-20-2007 at 12:49 PM

Are you their customer?

-If no, its :spam:

-If yes, see if the "click the link below and enter your account information" is actually valid, because i'm not sure that they would ask for your info just like that

RE: fake or real email? by joey on 01-20-2007 at 12:57 PM

it doesn't exist sometimes when i click on it, other times it does and just goes round in circles of redirecting me, so im guessing its going to illigal sites and putting trojans and spyware on my computer. im gunna scan it see what happens. thanks SSD.

RE: fake or real email? by pollolibredegrasa on 01-20-2007 at 12:57 PM

http://phishery.internetdefence.net/data/20262

Edit: I dont think real emails from a company like Nationwide would contain !!! in the subject :P

RE: fake or real email? by Phillip on 01-20-2007 at 01:02 PM

Most banks tell you that they will never send you an email asking you to follow a link and enter your details.

And if your really worried you could always ring up your bank.

RE: fake or real email? by GiantSpider on 01-20-2007 at 01:19 PM

It's got to be fake, just hover your mouse over the link to see what it says. But it will be fake.

RE: fake or real email? by CookieRevised on 01-20-2007 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ichooselife128
Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away.
Never ever click on such links! Even simply clicking on them (without entering your details), can already indicate to the spammers that the mail they send has arrived and they will sell your email to other spammers...

If in doubt, simply go manually to the bank's website by entering the address you are used to, and log in to your account...

Such emails like that are in almost all cases phishing.

eg:
[Image: PhishingTrustedBank.png]
PhishingTrustedBank.png
RE: fake or real email? by Nagamasa on 01-20-2007 at 01:21 PM

If you are not sure, then its a no.

That's the rule I follow. And it doesnt just apply to emails.

RE: fake or real email? by NiteMare on 01-20-2007 at 01:23 PM

NEVER EVER, EVER just click a link in an e-mail, expecially for banks/paypal/ebay sort of thing

just open up your web browser and enter the website, such as https://www.paypal.com, if its important enough for them to email you about it, they will deffinatly give you a warning or a message when you log in normally, if not, its a hoax, 9 times out of 10, if you hover your mouse over the link, it will say something like "http://23.23.56.24/paypal.com/login.php" or some thing like that, which is deffinatly not how you get to paypal

so again, never click e-mail links randomly

RE: fake or real email? by GiantSpider on 01-20-2007 at 01:25 PM

If you got the e-mail in Gmail, then you can report it to them. Also if you want to actually go onto the website then you can report it in Firefox by going: Help > Report Web Forgery. And in IE by going Tools > Phishing Filter > Report This Website.

RE: fake or real email? by joey on 01-24-2007 at 12:03 PM

no i use Gmail (now google mail) as my main one, but i just flciked through my hotmail account and as i speak the total has now gone up to 12 so i think ill delete them all, thanks everyone! xxx

RE: fake or real email? by Woraug on 01-24-2007 at 12:21 PM

1: No business would include an IP address if they believed it wasn't yours.

2: No business email would have such excessive use of exclamation points.

3: If it were serious enough to get them to want to talk to you, they would more than likely call you, not email you.

RE: RE: fake or real email? by rav0 on 01-26-2007 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug

3: If it were serious enough to get them to want to talk to you, they would more than likely call you, not email you.

Lots of businesses include IP address that they suspect weren't yours, but your other two points are very strong.

I an definite that this email is a fraud. Notice that the email doesn't greet you with your name, and the bank certainly knows it, since you have an account with them. The only thing that is asked of you is your details, and you are given a vague threat about the consequences of not provising your information.
RE: fake or real email? by Nagamasa on 01-26-2007 at 12:09 PM

quote:

4: No businesses made so many capitalization and other grammatical mistakes.

5: Large Companies would have a 'registered trademark' Thing.
RE: fake or real email? by foaly on 01-26-2007 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:

4: No businesses made so many capitalization and other grammatical mistakes.

5: Large Companies would have a 'registered trademark' Thing.
6. They would state your full name.
RE: fake or real email? by CookieRevised on 01-26-2007 at 03:07 PM

To put things straight...

1) many businesses would state IPs, depending on what the mail is about

3) many businesses would mail you instead of calling you. Not everybody lives in the same country where the business is located.

5) I don't see what registered trademarks would have to do with determining if an email is fake or not. Those reg. trademarks can be copied just as well...

6) They would state your full name only if you entered your full name somewhere...

----------

The only proper way to see if an email is fake or not is to go to the official business site by yourself, thus without following the link in the email...

Everything else (like those points listed above is pure guesswork and shouldn't be used as a 'guideline' at all).

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
NEVER EVER, EVER just click a link in an e-mail, expecially for banks/paypal/ebay sort of thing

just open up your web browser and enter the website, such as https://www.paypal.com, if its important enough for them to email you about it, they will deffinatly give you a warning or a message when you log in normally, if not, its a hoax, 9 times out of 10

if you hover your mouse over the link, it will say something like "http://23.23.56.24/paypal.com/login.php" or some thing like that, which is deffinatly not how you get to paypal.

so again, never click e-mail links randomly