Shoutbox

What is the most popular email service in the world? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What is the most popular email service in the world? (/showthread.php?tid=70941)

What is the most popular email service in the world? by Lourix on 01-22-2007 at 08:13 PM

Well like the title says what is the most popular email service in the world?
Maybe Hotmail or yahoo. Maybe Gmail is starting to creep up the list. So what is the most popular email service in the world?

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Stigmata on 01-22-2007 at 08:15 PM

Its AOL.

Can't remember where I heard that, but yeah...

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by plus on 01-22-2007 at 08:43 PM

Well i think google you get 2.8 gb of space!!!!!

EDIT: 100th post!!!!!!!!

I am so happy.........

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Thor on 01-22-2007 at 08:45 PM

AOL is the most popular (why? :() but I think it's also the worst one.

GMail <3

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by plus on 01-22-2007 at 08:50 PM

aol is one of the most hated ISP in the uk and usa grrrrrr

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by kao on 01-22-2007 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .2007
aol is one of the most hated ISP in the uk and usa grrrrrr
So? It appeals to newbs.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by GiantSpider on 01-22-2007 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AOL Sales Pitch
All of our pre-installed shit is vital for you to run the internet, you need to have this AOL branded clock & windows theme obviously etc
God I hate AOL.

[OFFTOPIC]
To give a demonstration of how bad ISPs are, my grandad had Ntl:Broadband installed. They gave him the usual shit about how he had to install all of their programs & how he had to imput all these weird and wonderful codes & passwords in to make it work. When I re-installed XP, plug & play router, internet. Arseholes.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Supersonicdarky on 01-22-2007 at 10:44 PM

after aol, hotmail probably is 2nd :P

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by linx05 on 01-23-2007 at 12:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
Its AOL.
Are you sure you're not getting the most popular IM mixed up with the most popular email service?
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Nagamasa on 01-23-2007 at 02:49 AM

Well it varies from region to region. In my area (Val and Steven included), almost all of us use Microsoft Messengers. But however, my Californian friends use AOL, which I dont have. Hong Kong seems to have a mix of Yahoo! and MS, which go hand in hand. So it really depends on the area you're in.

Internationally, I really dont know. Isn't that why there is such thing as competition?

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by NiteMare on 01-23-2007 at 04:07 AM

i think its AOL, not only because i work for them (i have the same opinion as you all:P) but basicly its already surpast 30 million in the US not to mention the amount in AOL canada, AOL UK and other areas of the world

EDIT: btw, thats 30 million members, each member having the ability for up to 7 e-mail additional addresses

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Menthix on 01-23-2007 at 04:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
30 million members, each member having the ability for up to 7 e-mail additional addresses
there are also millions of people with internet access in general, each of them having the abbility for up to basically unlimited homtail/gmail/yahoo adresses, that doesn't mean they all do it.

For some stange reason i am curious to see a trusted article with real facts about this question... AOL beating all of the other big 3 in actively used emailadresses would kinda suprise me.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by NiteMare on 01-23-2007 at 04:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
30 million members, each member having the ability for up to 7 e-mail additional addresses
there are also millions of people with internet access in general, each of them having the abbility for up to basically unlimited homtail/gmail/yahoo adresses, that doesn't mean they all do it.

For some stange reason i am curious to see a trusted article with real facts about this question... AOL beating all of the other big 3 in actively used emailadresses would kinda suprise me.
well i don't know if theres an artical, but theres a big poster at work that says AOL...30 million members, and its dated like 2003-2004 or something, so its probualy more.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by ddunk on 01-23-2007 at 05:01 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:

well i don't know if theres an artical, but theres a big poster at work that says AOL...30 million members, and its dated like 2003-2004 or something, so its probualy more.
[Image: mission-accomplished.jpg]

The most recent article I can find on the matter is here. which says
quote:
Originally posted by article
Yahoo! Mail, the world’s largest email service with over 250 million users
Interestingly, http://www.google.com/search?q=largest+email+service returns AOL as the first result :p

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by xJ + on 01-23-2007 at 05:19 AM

Say no more...
Top 10 most popular services (:

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by ddunk on 01-23-2007 at 05:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
Say no more...
That's just some random guy's top 10. It's not based off any statistics.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Danielnonny on 01-23-2007 at 04:21 PM

I think its Hotmail that is what everyone uses.

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Oxy on 01-23-2007 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danielnonny

Not everyone. i know at least half of my contact lists consists of Yahoo! and gmail accounts...

But, my favourite one has to be gmail, i use it for emails.
RE: RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by FineWolf on 01-23-2007 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .OxY
quote:
Originally posted by Danielnonny

Not everyone. i know at least half of my contact lists consists of Yahoo! and gmail accounts...

But, my favourite one has to be gmail, i use it for emails.

And gmail support for multiple accounts is great. I have 6 gmail accounts (at 100 invites each, do the math) which I handle via my main email account.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Eddie on 01-23-2007 at 05:17 PM

I couldnt use gmail nowadays :\ been using Hotmail for far to long *-)

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Lourix on 01-23-2007 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ddunk
quote:
Say no more...

True that list on the "about" website is for top free email services. Even though lots of people supposedly use AOL I havn't seen that many though. I have seen loads of people using yahoo and hotmail aswell. Gmail maybe not because its in BETA I think and its not been fully released.
RE: RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Vilkku on 01-23-2007 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
quote:
Originally posted by ddunk
quote:
Say no more...

True that list on the "about" website is for top free email services. Even though lots of people supposedly use AOL I havn't seen that many though. I have seen loads of people using yahoo and hotmail aswell. Gmail maybe not because its in BETA I think and its not been fully released.

That is top10 on how good it is, not based on how popular it is (how many people use it). My opinion is that Hotmail and Yahoo are both right at the top, I don't know anything about AOL so I can't comment that.
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by RaPLeX on 01-23-2007 at 07:04 PM

Gmail :)

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Fuse on 01-24-2007 at 09:13 AM

i think the best opne is gmail but i still think hotmail is the most popular emai client..

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by joey on 01-24-2007 at 12:18 PM

i love Gamil they've got pretty much everything that MSN/hotmail has and its friendlier too. hotmail is just something theyve come up with and left alone really in my view.

RE: RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by ryxdp on 01-25-2007 at 04:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
They are the crappiest ISP ever

What's the best Aussie ISP then? :P

I predict you say Optus :)
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by rav0 on 01-26-2007 at 11:14 PM

Hotmail is Australia's most popular email service. MSN Messenger was the most popular IM service, though the users are now split into MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger, but if you count the two as one; it's on top.

I use Gmail, nice interface. I don't like Google having all of my web searches and emails, but Gmail is too convenient (I don't sign up for other Google stuff though, and I use separate domains for email and search). I have a Windows Live Mail account, but it's too inconvenient because it's not browser-independant.

Optus is a shit ISP as well. I guess that Bigpond could be called the Aussie AOL, but the real AOL is here as well, and Bigpond doesn't have crappy software bundles, just crappy internet access.

PS the best Aussie ISP is Exetel (H).

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by aNILEator on 01-29-2007 at 04:03 AM

amazingly my talktalk connection has been pretty good recently :O

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Flaming Rob on 01-29-2007 at 07:09 AM

It probally is AOL but i think hotmail is better.

RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Eddie on 01-29-2007 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Westnet by far. Excellent customer service. Except there just turning into another Telstra now.

Btw Optus is allmost as bad as Telstra.
ive only ever seen people with telstra and optus ones *-)
RE: What is the most popular email service in the world? by Miss Swiss on 01-31-2007 at 08:11 PM

Hm, Interesting topic. I'v never really thought about it before.

All I know is that most of my friends use MSN. But I don't know if that makes it the most popular in the world you know. Hehe.