Shoutbox

Drive letters (System and Boot) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Drive letters (System and Boot) (/showthread.php?tid=70996)

Drive letters (System and Boot) by Joe on 01-23-2007 at 11:37 PM

I have 3 Hard drive partitions. I want to format 2 of them I don't use (C: and E:)
Then merge them with the one I do use (D:)

I want to then change my D: drive to the C: drive.
The system tells me I cannot change letter of the boot or system partition.
C: is the system partition and D: is the boot.

without just starting over with everything, which is my backup plan, can I resolve this?

(Basically I want D: to be C:)

RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by Adeptus on 01-24-2007 at 02:22 AM

First, let me state that you shouldn't do it.  It's a very bad idea that will almost certainly mess up your Windows installation.  There is nothing magic about C:, it's simply traditionally been the letter MS operating systems use for the first partition on the first hard drive.  There is NO downside to breaking the tradition and having your system volume use a different drive letter.

That said, if you still want to do it, the following procedure is rumoured to work some of the time:

1) Change the drive letter according to instructions here.

2) Without rebooting, search through the registry for any pathnames containing the old drive letter ("D:\") and change them to the new one.  You may also wish to search your hard drive for any application .INI files and correct paths contained in those, but that shouldn't be critical for Windows itself.

3) Pray to whatever deity you worship and reboot.

4) If you have an unusable system, proceed with a repair instal.  If you only have some unusable applications, reinstall them.

The only time I've done this was years ago, on an NT4 machine.  It worked fine that time.

P.S. Due to the way Windows 2000/XP installs its bootloader, there is a good chance your system will become unbootable after you kill or format your C: partition.  If that happens, you should also proceed with the repair install.

RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by ziegas on 01-24-2007 at 04:25 AM

If you really want to change it , I recommend you to use Power Quest Magic ver. 8, it the easiest way to merged and format you hard drive. version 8 is a windows base program.

RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by Voldemort on 01-24-2007 at 04:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ziegas
If you want to change it , I recommend you to use Power Quest Magic ver. 8, it the easiest way to merged and format you hard drive. version 8 is a windows base program.
Did you see what he wanted to do? Doing that just like that would render his computer useless....
RE: RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by ziegas on 01-24-2007 at 04:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
If you want to change it , I recommend you to use Power Quest Magic ver. 8, it the easiest way to merged and format you hard drive. version 8 is a windows base program.
Did you see what he wanted to do? Doing that just like that would render his computer useless....

Hhhmm... maybe, but its still he's decision to make... if he is more comfortable with it then go... don't stop the guy from learning.

Anyway here's a demo link:
http://www.click-now.net/html/PartitionMagic.htm
RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by Voldemort on 01-24-2007 at 04:45 AM

quote:
Hhhmm... maybe, but its still he's decision to make... if he is more comfortable with it then go... don't stop the guy from learning.

Still, learning with bad advice will only teach you not to listen to nubs...
RE: RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by ziegas on 01-24-2007 at 04:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:

Still, learning with bad advice will only teach you not to listen to nubs...

OK... fine if that's how you see it... anyway I'm just giving him the option.

Just because you been here too long.. that doesn't mean you are right and superior..! :P
RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by Joe on 01-24-2007 at 02:38 PM

I'm just going to back up everything i need and format the hell out of this thing then. thanks for the help.

RE: Drive letters (System and Boot) by MeEtc on 01-24-2007 at 02:45 PM

What I would do is back up all of the files to a second drive, from whatever partitions you have. Fdisk and format the first hard drive, then copy everything back to it. Windows probably will need to be repaired, but keep your backup until it works right.