Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! a trojan virus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus (/showthread.php?tid=71105)

Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Masky on 01-27-2007 at 09:31 PM

One of my friends on MSN says that Mcafee Site Advisor claims the Messenger Plus! software a trojan horse. Heres a link to it. http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/msgpluslive.net . I want something done about this.

UPDATE: Just let this thread die.

-Masky :)

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Chocolatino on 01-27-2007 at 09:32 PM

i already posted that

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Masky on 01-27-2007 at 09:40 PM

Where is the original topic? I can't find it.

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Chocolatino on 01-27-2007 at 09:41 PM

i think it got deleted im having a look

Edit: this is kind of what i posted http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=39...d=401324#pid401324

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Masky on 01-27-2007 at 09:53 PM

Patchou should talk to the guys at Mcafee about this. This problem has to be resolved.

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by ryxdp on 01-27-2007 at 10:04 PM

SiteAdvisor is not always right. The "Trojan" you're looking for is actually a stripped-down version of something or other. It is adware, and relatively harmless.:undecided: Though you probably knew that.

I don't believe Patchou is planning to talk to the guys at SiteAdvisor any time soon. He has better things to do :P

Let people believe what they want to, the sponsor is not a trojan, never will be, and never has been. ^o)

(I know this is useless, but seriously, Masky should ignore SiteAdsvisor's false readings:dodgy:)

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Masky on 01-27-2007 at 10:07 PM

I am ignoring the false readings. It's just that its bugging me a little.

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Chocolatino on 01-27-2007 at 10:11 PM

to make it better there are millions of people using messenger plus and not one trojan problem so there.

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Baggins on 01-27-2007 at 10:14 PM

unless you count those real trojans that people rename

There have been a few problems due to the sponsor including patchou losing his active mvp status

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by ryxdp on 01-27-2007 at 10:16 PM

AFAIK, the only thing you can do to help it get a green is vote positive for it, but even then it's only one in like, a million:undecided:

(Useless again :()

EDIT: 123 posts! :P

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Chocolatino on 01-27-2007 at 10:24 PM

can someone lock this already?

RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by Baggins on 01-27-2007 at 10:25 PM

I agree with Masky though, like

quote:
Originally posted by BlueBla on siteadvisor.com
YUCK! The stupid NameCostumizer script almost crashed my computer down. Good thing McAfee stopped it :-) Never download or trust anything from this website!!!!
that stuff pisses me off so much i want to DDoS attack their site

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by CookieRevised on 01-27-2007 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
There have been a few problems due to the sponsor including patchou losing his active mvp status
Get your facts straight... The only "problems" which triggered the revocation of Patchou's active status (note: "active" !!!!!!) were due to some people having personal problems with him being an MVP, and that is it!!! The reasons those people gave for wanting his status revoked were massively based upon hear-say from others and nothing else; they even gave so called 'examples' which had nothing todo with the sponsor program bundled with Plus! what-so-ever...

Unfortunatly I can not proof this in public since I would be breaking the MVP NDA....

quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
I agree with Masky though, like
quote:
YUCK! The stupid NameCostumizer script almost crashed my computer down. Good thing McAfee stopped it :-) Never download or trust anything from this website!!!!
that stuff pisses me off so much i want to DDoS attack their site
And lowering yourself to their level?

-----------------------

And what those sites like siteadvisor.com do not tell you is that the sponsor can only be installed if you explicitly tell the setup to install it. The sponsor is never installed by default and never automatically. In that aspect even siteadvisor.com does not make any sense since one 'analysis' says the Plus! setup is perfectly clean to the last bit and the other say it contains the swizzor trojan, while there was nothing changed in the setup at all... Shows how 'reliable' such sites are and how much you need to take all this with a big grain of salt.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by FineWolf on 01-28-2007 at 06:08 AM

quote:

Good job anonymous user... Posting on some crappy website instead of on the forums so that I could fix the problem with the script. Whatever.
RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by John Anderton on 01-28-2007 at 08:07 AM

Ok this might be a bit picky but..

quote:
Originally posted by The topic
Messenger Plus! a trojan virus
A trojan isn't the same as a virus :)
Just thought I should clear that point :)

Anyway, McAfee is making an incorrect reading. Messenger Plus! Live is perfectly fine :)
As long as you download the installer from the official site there is nothing you need to worry about :)
RE: Messenger Plus! a trojan virus by CookieRevised on 01-28-2007 at 05:27 PM

...playing the advocate of the devil here, but ...

John Anderton, if they say Plus! or its setup is a virus/trojan, then they are indeed wrong.

However if they say "it comes bundled with" as they actually do (AFAIK and IIRC) then they are actually correct.

Don't dismiss things too soonish. Words should be choosen carefully AND read/interpreted correctly...