Shoutbox

are you running Windows Vista final? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: are you running Windows Vista final? (/showthread.php?tid=71158)

are you running Windows Vista final? by ~INVASION~ on 01-29-2007 at 05:01 AM

yay or nay or both?

and what do you think of it if you are?

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Val on 01-29-2007 at 05:10 AM

I am running Mac OS X, so I guess that is a no. :p

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Kenji on 01-29-2007 at 05:11 AM

Ignor all the people that moan about it being buggy, because its not. All the time ive been using Vista i have had only one BSOD, and that was in the beta.

For me, it is faster than XP. as i went back to XP for a few weeks, i couldnt stand it as i had got used to all the features of Vista.

Im using XP now though as my PC suddenly decided to crap out on me,  but i should be getting that sorted tomorow.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by ~INVASION~ on 01-29-2007 at 05:23 AM

yes, i find it alot more stable also, runs smoother then xp for me and is way safer, the black screen that notifys the user about program actions is wonderful, plus yoou get use to it very quick and it just helps alot IMO

plus ive started messin around with the login screen and whatnot so thats pretty cool, no longer green aurora now its blue, looks much cooler

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by RebelSean on 01-29-2007 at 05:58 AM

Waiting on it to arrive, if that counts :p.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Eddie on 01-29-2007 at 08:11 AM

i have the RTM, but i also have XP on backup in case something happens *-) Works well for me :)

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by ziegas on 01-29-2007 at 08:31 AM

Nope...  Im still using XP,  I'll wait ti'll Vista goes to bloom...  some software are not supported. :P

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Hank on 01-29-2007 at 10:12 AM

should be in stores jan 30th in Australia here, even though im not sure well 100% sure bout it yet, im thining of buying Vista Ultimate Upgrade, ,, not the full ,,costs about $50 more than Vista Home Premium does/will, Aussie Vista Prices

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by MeEtc on 01-29-2007 at 12:35 PM

I haven't yet and probably never will. My comp doesn't meet system requirements to install Vista. Actually, I was getting ready to upgrade XP from Home to Pro sometime this week

* MeEtc <3's MSDNAA

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by RaPLeX on 01-29-2007 at 12:47 PM

both xp and vista.But im still using xp.I got vista rc1,sometimes im testing it :P

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Rolando on 01-29-2007 at 01:01 PM

Not.. yet.

I'm on xp atm.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by albert on 01-29-2007 at 02:21 PM

I would love to upgrade.. But my specs are making me doubt if I should.

athlon xp 2800+
468 ram (stupid ati video card eating 64MB)

RE: RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Jesus on 01-29-2007 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
the black screen that notifys the user about program actions is wonderful

I find that option extremely annoying.
Ofcourse it's extra protection and stuff, but I just want to do whatever I want on my pc, regardless of what micro$oft thinks of it. Until now, every time it showed up on my pc, it was totally unnecessary and just plain annoying. I ended up disabling it, causing this annoying icon with the balloon ("your computer is gonna die if you don't click me") to show up every 3 secs. So I disabled that one too, but now it doesn't warn me for anything anymore, while I would like it to be enabled for other security settings.

I know, the above is a bit exaggerated, but it really annoys me how m$ pushes their obtrusive way of securing a system, without the possibility of disabling just parts of that security. It's all or none this way.
Also, I don't think it is a very effective way of securing any system. Most PC users, including myself, tend to click the button which will most likely allow them to continue with what they were doing if you interrupt their actions with such a popup, especially if it's a false alarm most of the time.

IMO, there could be a lot of improvements to vista, the above being  only one of them, and for now, I'll stick with XP for a little longer

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Menthix on 01-29-2007 at 03:11 PM

XP as main OS and playing with Vista in VMware since 2 days. Not liking Vista at all so far :(.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by ins4ne on 01-29-2007 at 03:20 PM

No and I won't until SP1 (minimum). XP is running stable with no problems. So why should I replace it with an OS that only can be same or worse (what it will be)?

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by saralk on 01-29-2007 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I find that option extremely annoying.
Ofcourse it's extra protection and stuff, but I just want to do whatever I want on my pc, regardless of what micro$oft thinks of it. Until now, every time it showed up on my pc, it was totally unnecessary and just plain annoying. I ended up disabling it, causing this annoying icon with the balloon ("your computer is gonna die if you don't click me") to show up every 3 secs. So I disabled that one too, but now it doesn't warn me for anything anymore, while I would like it to be enabled for other security settings.

I know, the above is a bit exaggerated, but it really annoys me how m$ pushes their obtrusive way of securing a system, without the possibility of disabling just parts of that security. It's all or none this way.
Also, I don't think it is a very effective way of securing any system. Most PC users, including myself, tend to click the button which will most likely allow them to continue with what they were doing if you interrupt their actions with such a popup, especially if it's a false alarm most of the time.

IMO, there could be a lot of improvements to vista, the above being  only one of them, and for now, I'll stick with XP for a little longer

I think its a good idea, and it will probably help a lot of people.

However, I think it'd have been better if they blacked out the program that was causing the problem and the password screen came in that window. So all the other programs would still work.

Although you'd have to find a way of dealing with programs that didn't have a window.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Mike on 01-29-2007 at 04:18 PM

No, I'm not using it.

I have downloaded build 6000 though, but haven't installed it (yet?).
I don't think I will be installing it in the near future because the only computer that can handle Ultimate is my brother's computer (Core 2 Duo 6400, Nvidia Geforce 7600GT 2x512MB RAM) however, he doesn't want it :'(

I have installed RC1 though on VMWare (on his computer) and I can't really enjoy it because of the virtual video device lacking the ability to use the original's graphic card's features.

I have also installed RC1 on a friend, and played with it a little.

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
the black screen that notifys the user about program actions is wonderful
Have to agree with Jesus here, I didn't like it for the time I played with Vista on my friend's computer.
It takes some time to show up (about 0.5~1 sec) and it is really picky when a program attempts to do something (for example: "Hey this program is trying to use FindWindow to find the hWnd of a control! :O This can be very dangerous, and you should not allow it! Do you want to deny access to the program to use FindWindow?" or when copying files to another HDD: "You must take ownership of this folder before copying files to it" :dodgy:)
RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Felu on 01-29-2007 at 04:32 PM

I have Vista Beta 2 and i'm using it on VMWare. Also i use Windows XP MCE sometimes :P.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Supersonicdarky on 01-29-2007 at 04:51 PM

i'm waiting for a better crack (not the stupid time stopper, but something that will actually activate it)

:tongue:

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Mike on 01-29-2007 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i'm waiting for a better crack (not the stupid time stopper, but something that will actually activate it)

:tongue:
Use the trick that you have to activate every months? (A) (I have said way too much)
RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Kenji on 01-31-2007 at 07:35 AM

Im using legal vista now, got my new PC with Vista :cheesy:

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by trini on 01-31-2007 at 08:40 PM

XP on c: drive and Vista on d: as I need XP for some programs, that do not work under Vista.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Vilkku on 01-31-2007 at 08:47 PM

I'm getting a legal Vista once I get a new computer or get into uni (meaning, if I haven't upgraded my comp by the time I start at uni). I might warez it before, but atm I'm gonna stick to XP, the only thing I really like about Vista is DX10, and I need a new graphics card for that anyway.

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by vaccination on 01-31-2007 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
Waiting on it to arrive, if that counts :p.

x2
RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Supersonicdarky on 01-31-2007 at 10:30 PM

if you're buying it, buy the upgrade because you can install cleanly if you want

assuming your drive is blank:
1) boot in vista
2) install w/ out key (any version)
3) complete the process, and log in
4) start installation from vista, and select upgrade
5) install this time using your key
6) delete the windows folder from the first installation after it completes

hax =P

RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Kenji on 01-31-2007 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
if you're buying it, buy the upgrade because you can install cleanly if you want

assuming your drive is blank:
1) boot in vista
2) install w/ out key (any version)
3) complete the process, and log in
4) start installation from vista, and select upgrade
5) install this time using your key
6) delete the windows folder from the first installation after it completes

hax =P
Source?
RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by absorbation on 01-31-2007 at 10:36 PM

I have not ran it yet, however I have the RTM build on disk, and I can claim Home Premium if I want, which I will, if I can be arsed :P.

RE: RE: are you running Windows Vista final? by Supersonicdarky on 01-31-2007 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmo
Source?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932