Shoutbox

Messenger Live! Crashes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Messenger Live! Crashes (/showthread.php?tid=71250)

Messenger Live! Crashes by OlafCZ on 01-31-2007 at 08:21 PM

Hi all,
first I would like to thank for this cool extension. I have been using it for several months and I've found it very very useful. (Y) But yesterday, after IE 7 installation, Windows Messenger Live started crashing. Don't know why. I tried to uninstall WinMessgenger, as well as msgPlus! and A-Patch, I reinstalled them but the problem occur every time I install msgPlus!. :| Really don't know what's wrong. And I am not sure if IE 7 is behind it cuz my friends use IE 7 simultaneously with this package and they don't see any problems.

I looked at Event viewer and found some strange error reports. The problem is that I can't copy it since it is not in English and I am not sure if my translation would help you guys. ;) But I will try to.

Well, it says something like "It's impossible to find the description of the event (1000) in the source (Windows Live Messegner). The computer might not have registry information or the library files (DLL) with the reports needed to display the events from a remote computer. To get this description you can use the parameter /AUXSOURCE=flag. Another information can be found in Help. The parts of this event are following information: msnmsgr.exe; 8.1.178.0; 45b12d6a; riched20.dll; 5.40.11.2218; 41941afb; 0; 00001700."

I am using latest Windows Messenger Live, Win XP Home, latest msgPlus! (used 4.11 while the problem occured) and the latest A-Patch.

When the Messengermain window opens it gets frozen. After trying to close it, it reportes some unknown problem and is trying to send information to MS. When not using msgPlus pack it runs without any problem.

Another info about what I changed last night. I added a new veriosn of IEVIew to Miranda plugins folder and reinstalled Windows Media Player 11. That's it.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Olaf

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by Sunshine on 01-31-2007 at 08:26 PM

Have you tried it without A-Patch?

Change the installation sequence and test inbetween to find out wether it's Plus! or A-patch...sequence i'd do is WLM, Plus!Live..test...A-patch...test again.

You may also want to update Adobe flash Player.

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by OlafCZ on 01-31-2007 at 08:32 PM

Yup, I did. As I said, the problem occurs as soon as I install MsgPlus. :^)

Well, there is some report.

AppName: msnmsgr.exe      AppVer: 8.1.178.0     AppStamp:45b12d6a
ModName: riched20.dll      ModVer: 5.40.11.2218      ModStamp:41941afb
fDebug: 0       Offset: 00001704

I think the problem might be with riched20.dll. I will try a different version...

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by Sunshine on 01-31-2007 at 08:47 PM

If you already updated your flash player aswell then the best thing you can do is do a fresh install of everything.

1. Follow all instructions (point 1 to 9) provided in Completely remove (MSN/Windows Live) Messenger
2. Redownload and install the latest WLM (8.1.0178) at http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
3. Redownload and install latest Plus!Live from http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/
4. Test it..
5. Redownload and install A-Patch

Edit: see my last post first....sorry i didn't think of that one first...

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by OlafCZ on 01-31-2007 at 08:48 PM

Didn't help. I also tried to uninstall IE 7, didn't work either. Well, if anyone has any idea how to solve this problem, let me know plz, but for today I give up -- don't have that much time to spend on solving this issue; and i dont even know how to solve it. :^)

Olaf

OK, thanks, I will try this. :-)
RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by Sunshine on 01-31-2007 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by OlafCZ
OK, thanks, I will try this. :-)
Don't forget to update your Windows regurarly aswell ;)

One thing more you can do (that might solve it) before you do a fresh install:
Have you ever used/do you use SmileyCentral or SweetIM? If so, uninstall it. Also make sure there's no riched20.dll in C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger (delete it if it is).
RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by OlafCZ on 01-31-2007 at 09:25 PM

Oh well, this didn't work either. ^o) I really give up. Messenger works fine unless I instal msgPlus. Don't know what's wrong. Like I said, it used to work fine with it and with a-patch as well for a long time. Yesterday it screwed up. You know, there are many things between the Earth and the heaven... :S

new message:

And have a look at this:
http://muj.edisk.cz/soubor/stahni/60004/msn-head.png_16.59kB.html

Olaf

Sorry, this is the new message:

ModName: unknown      ModVer: 0.0.0.0      ModStamp:00000000
fDebug: 0       Offset: abeff541

Well, the Messenger is not FROZEN completely; I can move it around the screen, I can resize it but the displayed part remains the same, that means the contact list (graphical part) does not move. Simply I can't do anything inside the contact list. Ya know what I mean? ;)

Here we go:
http://muj.edisk.cz/soubor/stahni/24984/msn.png_43.97kB.html

Update:
Interesting, though there is no Riched20.dll in MSN folder, now it says  the same again:

I tried to look at system32 folder to make sure IE 7 installation didn't change the Riched20.dll. No, it didn't. *-) There is still the same version...
OK, I got it. |-) The problem is in Riched20.dll in system32 and its backup in dllcache. I am using Riched20.dll v4.0 because v3.0 caused many problems with Czech fonts (diacritics). Riched20.dll from Office XP solves this font problem but as I can see now it causes new problems in combination with MsgPlus. I  also tried to use Riched v5.0 from Office11 (Office 2003) but Messenger crashes with this library immediately.

So I would like to ask someone who is the developer of msgPlus whether it's possible to fix this bug. ;) Simpy it has to be compatible with Riched20.dll v4.0  (file 5.40.11.2218).

But it is weird, cuz I have used Riched20.dll v4.0 for several weeks and I've encountered no problems... just since yesterday I have been having them. Uummm...

Olaf

quote:
You may also want to update Adobe flash Player.
I did before. But like I said, the main problem is in the library. I overwrote (30 minutes ago) v4.0 back to v3.0 and it worked fine (with msgPlus). But I can't use this version as it causes problems, too (with font). I have to use Riched20.dll v4.0 (In C:\Windows\System32). But I am still wondering how is that possible that during several past weeks it was working fine with this higher version and started causing problem yesterday. Weird. :( I guess IE 7 installation must have changed something... Dunno. But if there was some hope to make the future version of msgPlus compatible with Riched20.dll v4.0 I would be really, really happy. ;)

Ok, is here anyone who would confirm that msgPlus uses Riched20.dll from system32? Is it possible to modify Plus so it can also use Riched20 from Plus folder if the library from System32 is not suitable? Or any idea how to solve this issue? Any way around?
RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by OlafCZ on 02-03-2007 at 11:38 PM

Could anyone send the description of this bug to Patchou? I tried to but "I may not..." 8-) Indeed, it is Riched20.dll problem. When I tried to use v3.0, there was no problem. Now I overwrote it back to v4.0 (I have to due to Czech characters problem) and MSN is crashing again (only when msgPlus is installed).

Cheers,
Olaf.

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by OlafCZ on 02-09-2007 at 01:43 AM

Well, still awaiting some advice. :(

I don't get only riched20.dll error but also following:

ModName: msgpluslive.dll      ModVer: 4.11.0.254      ModStamp:456c1bc0
fDebug: 0       Offset: 00207768

Patchou, did you read my reports?

When I open Win Messenger Live, it works. As soon as it is connected to the Internet the contact list gets screwed up. I can't click on anything, I don't see anyone online. But I can click on msgPlus icon and it's working. But look at the panel.

http://muj.edisk.cz/soubor/stahni/60004/msn-head.png_16.59kB.html

Olaf

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by Patchou on 02-09-2007 at 04:21 AM

Hello,

your richedit problem seems rather strange. Technically, newer versions of the richedit controls are implemented in msftedit.dll, not riched20.dll. Could you do some tests with msftedit?

You can email me at mplus@patchou.com.

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by bac on 02-22-2007 at 01:05 PM

discovery doesn't works.......how ?
does the discovery  must be (his logo X) must be when I'm signin in...?

RE: Messenger Live! Crashes by fenrirr on 12-08-2007 at 05:24 PM

my problem is when i'm trying to sign in, it freezes and i get that error.

AppName: msnmsgr.exe      AppVer: 8.5.1302.1018     AppStamp:4717a53b
ModName: ntdll.dll      ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180      ModStamp:412298d5
fDebug: 0       Offset: 00002233

i uninstalled and reinstalled it but the messenger doesnt work.i installed the newest windows live and messenger plus live 423.
what should i do?