Shoutbox

police scaners - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: police scaners (/showthread.php?tid=71360)

police scaners by Discrate on 02-04-2007 at 02:22 AM

Is it illegal to listen in on a police scanner in the united states or in australia?

RE: police scaners by Menthix on 02-04-2007 at 02:24 AM

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanner_(radio)#Legal_issues

RE: police scaners by CookieRevised on 02-04-2007 at 02:25 AM

Google is friend

http://www.police-scanner.info/scanning/police-scanner-laws.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanner_(radio) > Legal issues

RE: police scaners by Discrate on 02-04-2007 at 04:51 AM

:| Thank you for the links.

RE: police scaners by Adeptus on 02-04-2007 at 05:25 AM

While this may not be exactly the answer you are looking for, I find it completely absurd and unenforceable to make it illegal to listen to any unencrypted radio communication.  Security is something to be accomplished by intelligent design, not legislation.

Personally, if I had any interest any radio communication, on any band, I would listen to it.  It doesn't concern me in the least how legal it is; if someone wishes their communications to be private, they should take the proper technical measures to prevent observation.  If they can't be bothered, tough -- only idiots live in a world where everybody plays by their rules.

Additionally, the possibility of such monitoring being detected is practically zero.

RE: police scaners by joey on 02-05-2007 at 03:50 PM

so long as you don't say anything...!i know in england, they  like to track you down and really punish you if your caught. but our police are crap and need shotting.hi if anyone reading is a cop.

RE: police scaners by qgroessl on 02-06-2007 at 05:21 AM

Yeah... if you'd get a Radio and started to talk on their frequencies they'd track you down... and then there's something against that... But if you get a trunking scanner you can listen in all you want (US anyways)... my family, my dad's an EMT and firefighter, 1 brother is an EMT and another one is a firefighter... so we have one in hour house... but then I know a lotta people that have one just because they can. link for scanners

RE: police scaners by Discrate on 02-06-2007 at 05:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I am selling an online police scanner that i have made :) you can download the demo with 2 channels or buy it and it comes with 10 channels, all of them are live.

RE: police scaners by ddunk on 02-06-2007 at 06:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Thanks for the info. I am selling an online police scanner that i have made :) you can download the demo with 2 channels or buy it and it comes with 10 channels, all of them are live.
Do you have permission to be selling these streams? I'm pretty sure these people that you're stealing streams from wouldn't be too happy if they knew you were charging for their free service.
RE: RE: police scaners by Discrate on 02-06-2007 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ddunk
quote:
Do you have permission to be selling these streams? I'm pretty sure these people that you're stealing streams from wouldn't be too happy if they knew you were charging for their free service.

We have permission.
RE: police scaners by joey on 02-06-2007 at 09:46 AM

you don't want to be breaking any rules now do you? lol

RE: RE: police scaners by Vimto on 02-06-2007 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ichooselife128
...our police are crap and need shooting...

RE: police scaners by joey on 02-07-2007 at 10:14 AM

its true! a couple of months ago i got beaten up by this chav, and my friend saw him running away and took a picture of him, we both knew who he was and had good evidence that it was him, so they arrrested him and he said he was im the pub playing domino's with his mate, and they let him off scott-free. to make it worse he attacked one of my mates and got away with that too.

RE: RE: police scaners by Vimto on 02-07-2007 at 12:50 PM

quote:
... pub playing domino's with his mate, ...

Sounds like a real thug 8-)
RE: police scaners by Spunky on 02-07-2007 at 01:00 PM

quote:
its true! a couple of months ago i got beaten up by this chav, and my friend saw him running away and took a picture of him, we both knew who he was and had good evidence that it was him, so they arrrested him and he said he was im the pub playing domino's with his mate, and they let him off scott-free. to make it worse he attacked one of my mates and got away with that too.

Even if CCTV picks somebody up doing something, they can still deny it and get away scott free as they can always say that it's justa likeness. Pictures aren't evidence at all (especially if it's only of them running away and not actually of them comitting a crime ^o)). Even if they could prove it was him, he would be let of with a warning and probably wouldn't even be cautioned (especially if they're under 18). It's not the police thats crap in this country, it's the law... We're too politically correct. The law needs to get tough again...

[/rant]
RE: police scaners by Voldemort on 02-08-2007 at 01:06 AM

quote:
We have permission.
then tell me why ask if its legal?

RE: RE: police scaners by Discrate on 02-09-2007 at 05:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
We have permission.